PDA

View Full Version : Need Airbag for my 91 Shadow

fuforums
04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
When I got the Shadow the airbag was blown and it's glued all back but looks like they just tucked it back in.

I'm just wondering if I can find an airbag from a same year dodge and replace it. I know newer ones just unscrew and are a solid "pack" that you just install and plug in. But I'm not sure about the old airbags. Anyone have experience in doing these? It's gray.

The airbag light has been on so long it's cooked the plastic panel but if I could fix the bag and turn the light off it would be ok. Plus, it would be safer I suppose to have it.

thanks

JOe
91 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo 2.5 Intercooled

Murphy
04-27-2006, 08:49 PM
i replaced my airbag after it went off....all is good..light lights up like its soposed to

inmyshadow
04-27-2006, 09:36 PM
I have two grey airbags that I don't need. I'd be willing to send you one, but I'm not sure about mailing an explosive device.

CletusJones
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
When I used to work at a Chevy dealer, UPS made us discharge them before they'd accept shipment. They're a class 3 explosive or something. You'll probably pay out the nose to ship it.

rare_ram
04-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I sold one on e-bay, never even thought about the explosive nature of it.

Reaper1
05-01-2006, 12:33 AM
I had to go through HazMat training when I used to drive for Nissan for when I carried them to body shops. After seeing numerous ones go off for the exact purpose of shipping them back, yeah, I NEVER want one blowing in my face!

CletusJones
05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
We blew one off [when I still worked at the dealer] bag side down once, we never found it. Bag side up they'd jump about 4' off the ground.

turbo xtc
05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
i blew one in a junk yard when i worked in one in omaha my boss was making a point he bolted it to a roof of a car it sounded like a shotgun blast and blew the roof in enough to cave it in and it burnt the paint be careful with them they are dangerous

Reaper1
05-01-2006, 08:21 PM
At Nissan they would gather all of the employees, sit the bag in the center of the shop(bag down), and use a special remote detonator to blow it....they would fly up and hit the 25' ceiling hard enough to dent it and actually to bounce off of it...the fumes are toxic, the powder is toxic, the bag stays hot for about an hour, and it's loud...still don't want one going off in my face...

CletusJones
05-02-2006, 10:05 AM
still don't want one going off in my face...
They're not too terrible. I got clocked in my Dakota right after I got it and the airbags deployed. They had to replace the entire dash and column because of the damage it caused. I don't think I even touched the bag. I saw the collision coming so I ended up bracing myself before impact. The bags are out in an instant though, sounded like a shotgun blast in the cab, they were loud as hell.

Anyway, I wasn't hurt by it at all. I'm glad I sit as far back as the seat goes.