PDA

View Full Version : Think I found my neon speedometer issue

jory
06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Last week I blew the differential in the neon. It was quite the typical failure, the pin came loose and broke through the case when I started the car and tried moving it. I pulled the trans out today and it looks like my speedometer not working was because the plastic gear that is supposed to be attached to the diff came off. Mopar should have left it driving off the axle instead. I'm going to the yard tomorrow to pull a 63k mile trans from a 95 neon that should have never got sent to the junk yard.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/Stuff/FILE0001.jpg

inmyshadow
06-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Save your next tranny, get some diff pin tabs.

What the hell is that big square thing that normally the bobble strut bolts ot the kframe?

later

jory
06-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Save your next tranny, get some diff pin tabs.

What the hell is that big square thing that normally the bobble strut bolts ot the kframe?

later

lol, that is a custom made bobble strut bracket. this car was swapped from an automatic. seems to be holding up after 2.5 years unlike the neon equivalent to the a525. diff pin retainers are a genius idea, i have the part number somewhere.

Aries_Turbo
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Last week I blew the differential in the neon. It was quite the typical failure, the pin came loose and broke through the case when I started the car and tried moving it. I pulled the trans out today and it looks like my speedometer not working was because the plastic gear that is supposed to be attached to the diff came off. Mopar should have left it driving off the axle instead. I'm going to the yard tomorrow to pull a 63k mile trans from a 95 neon that should have never got sent to the junk yard.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/jvory/Stuff/FILE0001.jpg

hmm i wonder if the JY will let you buy the chassis and get the title with it? i need a title and a dash/vin plate from a 95 :)

Brian

jory
06-20-2009, 12:49 AM
I doubt they will sell any car with title. They are an "ecology" yard, they poke holes in every pan and slice the crap out of every gas tank. Apparently the only reason the 95 was junked was because the oil pan was rotted. That was the only thing I could see wrong with it, everything else looked like a 60k mile car.
Anyway, I pulled the trans and finished the job up today while there was a break in the weather. This transmission is perfect, shifts way better than the old one nice and tight. My speedometer works now too! Imagine that.

Big_P
06-24-2009, 03:07 PM
No more one wheel wonders, Jory :P