PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Shelby

trannybuster
06-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone know the make of those rims he has on his GLHS?? Those things are wwwwwwiiiiiiddddeeee.

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
His '86 GLHS? They are the '88 CSX-T Lemans wheels.

badandy
06-19-2009, 06:54 PM
His '86 GLHS? They are the '88 CSX-T Lemans wheels.

Are you sure? I could swear reading that it was wearing Fittipaldi wheels.

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Pretty damn sure

badandy
06-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Pretty damn sure
I could be pretty damn mistaken...but I did read that they were Fittipaldi's...and no I can't produce the article.

If you look real close at how wide they are and the huge lip they are not run of the mill LeMans wheels.

Edit: There was a Fittipaldi wheel like the Lemans...but I seem to remember the face of them being more flat (no I'm not referring to the Aero wheel they had). I also forgot there were different versions of the LeMans wheel made but I believe only 1 was production.

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I remember reading about different versions (widths) of the Lemans wheels too.. the Thrifty race cars had them maybe? damn memory, LOL!

cordes
06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Those wheels on that S do look wide. I'm with Andy on the fittipaldi wheels too. IIRC that was a question in the SDAC trivia thread some time back.

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2009, 07:32 PM
They look a tad wider due to offset...

From the KC Wheel Guide (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=33)

Next up is yet another Shelby wheel, this one is named the LeMans wheel. It was used only on the Shadow-based 1988 Shelby CSX-T, and it measured 6.5" in width but also had a 40mm offset. This unique combination of width and offset makes the LeMans wheels very desirable for race cars - 225s will typically fit with no clearance problems. As used on the CSX-T, the wheels face was polished and the inserts were painted white to match the car. Note also that there are polished centercaps; these seem to frequently disappear from the cars over time. (Would-be CSX-T buyers, beware!) The centercap has been internally restyled a few times; the newer ones seem to stay fastened better.

These look similar?

badandy
06-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Those wheels on that S do look wide. I'm with Andy on the fittipaldi wheels too. IIRC that was a question in the SDAC trivia thread some time back.
The reason I say that with "some" confidence is that I remember reading an article on Shelby's Hans Herman headed Omni (which I'm pretty sure that's the one) and Circa 1986 it had Fittipaldi wheels which look just like the ones still on it...and of course in 1986 the CSX-T was not in production. I *think* the CSX-T wheels were designed after the Fittipaldi's...but again I'm not sure.

cordes
06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
They look a tad wider due to offset...

From the KC Wheel Guide (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=33)

These look similar?

The look nearly the same to me. The ones on the omni still look like they have a wider lip there, but it could be the different angles.

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2009, 07:38 PM
The 40mm ofset is key.. they are good wheels.

Juggy
06-19-2009, 07:41 PM
the ones on the omni, look like the csxt lemans wheels....MINUS the complete inserted part thats usually painted....

notice how u can see the rotor and brake ??? there is alot more of a hole there.

badandy
06-19-2009, 07:44 PM
the ones on the omni, look like the csxt lemans wheels....MINUS the complete inserted part thats usually painted....

notice how u can see the rotor and brake ??? there is alot more of a hole there.
Exactly! The spokes are skinnier...I think.

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Inserts painted black instead of white helps that too... unless they are ... Ported Stockers!? :D

cordes
06-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Inserts painted black instead of white helps that too... unless they are ... Ported Stockers!? :D

:lol:

ETA: There could be no performance increase over those wheels if they are.

black86glhs
06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
:lol:

ETA: There could be no performance increase over those wheels if they are.Yes there would be an increase, they are lighter. Means the car is faster. This is using the ricer theory.:D

BadAssPerformance
06-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Ricer theory? do they have crappy lugnuts you need an adapter to get off? or a name badge on them? :confused2:

Juggy
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM

LOL....yes ported stockers....i was actually going to say that :lol:

i swear it looks like they just machined out the insert area.

or his was the 1st cast proto....then they opted to add more material to strengthen the rim for everyday driving? rather then sit pretty in a million+ dollar collection
:amen:

trannybuster
06-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I like'em!!! Now where do I get a set, I can imagine there spend'y, should I order a bottle of lubricant to go with the fleecing??

4 l-bodies
06-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Are you sure? I could swear reading that it was wearing Fittipaldi wheels.
Guys,
You are both correct. CS #001 car sports the black painted Shelby Lemans wheels 6.5", while the prototype GLHS (the one that was crashed by the media) had the Fittipaldi Aero wheels on it. Apparently not "Aero" enough.:p
They were 6.0". It's pretty clear the Centurian I wheels derived from the Fittipaldi wheels. The Lemans wheels came years later.
BTW I have the Fittipaldi wheels on my GLHT, and Lemans wheels on my SC. One of them will be pulling into SDAC. Not sure which one yet. SC has ice cold R-12. Leaning towards that.
Todd

4 l-bodies
06-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Pretty damn sure

Anybody else notice the non-turbo hood on 001? The vent and bracing must not have cleared the HH intake manifold. I personally know the masi head valvecover is very close to the hood. I don't think a tall block would clear without lowering the motor down a bit.
Todd

jckrieger
06-20-2009, 07:24 PM
I actually run 88 CSXT Lemans wheels on my GLHS and they look stupid-wide on the car. I will have the car, and wheels at SDAC this year if anyone would like to take a look.

-Clark

cordes
06-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I actually run 88 CSXT Lemans wheels on my GLHS and they look stupid-wide on the car. I will have the car, and wheels at SDAC this year if anyone would like to take a look.

-Clark

I will be looking forward to it. I really like the way those wheels look on Shelby's 86' S. I will need to see if they are cool enough to persuade me to give up my 7" wide wheels for them.

Turbo3Iroc
06-21-2009, 12:30 AM
I have a set of catalog wheels slated for my 86. They need recleared though or I would have them on the car now. Been meaning to measure the backspacing difference to a true Lemans wheel.

BadAssPerformance
06-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Anybody else notice the non-turbo hood on 001? The vent and bracing must not have cleared the HH intake manifold. I personally know the masi head valvecover is very close to the hood. I don't think a tall block would clear without lowering the motor down a bit.
Todd

True... sticker delete too.. nice clean car :)