PDA

View Full Version : Metal in engine oil

turbo84voyager
06-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I changed the oil in my 89 turbo van today and when I was pouring the old oil from my drain pan into a jug I noticed some shiny metal (silver) at the bottom of the pan. It was real sunny and I was able to see the spekles of metal. It looked like metallic in paint. The metal is very tiny pieces and if you rub it between fingers it fells like a paste. The engine has about 6K on it. I have done several oil changes prior to this because since I was tunning it I wanted to make sure there was no gas in the oil. This oil has been in the engine for about 3K. It was full synthetic valvoline I never noticed this before but it was also never sunny so if there was I never noticed it. I cut open the oil filter and I was not able to see any on the filter. The engine sounds fine other than some light piston knock (forged pistons) when the engine is cold. I have had several engines and machine work done by the person who built the engine and have never had any issues. A friend of mine who had an engine (5.0 ford) rebuilt by the same machine shop said he also noticed the same type of metal when he changed his oil. He has a few hundred miles on his engine.

Has anyone ever found any metal particles before?

BadAssPerformance
06-13-2009, 04:54 PM
How much glitter? If its really fine but throughout the oil so it looks more like funny color glitter paint than oil, you'll need bearings. If the oil looks clear with one or two specks of glitter here or there it might just be junk the machine shop didnt clean out? Either way check your oil frequently!

turbovanmanČ
06-13-2009, 06:41 PM
My racebike does that but that's because the gearbox is part of the engine.

I would pull the valve cover and inspect the cam/bearings and rocker arms. If thats clean, I would pull the oil pan, it could be signs of a bearing starting to spin or touching the crank.

turbo84voyager
06-13-2009, 06:41 PM
I didnt notice any in the oil or even checking it in the dipstick. I noticed the metal at the bottom of the drain pan. It looked like flake in paint. It was all silver. There was enough to look like a light coat of metallic paint at the bottom of the drain pan. If it is bearings, wouldn't the metal be copper color, not silver since it has tri-metal bearings?

The strange part is I am not the only one with this issue which would make me believe it was metal from machining, but I would also think it would all be cleaned out by 6K.

thefitisgay
06-13-2009, 06:51 PM
i think its probably break in but im not a professional or anything way i figure is pop the bottom end off and see what it looks like at least you dont have to pull the motor out

i came across this once.... in an old chevy dump truck... it ran pretty great IMO only thing i noticed is if memory serves correctly the oil seemed gassed down

Pat
06-13-2009, 10:18 PM
ARP lube has a tendency to look like that on the bottom of the pan after some miles if you used a lot of it during assembly. It's a bit on the pasty side and has some twinkle in the sun.

Juggy
06-23-2009, 12:39 AM
ARP lube has a tendency to look like that on the bottom of the pan after some miles if you used a lot of it during assembly. It's a bit on the pasty side and has some twinkle in the sun.

very informative post

t3rse
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
If the filter was clean I wouldn't worry.