PDA

View Full Version : rampage turbo conversion

1984rampage
06-14-2009, 02:14 PM
I need the garage space that the rampage is currently occupying so Im gonna get started on the project. I will be converting an 84 rampage to turbo and will need all the advice I can get as I only have about 2.5 months to do it before college lol...

What exactly will I need to get the car running and moving under its own power?

I will be picking up an engine and body wiring harness as well as a fuel tank from a parted GLH-T to use for the wiring which I assume will work correct?

For those of you that have done the conversion already any tips, links, or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

I will have pics to document along the way

cordes
06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Are you getting all of the GLH specific stuff off of it? That would make life much easier in my eyes. Are you going to convert to a blow through setup? I would.

1984rampage
06-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Are you getting all of the GLH specific stuff off of it? That would make life much easier in my eyes. Are you going to convert to a blow through setup? I would.

I will be getting the wiring harness, fuel tank, and fuel pump/body wiring. I will be converting it to a blow through setup.

cordes
06-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Get every thing you can off that GLH. The springs, brakes, hubs etc. are all much better than what you have on that rampage. Heck my dad's rampage had solid front disks. :yuck:

1984rampage
06-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I would but those things are already gone :/.. Im just looking to get the thing moving right now then Ill take care of everything else

cordes
06-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I would but those things are already gone :/.. Im just looking to get the thing moving right now then Ill take care of everything else

I see. Well, you are off to a good start.

1984rampage
06-14-2009, 04:28 PM
So Ive been reading that there is no difference between the turbo/non-turbo body/dash wiring? Does that mean I only need the engine side wiring harness... How do I wire the fuel pump?

jaysshelby
06-14-2009, 06:33 PM
the fuel pump harness is I think seperate so if you get it, it just plugs in. Its been awhile since I did mine.

1984rampage
06-14-2009, 06:37 PM
K thanks! Do you have to drill any holes in the truck to run any of these wires such as the pump wiring or the lm wiring? Or are they already there?

fuzz's84Daytona
06-15-2009, 08:58 AM
K thanks! Do you have to drill any holes in the truck to run any of these wires such as the pump wiring or the lm wiring? Or are they already there?

I think they are already there, just has a rubber plug in it. Good luck and don't forget the axles also :thumb:

Fuzz

johnl
06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
After you pull the engine, that's when you go for the harness and its through the fire wall rubber grommet. First be sure to get the logic module from the right kick panel. The harness you want has blue and red multi pin plugs that connect to the logic module. The other end of that harness connects to the power module and to the bulkhead connector at the driver's side of the firewall and under the driver's side windshield. The bulkhead connector has a center 10mm bolt. That main harness, and the injector harness, and the throttle body harness, the alternator/starter harness and the run of wire to the fuel tank are what you need as far as wiring goes. The gas tank from the GLHT is necessary too because it has the baffle/fuel pump in it. The GLHT fuel pump has a long hanger that cantilevers over the baffle and into the center of the tank - get it now because the hanger is not available new. Also, get the larger diameter fuel lines from the GLHT.

rare_ram
06-15-2009, 09:48 AM
As someone doing this, the hole is not there. there is a dimple in the firewall though.

jaysshelby
06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
As someone doing this, the hole is not there. there is a dimple in the firewall though.

yep the dimple is there and I think I drilled a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" hole for the rubber gromet

1984rampage
06-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Sweet thanks for the info! Ive got a lead on a shelby charger parts car I can use for everything for the swap! Brakes, wiring, interior, tranny, etc!

rare_ram
06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Sweet thanks for the info! Ive got a lead on a shelby charger parts car I can use for everything for the swap! Brakes, wiring, interior, tranny, etc!

That's the way to go. The big pain I have is swapping from non-AC to AC.