PDA

View Full Version : '85 Rods & Pistons in an '86 Block

Spraynlog
06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm freshening up the 2.2 T1 motor that I salvaged out of the '86 Woody I had. I have a set of '85 pistons and rods that I would like to put in the '86 block, to raise the compression a bit. I'm running the thing on E85, so a bit more compression shouldn't hurt.

I'll use a snap gauge to measure the bores, and I'll check out the used pistons also, but are there any other things to watch out for when doing this swap?

The bores will be ball honed, with fresh rings, the head will be reconned at a good shop here in Portland. I have a choice of cams, '88 Turbo roller, '88 TBI roller, and a '86 Slider. Suggestions?

jory
06-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a 84 t-1 motor with a 782 head and it ran great with 13 psi in my old laser. I plan on sticking it in my 89 daytona just as it is with a 1-piece intake and shelby z electronics. I would stick with a roller cam, why not use the TBI one if it is such a good upgrade.

puppet
06-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I think the piston swap is a good move compression wise.
Cam ... the '88 turbo and the '88 tbi roller (2.2) are exactly the same. Skip the slider.

Spraynlog
06-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Heh, I dropped the head off at a shop called PER (Portland Engine Rebuilder) Talked to one of the owners, Ted King about the head. He mentioned he knew of a guy who had a Chrysler turbo in a mini van that was a record holder...."Oh, Terry?" I asked, "Yeah, that's him" he answered.

Guess I took the head to the right place!:nod: