PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cam seal MAJOR problem

turbomopar87
04-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Well i finally go tmy 3" side exit done and i put it on today. I haven't ran the car since the fall, so i HAD to take it out and really hear the new exhaust. (look in the fabrication thread for "check out my 3" side exit" to see the new exhaust i built.)

So i took the car for a spin and got gas, and on my way home i got on it good, i mean real good. All 25+psi and brought it up to about 6000rpm.

Well after i let it settle i put in in nuetral as i rolled toward my street, and the car is idlesing at 3000. I look behind and there is white smoke out the ---!

I get to my house and pop the hood and S**T i get sprayed with oil! The Cam seal cap on the tranny side popped right out and landed on the tranny, and since the engine was idleing up at 3000 oil was being flug everywere! All over my engine bay which i JUST F*****G detailed! I shut it of right away and found the vac hose that goes onto the intake mani from PCV blow off (expails the idleing high) AND my wategate seloniod hose came off.

What i really wanna know is what caused the cam seal to pop out like that? Its the second time it happened since the motor build (under 2500 miles) Can i put some RTV on it to keep it from coming out? THis seal is brand new, since i bought a new one after i blew it out the first time.

Also, i wanna make sure i have the wastegate seloniod hose in the right spot, does anyone have that digram showing them( on an 87 shelbyZ TII). i know its under my hood, but that is now COVERED in oil!:mad:

tryingbe
04-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Not RTV, use anaerobic sealer.

Any blowby?

turbomopar87
04-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Not RTV, use anaerobic sealer.

Any blowby?

anaerobic sealer? Sorry, never heard of it...

i think i do have blowby...my dip-stick pops up all the time. I need to make a catch can setup soon.

slasky
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
3m weatherstrip adheasive, the yellow stuff, works best. How do you have your PCV setup?

turbomopar87
04-26-2006, 06:58 PM
3m weatherstrip adheasive, the yellow stuff, works best. How do you have your PCV setup?
thanks

my PCV system in the stock hose from the VC to the PCV valve, then a hose goes the the front of the intake mani, and a hose to the TB. Then the metal hose that used to go to the Air Box( have a cone filter now) is just pointing down behind the tranny. Pretty much the stock set up, just no airbox

inmyshadow
04-27-2006, 03:52 AM
When you run high boost levels, it raises crank case pressure. If your PCV system failed, as you said. The crank case pressure has to escape somewhere.

Whenever I spend alot of time running 20lbs of boost, oil gets pushed past my oil cap. I'd change the cap, but Chrysler can't say whether a oil cap will be black or yellow.

zshadow
04-27-2006, 06:20 AM
make sure you check that no oil got into the tranny where the timing light flywheel slot is. i blew off my seal last weekend and ive gotta replace the clutch disc come friday... :(

turbomopar87
04-27-2006, 06:25 AM
When you run high boost levels, it raises crank case pressure. If your PCV system failed, as you said. The crank case pressure has to escape somewhere.

Whenever I spend alot of time running 20lbs of boost, oil gets pushed past my oil cap. I'd change the cap, but Chrysler can't say whether a oil cap will be black or yellow.

so it prolly due to blow-by? thats good to know. i am gonna do the catch can exactly the same as its shown in the diagram in this thread... http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3784&highlight=catch

turbomopar87
04-27-2006, 06:27 AM
make sure you check that no oil got into the tranny where the timing light flywheel slot is. i blew off my seal last weekend and ive gotta replace the clutch disc come friday... :(

that would suck...i gotta check that. More of the oil was being slung around b/c the cam was spinning at 3000RPM since a couple vac hoses blew off. I gotta go get a couple more zip ties.

Well, later today looks like i am going to take off the intake and IC pipes to get this engine bay cleaned up again:mad: Then go buy some more oil.

Dave
04-27-2006, 08:26 AM
anaerobic sealer? Sorry, never heard of it...

i think i do have blowby...my dip-stick pops up all the time. I need to make a catch can setup soon.

Go to NAPA. They had it for me in ONLY a big a$$ tube that cost over $15. You use it though, so don't worry about wasting your money. I had to use it for a rear main seal job, but you'll also use it for what you need it for and cam caps, main caps, etc.

Turbodave
04-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I've had good luck using Indian Head gasket shellac on the cam seals, that stuff holds anything in place.

turbomopar87
04-27-2006, 06:45 PM
3m weatherstrip adheasive, the yellow stuff, works best.

i got some of this stuff...before i use it are you sure its ok? It will hold with the heat and all?

csteffee
04-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Are you using a "G" head? the rear cam seals on those are slightly larger (1 to 2mm if I remember right) than the front (swirl heads are both the exact same size). I had an 86 Turismo 2.2 with the N/A H/O with a "G". Rebuilt the motor and I kept blowing out the rear seal. Guy at the MoPar parts counter set me straight. Never had a problem afterward.

87glhs232
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Go to NAPA. They had it for me in ONLY a big a$$ tube that cost over $15. You use it though, so don't worry about wasting your money. I had to use it for a rear main seal job, but you'll also use it for what you need it for and cam caps, main caps, etc.

Funny...my Napa only had it in tiny tubes for $5. Had to buy several.

WVRampage
04-28-2006, 12:28 AM
I've had good luck using Indian Head gasket shellac on the cam seals, that stuff holds anything in place.
Thats the stuff I use and it also holds up to gas.

turbomopar87
04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Are you using a "G" head? the rear cam seals on those are slightly larger (1 to 2mm if I remember right) than the front (swirl heads are both the exact same size). I had an 86 Turismo 2.2 with the N/A H/O with a "G". Rebuilt the motor and I kept blowing out the rear seal. Guy at the MoPar parts counter set me straight. Never had a problem afterward.

using the 782 head