PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start :(

AzShadow
06-16-2009, 10:02 AM
This is what I posted in the "EFI Tuning" section, as of right now im not sure if my problem is a tuning problem or another electrical problem but her it is...

"Ok so here is the deal..my car is a 90 shadow T1 with an auto, i socketed the SBEC myself to use with the ostrich and of course this didnt work. But then there was hope because Quantum was making the chip converters so kids with SBECs could use an ostrich. Anyways I got one from the first batch and my car still didnt run, the fuel pump wouldn't pressurize and my tach and narrowband gauge would jump all around. I sent the converter back to him and he repaired it and sent it back to me.

Got it today and Popped it in.... my gauges didnt jump around and the fuel pump pressurized, i was so excited, the converter must now be good. Then crank crank crank and wouldn't start. Checked the plugs and they werent really that wet so it wasnt flooded. I then checked the two leads on the coil with the volt meter and got 0V...so somehow im not getting any spark to even the coil.

Also the only cal i could get to even pressurize the fuel pump was the 90_25_T1_atx_577.bin file that i found on this site somewhere. any other cal that i was messing with in chem wouldn't even do that...

Any ideas guys?????"

Thanks

cordes
06-16-2009, 10:22 AM
What chips are you using? Are you orienting the chip properly in the sockets?

AzShadow
06-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm using an ostrich, almost positive its in there right, but i will double check when i get home

AzShadow
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Tried jumping the + coil with the + battery, fuel pump still went on but still didnt start, just cranked. pulled the ASD relay and I seem to be getting a voltage reading from each of the 4 plugs..

cordes
06-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Tried jumping the + coil with the + battery, fuel pump still went on but still didnt start, just cranked. pulled the ASD relay and I seem to be getting a voltage reading from each of the 4 plugs..

Getting voltage at all of the pins doesn't sound right to me.

AzShadow
06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
hmmm...all i did was take unplug the relay and stick the volt meter in the holes of the harness, maybe i should strip back the wires going into the harness and test it with the relay plugged in?

quantum
06-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Make sure the switches on the Ostrich are all set to 28 pin. I believe both switches need to be toward the usb connector.

AzShadow
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
yeah they are both set to 28

quantum
06-18-2009, 06:43 AM
Just a few other thoughts. First I wanted to make sure you are using the top socket not the bottom one, and pin one is in the upper right. Also if your SBEC has more potting compund than normal it may have been hard to put the converter in the socket and a extra socket may be needed as a "spacer" to get it to mate properly (it would be at an angle on the potting compound and the header pins wouldn't go all the way into your Socket on the SBEC one one or both sides). If you believe need a spacer let me know. It will be a few days for me to get one, but I'll send one out to you.

jl93sundance
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
If the check engine light doesn't come on when you turn the key, its not going to run... Not sure how the ostrich works(burning wise) could it be burning at the wrong offset?

AzShadow
06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
yeah im using the top socket and the ribbon goes up when you look at it with the red wire on the right, so im pretty sure i got pin 1 with pin 1 but i will double check, hopefully this weekend. The converter sits flat, not at an angle, so i dont believe i will need a spacer.

sundance, i am getting a check engine light. it flashes (slow not rapid) after i crank it... i lost my manual with the codes in it but i will run the codes this weekend as well....cant believe i didnt do this earlier :rolleyes:

cordes
06-19-2009, 03:27 PM
yeah im using the top socket and the ribbon goes up when you look at it with the red wire on the right, so im pretty sure i got pin 1 with pin 1 but i will double check, hopefully this weekend. The converter sits flat, not at an angle, so i dont believe i will need a spacer.

sundance, i am getting a check engine light. it flashes (slow not rapid) after i crank it... i lost my manual with the codes in it but i will run the codes this weekend as well....cant believe i didnt do this earlier :rolleyes:

Codes would be good. You can find out all about them on http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

AzShadow
06-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Finally got around to playing with the car, I'm getting like 7 different codes. I left the list at home though. the first few are hard to read but the ones i can read according to that website all have the common theme of check wiring. i checked all my fuses again and they all check out. Found most of the fuseable links. Not sure exactly how to test them but I thought i read you give them a tug and see if they pull, none of them did. Is there a good way to test these?

Also i noticed when i turn the car on the fuel pump pressurizes for like a half second and hickups for a fraction of a second before it continues to pressurize for the normal amount of time.....

I'm thinking i want to maybe throw an unmolested SBEC in there and see what it does because i never had any of these problems till i started messing with it. i went to a couple different junkyards but couldnt find any 90/91 T1 auto cars or vans...