PDA

View Full Version : 523 Swap into '85 Shelby Charger

85shelbycharger
04-27-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm planning on doing this swap here within the next two weeks and just had a few quick questions for anyone that has done this swap. I'm going out to buy the axles within the next day or two (2 drivers side axles from an '88 Omni Automatic, and I have the large spline intermediate shaft). I've got the shifter and cables from a Shadow or Sundance.

1. I read somewhere that I may have to do some grinding or something to help it fit? I know I have to grind a notch in the tranny mount so that it bolts up, but besides that, is there any sort of grinding that needs to be done?

2. Will the stock speedometer cable from my Charger work?

3. Has anyone taken the time to weld in the correct bobble strut bracket? Or will running a headbolt and washers through the original mount hold up and work fine?

4. And last, does anyone have any tips or tricks from when they did their swap? Maybe make my life a little easier :p

Thanks!

mw6886
04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Its an easy swap. You have all the good parts already.

1. Grinding - very minimal - just off the bottom of the trans mount. Need to grind to make it fit around the case.

2. Stock speedo cable works, you have to use your old speed sensor, and make sure you use the same wheel gear.

3. I welded in a piece of metal to mount my bobble (read: solid) strut. Basically just a piece of metal with a hole in it welded to the K-frame, and I use the other half of the original mount. You can do the headbolt thing, but I've never had good luck with it. Just bent stuff up.. :(

4. No real tricks. Its a great trans in my opinion. If you are installing from the bottom, the diff is a real pain to get around the k-frame, but a lot of jiggling fixes that. :)

85shelbycharger
04-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Its an easy swap. You have all the good parts already.

1. Grinding - very minimal - just off the bottom of the trans mount. Need to grind to make it fit around the case.

2. Stock speedo cable works, you have to use your old speed sensor, and make sure you use the same wheel gear.

3. I welded in a piece of metal to mount my bobble (read: solid) strut. Basically just a piece of metal with a hole in it welded to the K-frame, and I use the other half of the original mount. You can do the headbolt thing, but I've never had good luck with it. Just bent stuff up.. :(

4. No real tricks. Its a great trans in my opinion. If you are installing from the bottom, the diff is a real pain to get around the k-frame, but a lot of jiggling fixes that. :)

Hmm, I could get out the extra k-frame I have, sandblast and paint it, get the new rack I've been wanting, weld on the new bobble bracket..hmmmm

Dropping the k-frame would sure help in pushing the trans up in from the bottom. I know I had hard enough of a time getting the 525 back in when I changed the clutch when I first got the car.

turbojerk
04-27-2006, 12:04 PM
I can make you a NICE stainless steel bobble strut trans bracket if you'd like, but it would require that you relocate the mount inward a few inches on the K-member....I did this on my GLH and I could get some pic's if you like....

Any particular reason for using the A523 over an A520??

T-did:nod:

85shelbycharger
04-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I can make you a NICE stainless steel bobble strut trans bracket if you'd like, but it would require that you relocate the mount inward a few inches on the K-member....I did this on my GLH and I could get some pic's if you like....

Any particular reason for using the A523 over an A520??

T-did:nod:

Well I know I'd have to weld a new bracket in a different location regardless because the stock mount is not in the right place. But yea sure, if you could whip one together for me that would be awesome! Get some pics too, I'd love to see it.

No particular reason, Troy. I have 4 A523's sittin in the garage and I'm looking to slim down my stock :thumb:

glhs502
04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I have a 523 in my 87 GLHS and I didn't have to grind anything, get the 88-90 Omni axles, they work fine. the hardest part is the shifter cable routing...

briceturbosports
04-27-2006, 04:07 PM
have one in my charger works great stock 88 89 axles fit right in mine too
the 523 shifts much better then a 520

85shelbycharger
04-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I have a 523 in my 87 GLHS and I didn't have to grind anything, get the 88-90 Omni axles, they work fine. the hardest part is the shifter cable routing...

I have a pretty good idea of how I'll be routing the cables..hopefully it doesn't become too much of a hassle.

have one in my charger works great stock 88 89 axles fit right in mine too
the 523 shifts much better then a 520

Sweet! What did you do for your rear mount, Hoagie?

grim
04-27-2006, 06:10 PM
i just used a longer bolt and the stock bracket on the k frame and a peice of pipe inside the bracket so it wouldnt bend . 523 in a glht

billy

shelbydave
05-07-2006, 02:52 PM
OK, Is there a difference with the '83 cars? I have the 523 trans, and axles, but my original trans is an A465. Should I take the hubs out of the donor car also, or will the driveshafts work with my originals?

glhs502
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
I would use the 84-up hubs just because the axle bearing is much larger. Just make sure the outer axles splines are not too long for the 83 bearings. I think there is an issue using the later axles in the earlier cars. If the axles splines are to long the bearings will fail real fast.