PDA

View Full Version : Joined the tube header club

spoolinhard
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Made this a few months ago. I just finished up the dump tube and downpipe yesterday. I need to ceramic coat them and then wrap them and they are finished. I will post better pics later on.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Spoolinhard/0607091327.jpg

spoolinhard
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
One more, thanks to Ray 86shelby for this one. Best part is, is that it all fits in the engine bay of an L body.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/86Shelby/LinOmaBluffs/100_1831.jpg

t3rse
06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Make sure you make a brace for the turbo as that thin walled tubing will crack after some thermal cycles with all that weight hanging off.

spoolinhard
06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Yup, that is also i the plans.

Aries_Turbo
06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
mild steel or stainless?

if mild steel, i would suggest coating it like JT did with his mild steel one. looks decent. :)

Brian

BadAssPerformance
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I used thin wall mild... JetHot 2000°F coating is badass stuff :thumb:

Hows that fit with the firewall?

8valves
06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm curious as well, nice work though doing something on your own!

spoolinhard
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I used thin wall mild... JetHot 2000°F coating is badass stuff :thumb:

Hows that fit with the firewall?

Haha, its all fits. I mocked it up in one of my junk bodies. I have inches, and in some areas fractions of that. I ----ed the turbo at kind of an angle and that pretty much allowed me to pull it all off. It clears the firewall and K-frame. It is not stainless. It is mild steel. Not sure on widths. The head flange is as thick as the ones from turbos unleashed (I had mine water jetted) I read that the ones from cindy were too thin and prone to warping.

Hopefully next weekend I can get it ceramic coated. I would like to get some better pics then. None of these are very flattering to my craftmenship and welding(mig mind you).

I am a bodyman so I am used to working with metal, but this freakin blew. I have probably upwards of 30 hours in it. WHen I first started All I had to cut with was a die grinder and a bench mounted drinding wheel. THat took FOREVER. I borrow a band saw and that shaved off a few hours:p Never again will I make one of these.

BadAssPerformance
06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah, they are hard to make .. been there

Looks like you went the lower route so it fits more in the trans tunnel... good think you made a new outlet, I'd guess the stocker might be into the steering rack?

Pat
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Good job...they certainly don't look easy to make!

Any concern with the wg pulling off of only #1?

spoolinhard
06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, they are hard to make .. been there

Looks like you went the lower route so it fits more in the trans tunnel... good think you made a new outlet, I'd guess the stocker might be into the steering rack?

I would guess so. I never had a stock turbo setup in mind. I pretty much built the header so I could use the turbo. I was going to make another TBI header but the inlet to the turbo was bigger than what the TBI had to offer. The downpiped runs right in through the trans tunnel. The angle of the turbo helped with this. I used a stack breaker to connect it to the rest of the exhuast. It has a pretty simple V band clamp. Good for quick disconnects at the track. Although I dont think that I will need to with the 3" exhuast.

Good job...they certainly don't look easy to make!

Any concern with the wg pulling off of only #1?

no other choice. This was due to clearancing. I wasnt happy about it but I wasnt going to scrap the project over it. I couldnt extend the header out enough to make a collector,(where it should have been). The hole in the runner is a little bigger than half the size of the tube leading up to the wastegate. I figured that would be a nice comprimise as far as not robbing too much flow from #1. I also figured that would still get adequate flow to the WG beings that it is at the correct "V" angle to the runner(for best flow), unlike alot that I have seen. I have seen other people run them off of one runner(mostly on log mani's) SO I decided to do the same. No real other options. I wasnt going to modify my firewall for it.

JDAWG
06-08-2009, 11:34 PM
I cant afford this, I spent it all on strippers and alky, sorry

2.216VTurbo
06-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Boy, I hope this thread turns into a 36+ page argument:rolleyes: Nice work:clap: Tube headers sound awesome out the exhaust:eyebrows:

Pat
06-09-2009, 06:20 AM
I would guess so. I never had a stock turbo setup in mind. I pretty much built the header so I could use the turbo. I was going to make another TBI header but the inlet to the turbo was bigger than what the TBI had to offer. The downpiped runs right in through the trans tunnel. The angle of the turbo helped with this. I used a stack breaker to connect it to the rest of the exhuast. It has a pretty simple V band clamp. Good for quick disconnects at the track. Although I dont think that I will need to with the 3" exhuast.

no other choice. This was due to clearancing. I wasnt happy about it but I wasnt going to scrap the project over it. I couldnt extend the header out enough to make a collector,(where it should have been). The hole in the runner is a little bigger than half the size of the tube leading up to the wastegate. I figured that would be a nice comprimise as far as not robbing too much flow from #1. I also figured that would still get adequate flow to the WG beings that it is at the correct "V" angle to the runner(for best flow), unlike alot that I have seen. I have seen other people run them off of one runner(mostly on log mani's) SO I decided to do the same. No real other options. I wasnt going to modify my firewall for it.

I just read the part that this fits in an L body....I can see how space was an issue! Nice work.

1966 dart wagon
06-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Nice job kaleb, man that looks like a pain to make, i cant even imagine :clap:

spoolinhard
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I cant afford this, I spent it all on strippers and alky, sorry

Paint strippers and alcahol injection?

Boy, I hope this thread turns into a 36+ page argument:rolleyes: Nice work:clap: Tube headers sound awesome out the exhaust:eyebrows:

I cant wait to hear what this sounds like...and this is an argument free zone:p

Nice job kaleb, man that looks like a pain to make, i cant even imagine :clap:

Thanks.

This thing caused me alot of metal slivers that I had to dig out of my hands, and one trip to the hospital. Had a steel shaving embedded in my eye.

2.216VTurbo
06-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Ha, there is an eye 'clinic' near here where I am a regular;) if you let that sliver sit overnight, they have to not only pull it, but then they have to grind the rust out of your Cornea or it will always be in your field of view:(

t3rse
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
^ been there...sucked badly...piece was in my hair and when I showered it got stuck in my eye

rx2mazda
06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Good job, I love fabricating!!!

fishcleaner
06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Never again will I make one of these.
hahah, I've heard that before, I said the same thing making mine