PDA

View Full Version : Painting Omni - Help !

omniac
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
For all you omni owners out there.....did you remove the rear hatch moulding before painting and did you have any difficulties removing /reinstalling? Mine has some rusted end caps on the inside of the moulding and I'm worried about trying to remove before painting. Plus - once removed - did you have any issues reinstalling it?

Also, the bodyside mouldings (black) - did anyone here paint them black again and if so, how did it turn out / what type of paint did you use. I'm worried it may flake off if I attempted to paint them - but they are quite badly faded already and could use some freshening

guyd_15
06-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Are they caps or rusted acorn nuts?

You can add flex agent for plastic.

Guy

omniac
06-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Are they caps or rusted acorn nuts?

You can add flex agent for plastic.

Guy

I thought that caps were considered acorn nuts? Anyways - they are acorn nuts I believe (original)...

rich tideswell
06-11-2009, 08:45 PM
what about that plastic spray paint from krylon, anyone use that on the mouldings and can offer up an opinion?

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

looks like they have gloss, satin and flat black

Gloss Black

Available in 12 oz. — 2321

Flat Black

Available in 12 oz. — 2519

Satin Black

Available in 12 oz. — 2421

OMNI-Potent
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
On the rear hatch molding you have to remove the acorn nuts. The molding also has double sided tape on it. So you can just heat it up and remove it.

We sell a kit that has the acorn nuts to put this molding back on.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

guyd_15
06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to add my local body shop supplier will mix paints and fill aerosol cans with what you need, they'll even add flex agent if needed.

I'm certain it won't be as cheap as the Krylon or Duplicolor products.

So try some of your local body shop suppliers. Just tell them what your needs are.

Guy

1966 dart wagon
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
before you paint anything use a scuff pad, 3m scotchbrite, you also may want to use some 'scuff paste' works great, Ive never used the plastic paint, but when prepping bumpers we just use the above and it works, unsure about spray cans though, also keep in mind anything you spray paint, typically has to be removed to spray any 2k paint(stuff with a hardener) or else it will lift....bad!

good luck

Turbodave
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
As far as the acorn nuts go, no big deal removing them, but I've found that if it's a rustbelt car the studs sometimes break off in the process. I've known a few people that have put the trim back on with just adhesive and had no problems. May have to use a few clamps to hold it for a day or so if you do so.

As far as painting the trim. I haven't installed them on my GLH yet, but I did paint a few pieces with SEM Trim-black paint and it worked well. Just scuff them up with a scotchbrite pad, clean them really well and spray it on. Had really good results with this product on trim, bumpers and what-not and have seen it hold up now for nearly 10years on the mirrors of my Shadow.

Dupli-color also makes a trim-black paint that works decent, not on par with the SEM stuff, but it's a lot easier to find.

GLHS069
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Use "Mar-Hyde" Bumper Black to paint the mouldings. It works great and I've done it to both of my cars.

omniac
06-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the tips.

I really want to remove all the mouldings I can before painting, but the rear hatch moulding has me a bit worried given how it is secured on the hatch. If others have removed and installed theirs with no problems I guess I'll have to give it a try - hopefully none of the studs break off.

I have use some Pro Form PF15 on my grille with great success

http://www.proformproducts.com/en/products/detail/?id=37

I guess I'll give this same stuff a try on my mouldings too

omniac
06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
On the rear hatch molding you have to remove the acorn nuts. The molding also has double sided tape on it. So you can just heat it up and remove it.

We sell a kit that has the acorn nuts to put this molding back on.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

How much for this kit shipped to Riverview, NB, Canada, E1B5G9 ??

Repaint & Restoration Kit

SKU 3001

$44.00

OMNI-Potent
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
PM sent.

Thanks!

glhturbo1985
06-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Uh.... those studs in the molding might rip out if you remove it. We installed a new molding on mine. It's very easy to install it wavily. Be careful on putting it back on.
Those acorns are a PITA, depending on how picky you are. I searched all over the place for them and finally... OMNIPOTENT pulled through. +1 to them.

IF YOU'RE REUSING IT.... USE A HEAT GUN AND PLASTIC SCRAPER TO PERSUADE THE 2XSIDE TAPE OFF THE HATCH! :nod:

omniac
06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, I managed to get the acorn nuts off each of the studs with no difficulty at all (preserved all but 1 of them) - so now I'm debating if I should risk taking the moulding off or leaving it on the car. I know there is relatively little or no exposed paint in that area so I figure it will not affect the overall paint job at all - but I will have to paint the moulding as it is quite weather faded - I 'm just not sure if I can do a good job painting it on the car or if I should risk taking it off only to risk re-installing it wavily or crooked (as the previous poster mentioned).

Decisions.......decisions !!

1966 dart wagon
06-14-2009, 11:54 AM
:needpics1: it says it all :eyebrows:

omniac
06-14-2009, 01:21 PM
:needpics1: it says it all :eyebrows:

I'm new to this site....how do I upload photos into my gallery to be able to post some pics ?

glhturbo1985
06-14-2009, 11:07 PM
click on go advanced.... scroll down near the bottom and then MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. just browse and add. upload can be slow... but you'll get them up on here.

omniac
06-15-2009, 08:21 AM
click on go advanced.... scroll down near the bottom and then MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. just browse and add. upload can be slow... but you'll get them up on here.

Sorry to sound like a newb....but where is the "go advanced" link or button ??

glhturbo1985
06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
on this same page. on the bottom of the quick reply window.

then manage attachments is under the Additional options window.

Don't worry about being a newb. I was there a couple years ago. It took me a while to get accustomed to this forum.

omniac
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
on this same page. on the bottom of the quick reply window.

then manage attachments is under the Additional options window.

Don't worry about being a newb. I was there a couple years ago. It took me a while to get accustomed to this forum.

Thanks.....I'll look into it later on

BTW.....I have your car as my desktop picture on my work computer.....inspiring me to have mine look the same some day.