PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Glass hood?

8valves
04-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Has anyone purchased any body panels from Hairy Glass? I'm curious how exact the fit is of their products. I need a new hood and want to do a nostalga Mopar lift off style, utilizing their lightweight hood. Anyone have any experince with them?

Not to mention- they have a hatch too. I wonder how well it seals? :evil:

Aaron Miller

altered7151
04-27-2006, 10:27 AM
You might want to call them, I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that their hoods/front ends are stretched 6" for use on a rear wheel conversion car.

mcsvt
04-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeah I know the Daytona front end parts are stretched the 6". But not sure about the other parts.

Edit:
Just checked, it doesn't mention any ext amount for Omni/Charger
http://www.hairyglass.com/omni.html

8valves
04-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Looks as though they're not stretched in that picture, and I hadn't seen a picture of it yet... looks like it would work very nicely! I'm actually very excited about this. Not only will it weigh a lot less but I can hack it up a little for my new intake setup. :)

Aaron Miller

cordes
04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
I bet that hatch would save you a ton of weight Aaron. As most all of us know, the hatch can be a real doozie to get open when the struts are shot and you are holding what you need to put in the back.

mcsvt
04-27-2006, 03:51 PM
^^ So true, my struts are great, but still a pain to open when I have something already in my hands. Maybe when I get a second vehicle and can make the Daytona mainly track oriented I will try out the hatch :)

GLHS592
04-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I took the glass out of my hatch when I painted my car and it amazed me how light it was. I'd say that the glass is about 85% of the weight. I really can't see a fiberglass hatch making that much of a difference. If you really want to lose weitht in the hatch, get some lexan.

cordes
04-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I took the glass out of my hatch when I painted my car and it amazed me how light it was. I'd say that the glass is about 85% of the weight. I really can't see a fiberglass hatch making that much of a difference. If you really want to lose weitht in the hatch, get some lexan.

That is an excellent point. Especially in the Chargers. That is one big piece of glass.

"Top Fuel" Bender
04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
That is an excellent point. Especially in the Chargers. That is one big piece of glass.

Some of the front ends are +6
some are standard
I know Stephan's frontend was/is a Hairyglass unit
You might want to try and contact him

turbomopar87
04-27-2006, 08:30 PM

i have an extra hatch and have been thinking about making lexan window in it for about a year, never did though. Thats a ton of wieght there.bettween that window and the lovers on my shelby Z its gotta be 125lbs+. I like the look of the louvers, so i will proly make a lexan light-weight hatch, and keep the other with louvers for shows and stuff.

8valves
04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Lexan rear glass will be good enough, seeing as how this is still a daily driver and the rear hatch needs to seal properly like a stock piece does- or at least mine does.

The hood on the other hand- that's doable with some dzus fasteners or a 4 point hood pin setup.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Aaron Miller

BadAssPerformance
04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
I talked to the folks at HG a couple years ago. They said that the Daytona hoods were +6" but you could cut them if needed.

csteffee
04-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Lexan is the way to go. The glass on both omnis and Chargers a slight curvature. Pull the glass, lay the lexan over it and clamp the edges with C-clamps or other type then carefully heat the lex with a heat gun until its mallable. Let air cool, trim around the glass and voila! Perfect fit. Did this in my Omni. Works great! On a Charger I'd keep the steel hatch as it lends some structrual rigidity. And always remember to install keepers on Lexan!