PDA

View Full Version : GLHS Repaint

Turbo224
06-22-2009, 02:57 AM
The last few months I have regretable sold off my two GLH Omni's and my wrecked IROC R/T due to lack of time and space, however the good thing about thinning the herd is that I will finally have time to work on my GLHS which I bought a few years back and haven't touched. It is far from a survivor, and has sat unused for many years, so chances are it probably wont go back to 100% stock under the hood. My question is about the outside. Rumor has it that this is one of a few 87 S' that were actually painted by the original dealer when they were slow to sell. Im not a huge fan of the paint scheme that was picked, nor do I know if this is even true. I cant decide if I should try to respray it to preserve the only thing unique about it, or just go back to all black. So thats my question really. I dont have the time or the money for a full restoration, but I would like to get it back on the road and looking respectable. Any suggestions?

Chad T
06-22-2009, 07:05 AM
I say do a solid color. If you change from black you'll have to paint under the hood, inside the doors etc.

rare_ram
06-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Back to black.

1966 dart wagon
06-22-2009, 09:30 AM
all black, or a black and gray/silver :D

johnl
06-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah, back to stock scheme, get the graphics, done.

GLHS592
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Whatever you do, don't keep the current scheme.

blk86trbo
06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
My opinion is, if you can verify that the paint was altered by the original dealer, that you should put it back to the way it was when the original owner bought it.

I'm not a huge fan of the paint scheme, but you would have an interesting and unique story to tell, and it would definitely be one of a kind...kinda like a cousin to Alan's red GLHS.

2.216VTurbo
06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Now why would a dealer repaint a brand new car:D?

ScottD
06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Alan's car looks sharp though. If you kept that paint scheme it would be the ugly cousin to Alan's car.

I think that Alan's car is well documented. Unless you can turn up some strong documentation that supports/proves which dealer resprayed your car like that, re-spraying that scheme to me would only de-value the car.

It'd be one thing if it was an attractive paint scheme, but it is just not very attractive in my opinion.

Clay
06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, as much as I dislike the paint scheme, if I could verify somehow that it was a dealer repaint, I would keep it that way.

Marcus86GLHS
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
taking a different angle, i'm one who doesn't think dealer modifications add value or collectibility to any car, dealer-made changes more often do the opposite (not to say some dealer changes aren't very cool though). For your GLHS i'd stick with the way it looked as it left the Shelby plant.

MNmopar
06-22-2009, 03:11 PM
^ I agree. Just because some clown at the dealer decided that he could paint it "cooler" than Shelby did, that doesn't make it more valuable or in fact "cooler" than it would be stock.

Why honor the clown at the dealership over Carroll Shelby?

That's just me though.

I'd go back to how it left the Shelby plant too.

ScottD
06-22-2009, 03:15 PM
taking a different angle, i'm one who doesn't think dealer modifications add value or collectibility to any car, dealer-made changes more often do the opposite (not to say some dealer changes aren't very cool though). For your GLHS i'd stick with the way it looked as it left the Shelby plant.

Good point. Some dealers in the 70s turned Superbirds back into Road Runners. I don't think anyone would leave a Superbird a Road Runner because some dealer did that.

I think it depends on the tastefulness of the mod. Alan's car looks great, I would never recommend repainting his car black. But this particular car I just don't think the paint scheme is appealling.

Turbo224
06-23-2009, 02:40 AM
It sounds to me that the uglyness of this car will be the downfall of it's paint scheme. :p I am pretty much on board with everyone else here. I dont normally care for stripes or graphics of any sort, so I have always planned on going back to black. I think once the car is put together and running I will end up selling it for money towards an 86 S, so it is nice to know that going black seems to be the consensus.

glhs571
06-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Well there are a few options here, and it all depends on how much you are willing to do.
a) you could paint it all silver like the one that is on it and maybe have dave @ positive impressions make you an all black decal set for a glhs (just like GLHS592's 85 shelby charger), I think that would be a pretty neat looking color scheme for it!
b) paint it black as others have suggested, I am assuming you'll go this route since you plan on selling it although I personally think the 87's are more sportier looking than the 86's but hey that's just my opnion, to each their own.

And for the record I kinda like the paint combo on it now, even though it may not be the stock black from shelby it adds a sort of uniqueness to it. By the way, I'm guessing this is a ca car? Based off looking at what number it is...

shellboy
06-24-2009, 02:11 PM
seeing the curent paint made vomit in my mouth, but just a little bit. yuk!!! go back to black!

WickedShelby88
06-24-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm glad someone else likes the 86 better than the 87. That will mean one more 87 on the market soon enough:thumb: I voted black, but I do have my eye on a certain garnet red car;)

cordes
06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I too think you should leave it the same.

omni_840
06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I voted back to black, I just like the looks of a black car :)

rich tideswell
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I voted back to black unless you can prove the car was painted that way by the original selling dealer. i seriously doubt it left the dealer that way though.

168glhs1986
06-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Do not paint it like existing. When this car came out, the drug crack started to become popular and I suspect the owner of the dealership was smoking it when he thought this paint scheme would add value. Now, the red/black 87, that's nice...

STEVE B
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I would paint it any color you want too. That is because you are not going back to stock. I would paint it Viper blue with the silver decals. That would be sharp. I think the paint job that is on it now is dated to the late 80's. Remember it is your car go with what you want to paint. If I remeber this car. You bought it with no motor right? So their going numbers matching anyways.
Steve

Turbo224
06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
http://www.dvd-mag.com.ua/b1/aktciamay.gif (http://www.dvd-mag.com.ua)

dvd фильмы (http://www.dvd-mag.com.ua) ангелы и демоны купить blu ray (http://www.dvd-mag.com.ua)

Thats quite possibly the worst spam attempt ever! :) Atleast put it in english........

MILKCARTON
06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Paint it black would be cool to me, but its your car paint any color you want!

skitzo_inc
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm on board with most the other posters, back to black, that paint scheme needs to dissapear.

spoolinhard
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Oddly enough Ive found this paint scheme interesting. I remember when it was for sale on ebay. If its deal redo it.

168glhs1986
05-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Did you paint it?

Captain Chaos
05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Did you paint it?

No but you just made me vote! lol

Turbo224
05-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Did you paint it?

Not yet, I am working on getting it running first. I am painting the engine compartment black before I put a motor in there so it will look nice. I think I will end up painting the whole car back to black.