PDA

View Full Version : Welding Tank Strap Stud...Carpet fire inside?

89ShelbyGuy
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Hey guys, tonight i am going to be welding a stud inplace of the sheared off stud i did yesterday, i was woundering if i have to worry about anything getting set on fire inside the car when welding the stud up? i know there a black plate that cover it...shouldn't have to worry right? (i really don't feel like removing the interior crap)

Thanks

Tom

looneytuner
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Uhm,,,, my mechanic lost his garage with 6 customer's cars inside at the time working on a gas tank.

89ShelbyGuy
06-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Theres no gas tank in there, nor gas lines neer it.??

t3rse
06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
make sure the tank is vented, but regardless, every time I weld something I get the carpet on fire, so go slow and have someone watching with an extinguisher in hand

blk86trbo
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
If you can tell exactly where you are welding from the topside, try wetting a small spot of the carpeting with water...

contraption22
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Is it that hard to pull up the carpet?

LynX853
06-09-2009, 12:53 PM
the factory sound deadening behind the dash has a fire retardant mat thing attached to it.. But I can't remember if the sound deadening under the carpet does. either way just drench it with water and it really should be fine.

89ShelbyGuy
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I geuss it isn't THAT hard to pull the carpet....the car is jacked up several feet off the ground...need a latter to get inside now...lol

Thanks for the tips guys. Welding the plate to the sheet metal shouldn't be that hot...

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
You will melt and carpet (the fuzz is not to good with heat) within at least a foot of where you're welding. I used a sheet metal sheild to cover the carpeted wheel well covers in the back of the Z and still ended up melting some fuzz behind it :(

jamesmonty
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Its not worth the risk! Doe one thing the potential of setting your interior on fire is bad, second the burnt carpet smell is hard to get rid of. If you go real slow and wet the carpet you might be safe. If it was me I would remove the carpet to be extra safe.

mario03SRT
06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Both of mine broke off and I just drilled 2 holes and got some hardware from the store and re-did it.

DON'T kill yourself or destroy your car. We hear these stories all the time about welders blowing up themselves.

shelbydave
06-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I geuss it isn't THAT hard to pull the carpet....the car is jacked up several feet off the ground...need a latter to get inside now...lol

Thanks for the tips guys. Welding the plate to the sheet metal shouldn't be that hot...

Which would be harder? taking your time to pull the carpet back, or rushing around trying to extinguish a fire in a car that's several feet off the ground?

bgbmxer
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Uhm,,,, my mechanic lost his garage with 6 customer's cars inside at the time working on a gas tank.

then he shouldnt be welding cause it should have been purged with argon and there would be no fire involved

PTT
06-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Pull the rear seat cushion up and look how far back the carpet goes. It may not go back that far. Im not sure how far that carpet goes in that particular vehicle.:confused2: BE SAFE.....NOT SORRY!

89ShelbyGuy
06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
well, i finished it all up. Used a hole saw and cut a hole where the old bolt use to be, then took a very heavy washer, and welded a bolt to it, then welded the washer to the area around that old bolt.. No fires, i pulled the carpet back and kinda watered the area...thank god that job is done..it was a PITA to do that under there.

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Cool deal :thumb:

pics?

1966 dart wagon
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
when a broke both of mine...god what a pain in the ---, anyways i had to remove the black panel under the rear seat and drill/wholesaw my floor to even get to the studs, man that was a pain. pics?

89ShelbyGuy
06-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Ya i can get pics...i am not impressed with my welding under there, but when you are getting pissed off like i was under there i geuss it will get that way...lol...

Hey JT, think i should make a write up on how to install a walbro 255 fuel pump...? or is there one alright...i have everything apart..easy enough to take pics now.

Tom

Turbodave
06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey JT, think i should make a write up on how to install a walbro 255 fuel pump...? or is there one alright...i have everything apart..easy enough to take pics now.

Tom

Step 1: The pump can be removed without dropping the tank and snapping off the studs on the fuel tank strap. :D

89ShelbyGuy
06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Step 1: The pump can be removed without dropping the tank and snapping off the studs on the fuel tank strap. :D

Funny guy there...

I was refering to the pump replacement as the fitmet isn't drop in. Had to do some modifying...i know i searched about it and found people talking about...didn't know what the hell they were talking about...now i do..

And BTW...i only snapped one stud off! :p