PDA

View Full Version : Vibration at speed maybe tires out of balance

fuforums
04-26-2006, 11:33 PM
I took my 91 Shadow out for a test tonight, first drive in 3 years. Ran good but I have a vibration in my wheels and I can feel it through the steering wheel. Seems like around 55 mph and if I hit the brake it will lessen some but comes back as I drive turning on curves and stuff. Kinda feels like maybe worn tie rods but I'm wondering if letting the tires go flat for 3 years while it was in storage would ruin the balance on them? Almost feels like loose lug nuts like I used to have on my old Dodge Dart but I know they are tight. No clicking or anyting related to bad CV shafts. Boots look good and solid. Steers fine but just odd vibration feels like steering is loose.

Any ideas to start checking?

Joe
91 Shadow ES Turbo Intercooled 2.5

turbovanmanČ
04-27-2006, 12:54 AM
I bet the tires have flat spots. jack up the car and slowly rotate them, I bet you will instantly see why you have a vibration. If not, install some know good tires/rims and see if the problem goes away.

fuforums
04-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I drove a lot more today and I think that it's not the tires because it only does it at certain speeds and if they were flat you could feel them especially at lower speeds. I have come to the conclusion that it's bad struts. The car will bounce up and down a few times if you push on the hood and it's easy to squish it all the way down so I know they are shot. I have found when shifting down from speed the pull of the engine will sometimes make a clanking sound which I think may be the strut mounts sliding or something like that.

Just weird, feels loose around 55 mph. Go faster and it's not bad. Go slower and it's not bad.

Guess I'll get some struts. I'm not insterested in racing so I don't think I need Koni's or even Eibachs, maybe just stick with sensa trac or macphersons.

Opinions on struts?

turbovanmanČ
04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Sensa tracs are fine, Gabriel, KYB gas-a-just.

afsautoworx
04-28-2006, 05:58 AM
id say its tire balance AND struts. U usually feel an out of balance tire shake around 55-60

fuforums
04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah I'm definitely going to get new tires on the front. They'll get balanced at the same time so that won't be a problem. Struts are probably the next thing so we'll see.

cordes
04-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Checking the balance is usually the cheapest way to track down the problem if you can't find an obvious one by giving the tire a shake. As you said, new tires will take care of that possiblitiy for sure.