PDA

View Full Version : More Shelby Problems. HELP!

89ShelbyGuy
04-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey guys...well after the shelby has been running for a couple of month i knew a problem would arise and it did...here it is.

When i would go wot, the boost took long to spool up..and at a shift i am getting a WISHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Like the sound when you let the air out of your air compressor...well..i checked all my intercooler hoses as i am running a dual intercooler set up..re did all the pipes..and was ready to go...well, damnit...its doing the same thing...its like theres a leak somewhere...well, this time i elimated my BOV thinking that wasn't holding the pressure....well, that wasn't the problem either...so, check my turbo for shaft play, and i get nothing...i checked all my vacuum lines and all of them are connected and don't have any holes...plus ther all brand new...my vacuum is around 17 at idle....the car boost..but i am to scared to really get up there as i do the wishing noise gets louder....it sounds like i have a BOV, but i don't...i am not getting any engine codes at all..

Does anyone have an awnser...tip??

Thanks!

Tom

altered7151
04-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Sounds like compressor surge. Although I'm a little confused, you say you dont have a BOV, but said earlier you elimintated it. So does that mean you were getting the sound with AND without a bov? Maybe your bov wasn't working properly to begin with and causing the compressor surge before.

89ShelbyGuy
04-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Yea..it was doing it with and without it on.....i did have the BOV connected to the Big out let on the TB...and now i was told that was wrong and to put it on the small one as the big one only has the vacuum on part throttle...

It don't make sense...the BOV was working fine before for a couple of months.......i was thinking compressor surge too...but, its preatty loud when on the boost....

89ShelbyGuy
04-26-2006, 10:59 PM
anyone?

fuforums
04-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Hard to tell really. You have to find out if it's air coming out or being sucked in. Mine makes a whoosh sound but boost comes on quick with my mitsu turbo. Is this a sudden change or a gradual thing?

When you hit the gas you get boost out of the turbo and into your IC pipes, through your IC's, through the return pipe and into the intake. Does the whoosh sound happen as you build boost or after you let off? Maybe a cracked IC housing or a hose clamp that you checked but didn't double check?

I have a little filter on my BOV for vacuum during driving. Do you have something similar? Did your filter paper tear somehow? What about your regular filter? Is it paper? if it's torn it could cause that sound. Do you have a cone filter? Has it come apart? My old one that sat up basically came unglued so I had to trash it.

Could it be leaf or something silly like that stuck somewhere?

This is all I can think of right now.

89ShelbyGuy
04-27-2006, 09:27 PM
. Does the whoosh sound happen as you build boost or after you let off?

When i let off the gas when i am boosting..and when shifting.

I have no filter on the BOV

And its a sudden thing...was fine a dandy one minute then started doing this..with the sound...

I've noticed i am lacking power also.

Tom

BadAssPerformance
04-27-2006, 09:33 PM
I've noticed i am lacking power also.

I know you said you checked all the intercooler plumbing, but it really sounds like that might be it. Twin intercoolers? Did you buy the car that way, is it red? ;)

89ShelbyGuy
04-27-2006, 09:48 PM
i am gonna build a leak tester and find out...

And yes..its dual. and yes red. :)
Hopefully i get it fixed before the 13th....;)

Tom

BadAssPerformance
04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Cool.

Thought that car sounded familiar :thumb:

Hope you get it fixed and can make it out to Dave's!

tryingbe
04-28-2006, 07:51 AM
BOV isn't work correctly, that's all.

89ShelbyGuy
04-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Well..there was 2 problems i solved..
1st. The BOV was hooked up wrong. Hooked it up right.

2nd. On my dual intercooler setup, the rubber T hose i was using develped a inch long split to where i couldn't see it.. Fix that with a new one.

Now, the BOV sounds...and i hate it...The car boost like it did before..it runs good.

Anyone have a spare BOV..i got the cheapy from ebay...get what yea pay for i guess..

Thanks for the help guys!

Tom

BadAssPerformance
04-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Glad to hear you got it running well again Tom! :thumb: Yep those pesky out of sight tears in hoses are a bugger to find sometimes.

fuforums
04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Why do you hate the BOV sound? I love how mine sounds.

89ShelbyGuy
04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I geuss i will have to get use to it...oh well...it doesn't sound as good as it did before when it wasn't working properly...lol..oh well..

Tom

fuforums
04-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah before I converted to intercooled I had the original airbox and BOV that was factory. One time the airbox clip wasn't fastened all the way and left a crack between the seam of it so when I would drive the BOV was LOUD and it sounded so awesome. Each shift was a whistle of power just like those loud ones you hear on NA hondas or whatever those boys are driving. It was cool but when I put it back together right the sound was much quieter. Oh well.