PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an oil pan?

ShadowBrad
04-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm going to be assembling my hybrid here in a couple days and I was wondering what the best way to clean an oil pan would be? Or if there was a place I could get a decently priced stock new one. I've cut a pan apart before and there is a thin layer of crap between the 2 layers of pan. BTW this is a 2.2L CB.

TIA,
Brad

CletusJones
04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
As long as the inside is clean and it's structurally sound that's probably good enough, yes?

Turbodave
04-28-2006, 11:05 AM
The comon block pans have an extra piece glued to the inside to dampen noise. Unfortunately crap also gets stuck behind this piece. I usually clean in the solvent tank, then spray really good behind those baffles with brake cleaner. Then back in the solvent tank again. I've seen new pans on ebay for less than $100.

ShadowBrad
04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys. Sounds like a plan to me. :thumb:

CletusJones
04-28-2006, 12:42 PM
The comon block pans have an extra piece glued to the inside to dampen noise. Unfortunately crap also gets stuck behind this piece. I usually clean in the solvent tank, then spray really good behind those baffles with brake cleaner. Then back in the solvent tank again. I've seen new pans on ebay for less than $100.
Really? Is it just a liner or is there airspace between the two layers?

Turbodave
04-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Really? Is it just a liner or is there airspace between the two layers?

There is airspace and adhesive of some type between the two layers, they don't cover the whole pan, but are glued in on the front bottom and rear to help dampen noise. They provide a lot of spots for junk to collect.

CletusJones
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
There is airspace and adhesive of some type between the two layers, they don't cover the whole pan, but are glued in on the front bottom and rear to help dampen noise. They provide a lot of spots for junk to collect.
That's weird. How much noise does it dampen?
(read: how much will I hear if I remove the baffling?)

turbovanmanČ
04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
It dampens the little annoying vibrations and sounds. You can remove it and probably won't notice. The best and honestly, only real way to clean it is take it to a machine shop and have them clean it in there hot jet washer. It will get rid of every piece of crap in there.

ShadowBrad
04-28-2006, 08:01 PM
It dampens the little annoying vibrations and sounds. You can remove it and probably won't notice. The best and honestly, only real way to clean it is take it to a machine shop and have them clean it in there hot jet washer. It will get rid of every piece of crap in there.

Hmm...Seems like a better idea to me. I might just knock the sound deadening layer out of it before I have it cleaned just for extra insurance. The pan I cut up had what looked like soot between the 2 layers and that would drive me nuts wondering if it all came out or not. Thanks for the good ideas. :D

Dave
04-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Can we get any performance by removing that sound deadening? Extra windage from the crank could be getting caught in that space?

Stevien1
04-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Cut the small pinch welds out with a grinder and remove the sound damper material, or whatever is left of it. Sucks to be you when that stuff works its way to the oil pickup after a trip through the parts washer. That or buy a new or a performance oil pan.....

-Chuck James

cordes
04-28-2006, 10:07 PM
+1 for the brake cleaner. It works pretty well.

WOP'R
04-29-2006, 12:43 AM
if the pan is bad BRING IT TO A MACHINE SHOP...i bought a pan from the "other forum" that had the bottom end let go. After using 4 cans of brake cleaner there was still alot of crap trapped between the glued on metal and the pan

mark
04-29-2006, 07:07 AM
i just got a new one for a CB off ebay for like 70 bucks.

it does not have the sound deadening layer and in any future removals will be a lot easier to clean

Whorse
04-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I use aircraft aluminum stripper for oil and crap under my VC, but I'm not sure if you could get it between the two levels very easily as it's really really thick and gross.