PDA

View Full Version : How do I take apart the outer CV joint of an axle?

TurbododgePirate
04-26-2006, 02:44 PM
I just need the axle stubs to stick in a pair of front spindles so I can move the car without fear of bearing separation. I have a set of junk axles. I just can't seem to get the thing off. I hit it pretty hard with a hammer... no luck. ~~H

turbovanmanČ
04-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Keep hitting it, it will eventually come off.

GLHSKEN
04-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I'd like to know the correct way as well. I knocked the CRAP outta one with a 3 lb sledge and no dice.

turbovanmanČ
04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I'd like to know the correct way as well. I knocked the CRAP outta one with a 3 lb sledge and no dice.

If beating it wont' remove it, nothing will. The circlip over extends past the joint end and even using a press wont' remove it.

looneytuner
04-26-2006, 07:03 PM
It's all in the technique. That's why mechanics used to charge $90 to fix a carb with a hammer. A quick fast blow will do it. Honestly. I just used a claw hammer yesterday. I think a 3 pounder is too heavy.

TurbododgePirate
04-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Maybe I'll just sawzall off the stub before the joint. Dammit.

altered7151
04-27-2006, 09:27 AM
On the axles I had, which I believe were from a g-body but it shouldn't matter, there was a wire snap ring kinda thing holding the universal joint in. I pulled the boot off, popped that wire retainer out, and the stub pretty much fell off with a light smack from a ball peen hammer.

Kulgii
04-27-2006, 09:33 AM
On the axles I had, which I believe were from a g-body but it shouldn't matter, there was a wire snap ring kinda thing holding the universal joint in. I pulled the boot off, popped that wire retainer out, and the stub pretty much fell off with a light smack from a ball peen hammer.

Some had the wire retainer and some had the circle clip on the opposite side.

When hammering make sure you are hitting the inner race not the outside housing. I did mine this past weekend and it came off in 3 sharp hits.

mock_glh
04-27-2006, 11:36 AM
The axles I use have an internal snap ring on the outer CV. If you wipe away the grease (yuck!) you'll see a slot where you can access it. Spread it open and the joint will come off.:cool:

TurbododgePirate
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
AH, I'll have to look for that this weekend.