PDA

View Full Version : Plum Crazy Mini!

Lee'sdaytona
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Greetings all.
My old 89 Turbo caravan was getting pretty rusty, and I want to have it for another few years yet. I always loved that old Mopar hot rod color, Plum Crazy Purple, and thought I would try it on my van. Since I just graduated with my teaching degree, I figured I'd treat myself. Should be interesting to see what the students think of it. What do you all think? My father hates it :( I had a vinyl decal shop make an exact copy of the original turbo decals, and I got pin striping which is very close to the stock pinstripe, but this time in black. Van was that burgundy color. I'm going to wait a week for the paint to cure before adding the decals back on.
-Lee

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z19/Leesdaytona/th_IMG_0923.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z19/Leesdaytona/?action=view&current=IMG_0923.jpg)
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z19/Leesdaytona/th_IMG_0924-1.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z19/Leesdaytona/?action=view&current=IMG_0924-1.jpg)

mcsvt
06-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I like it Lee and think it will look even better with the decals :thumb:

rare_ram
06-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Were's the smokey burn out pic?

crazymadbastard
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
dunno, you got that "free candy van man" look to you. :p

Dig the color though! :thumb:

Lee'sdaytona
06-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys. I sure hope I don't have that 'free candy van man' look....going into the teaching profession and all. Ahh well, I'm due for a hair cut, maybe that will clean me up :)
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
06-17-2009, 05:03 PM
by the way, the pic makes it look almost like that stock blue color. But trust me, its purple
-L

Twisted Noodle
06-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I think the hair combined with the shade does it for you.. "hey little girl.. You want some candy?"

Johnny
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Looks good! Pretty wild.

What are you going to teach?

Johnny

cordes
06-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I think it looks pretty good.

Twisted Noodle
06-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Sexual education.. in his mobile classroom... lol :drum:

Alright Alright I'm going to far. I apologize.. I honestly really like the color, and am glad to see someone putting time and money into making it really look nice.

Someday I'll be able to justify owning one to my wife. The only thing is she'll be cracking the same pedophile jokes at me..

Vigo
06-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I like it, but the wheels are dated, i would paint or powdercoat them a dark, matte finish, which i think would make them look better on it. I like the color.

Johnny
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Purple wheels maybe?
Johnny

Lee'sdaytona
06-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Looks good! Pretty wild.

What are you going to teach?

Johnny

Industrial Arts at the high school level. My main thing is woodworking. I'll be teaching 3 periods of woodworking, and 2 of graphic arts. Actually, I do plan to use my van in my teaching:). I plan to take a day off from woods, and teach the kids how to change a tire, and another day, how to jump start a car. Its amazing how many kids that drive have no clue how to do those things.

As for the wheels, yes they are dated, but so is my van. I bought those old American Racing wheels used, and for whatever reason, I can't let them go. I had them on my Daytona as well back in high school.
-Lee

Vigo
06-18-2009, 12:45 PM
i like the purple wheels fairly well... did you get any leftover paint from your paint job?

t3rse
06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
It's the 'stache that's scary...dig the color, but you need to lower it.

turbo84voyager
06-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Looks good Lee. I like the look without the decals. I need to get the ambition to do the body work and paint my 89. Hopefully I will do it this year.

Lee'sdaytona
06-18-2009, 03:16 PM
you know, for the first time, I didn't get the leftover can of paint. Strange. I can't lower it...I use my van for hauling woodworking machines from time to time. I like the height. I'm sure I'll get ragged on for the color from the fellow teachers, but thats ok. I can handle it.
-Lee

omni_840
06-18-2009, 08:45 PM
thats a plum crazy color :D

tsiconquest88
06-18-2009, 10:57 PM
hrm the irony- woodworking???? haha sorry had to say it man. But yea the van looks sweet IMO

LaserXT1986
06-22-2009, 05:51 PM
I had a vinyl decal shop make an exact copy of the original turbo decals, and I got pin striping which is very close to the stock pinstripe, but this time in black. Van was that burgundy color. I'm going to wait a week for the paint to cure before adding the decals back on.

Just so you know for the future, we have some vendors here that do decals including the turbo ones (see the General Vendors area). The decals I have in that area are from the G-body, which were printed....versus the Caravan's which were die-cut. Just wanted to throw this out there should you need anything...mine are exact too (laid over the originals the difference is within .005").

Also, waiting more than a week is advised unless you have had it in the sun all week. Don't rush to put the decals on, let it fully cure. When we do vehicle wraps or vehicle lettering we tell the customer a minimum of 30 days, fwiw.

Will this be at Carlisle this year? Would love to see it up close, VERY nice job!! :):)

Lee'sdaytona
06-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey David,
thanks for the advice! I didn't even think about Chryslers at Carlisle. When is the show, and is it too late to register to have my car in the show? Might be neat to do.
-Lee

LaserXT1986
06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey David,
thanks for the advice! I didn't even think about Chryslers at Carlisle. When is the show, and is it too late to register to have my car in the show? Might be neat to do.
-Lee

July 10-12th (Friday-Sunday) and you can even register at the event.....the voting takes place on Saturday for the prizes, and they give out the trophies on Sunday. A lot of the people who don't go to SDAC this year (myself included) will be there to look and hang out.....I'd definitely enter the van!!! :)

Also I believe Turbos Unleashed and Polybushings (Johnny) will be there as vendors as well.

Lee'sdaytona
06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Thats pretty cool. I don't think my van is show-condition by any means, but the new paint certainly helps. I'll clean up the interior and call it good. I'm going to Vegas for a huge woodworking show, but I think that may be around the 15th. I'll give it some thought. Would be fun to do at least once. :)
-Lee

Sgt Craig
06-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Thats pretty cool. I don't think my van is show-condition by any means, but the new paint certainly helps. I'll clean up the interior and call it good. I'm going to Vegas for a huge woodworking show, but I think that may be around the 15th. I'll give it some thought. Would be fun to do at least once. :)
-Lee

Im most likely taking my van and it is nowhere near as pretty as yours.Ill put it in the fun field.
What day do you think youll go?Maybe we can park the vans together,lol.

Lee'sdaytona
06-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Still up in the air about weather or not I'll go. Most likely Saturday if I do go.
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
06-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Still up in the air about weather or not I'll go. Most likely Saturday if I do go.
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
07-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey Folks, I would definitely like to go. I'll have to register over the phone now, or at the show. Just the day. Seems like Saturday is the day to be there, but my mom could really use me that day to drive her down to this meeting...she doesn't like long distance drives, and well, I'm the only one that can take her if I don't go to the show Saturday. When is the next best day to go? I'm going to get the pinstripes and decals installed and clean up the inside too :)
-Lee