PDA

View Full Version : starter relay/key switch wtf!!!!

TurboII
06-11-2009, 12:53 AM
my 88 lebaron will not start if i have the relay hooked up. if i jump the pins it works fine. so i change the starter relay and still noting. so i thought it was the starter switch so i replaced that and noting still ...wtf. ever pin is getting power. but when on position their no signal going to the start solnoid. do i have a bad wire or a bad key and tubbler

joey

t3rse
06-11-2009, 02:28 AM
make sure the diode on that grounds to the trans is good...if not it will blow a fuse or melt a wire

supercrackerbox
06-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Chased a similar issue on my Daytona a couple years back. First, make sure the ignition switch is adjusted properly, and then see if the push rod is engaging the switch completely to the 'Start' position.

In my case, the rod had become slightly bent and was not engaging fully.

Then a couple weeks later the pot metal lever that pushes the rod broke, and I had to replace the column.

Good luck!

TurboII
06-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Chased a similar issue on my Daytona a couple years back. First, make sure the ignition switch is adjusted properly, and then see if the push rod is engaging the switch completely to the 'Start' position.

In my case, the rod had become slightly bent and was not engaging fully.

Then a couple weeks later the pot metal lever that pushes the rod broke, and I had to replace the column.

Good luck!

i did that when replacing the switch. what i did was put the key in "on" mode and with a piler i pulling on it in the correct direction and nothing happened. what i did do was put a meter in it and found that i got no power to the wire when fully on to the starter noid.

Joey

supercrackerbox
06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
In that case it might be the ignition switch itself.

JDAWG
06-12-2009, 12:04 AM
my dads 92 dakota, wouldnt do anything, turn the key forward nothing. Did a bunch of checking. Traced some wires. Tried a new ignition switch. I couldnt find anything wrong. I ended up finding the trigger wire to the starter solenoid, ran it to a horn button switch, back out to the batt 12v. Turn the key forward, hit the button, fires up every time. I really think it was prob with the pcm, I spent 3 days trackingm tracing, checking wires. Continuiuty, resistence, all that, gave up and did it the red neck way. Has been workin fine for 3 years now.

butchsuppe
06-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Check the neutral safety switch.

JDAWG
06-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Check the neutral safety switch.

I checked mine in my pops truck, tried a new one too, hell they are $10, but good thinkin, forgot that

TurboII
06-12-2009, 01:11 AM
my car is a 5spd

TurboII
06-12-2009, 01:12 AM
if it is my key switch then way is it working when i jump the pins?