PDA

View Full Version : EERRRRR...willem device not empty error

trannybuster
06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Alright I cant get the chip erased. It says chip erase okay but do a blank test and I get 'device is not empty $000000' error. Its willem dual power programmer. I bought a external power supply thinking it would help but the pita wont work. Ive tried many differnt chips doesnt matter. The chips IM using are sst27. ANy help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

ShelGame
06-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Did you install the 'erase' jumper for the 27SF512's?

BIGBRUDDA
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
You commin to SDAC Rob?

trannybuster
06-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Yup I move the jumper then do a erase, and it says it erased successfully but then I do a blank check and get the device not empty....

ShelGame
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Do you pull the erase jumper when you do the blank check?

ShelGame
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
You commin to SDAC Rob?

Nope. No money, no time, baby on the way, etc...

trannybuster
06-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Yup, I tried every combo. I tried different chips ((same type and new))..

csxtra
06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
When you put the chips in, is the lever up and then you put the lever down to lock it in?

You can do it the other way (start with the lever down, and lock the chip in by putting the lever up), and the chips can be read, but not erased/written to.

I burn chips so infrequently that I always forget which way to move the lever (I know - PEBCAK: Problem exists between chair and keyboard).

But now that I wrote "lever down=OK" on the ZIF socket with a sharpie and always lock the chip in with the lever down, I haven't had any problems erasing/burning.

trannybuster
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
No I got it right. Im wondering if I dont have a bad programmer. It works intermittently. What is the best type of eeprom prgrammer, Willem or...???

What about this http://www.sivava.com/buynow.php?pd=A051

cordes
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I have that problem on occasion. I don't know what causes it, but it seems to happen more frequently with certain chips. There are some chips which I will need to erase 5-8 times before they will come up actually blank. I'm patient though so it doesn't bother me too much.

trannybuster
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Well I cant program one either I always get an error, Ive only managed to program 1 chip and didnt offest, I was just trying to make it work. I can erase a chip fine 2 times then the programmer goes stupid and says erase false...after it just did a successful erase. What gives?

risen
06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't actually use my Willem for the 27sf512's. I use my moates burner since I don't have to deal with the jumper games and rediculousness. It's never let me down.

Also, as a added item to check physically, you're sure you have the chip oriented correctly? So that the little U on the small edge of the chip is twards the lever and the other small edge of the chip is at the very bottom of the socket? There should be 2 (I think) open slots in the socket above the little U on the chip on either side.

trannybuster
06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
What model do you have, the moates??

risen
06-12-2009, 02:25 PM
burn1, which isn't offered anymore. The burn2 should work just as well, the software seems to be the same, and it has some nice features, like automatic offset calculation based upon bin size and chip size.

trannybuster
06-17-2009, 12:19 AM
^^
Yup moates is sweet, WAY better than that Willem which Id never even think of telling anyone about. The willem never worked right, very buggy, but I erased with the moates and programmed NO issues.
Drivers a little tricky but not rocket science...thanks for steering me to moates.

boost geek
06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Just ordered a Moates Burn 2 today. :)

trannybuster
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
^^You will be glad you have, Ive already ran like 8 of my own cal's and not one hiccup from the moates!!

Aries_Turbo
06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
i have problems with my willem when i dont have my laptop parallel port set to EPP mode. its a compaq EVO.

other than that, i never have problems with it.

when its in the wrong mode, the red light wont light and it wont erase. the "$000000" address means that it didnt even erase the first memory location.

Brian

risen
06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
My willem never really liked the 27sf's, I'd get a sporadic erase/blank check failure. Anything other type of chip was fine. And if the 27sf's weren't cheap and plentiful 2 years ago, I probably would have stuck with the willem, but it was killing me to watch 2$ chips drive my burner nuts. I also didn't enjoy chasing jumpers around on tar after I'd drop them. I just wish the moates did a greater variety of chips.

trannybuster
06-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Then there is the obvious, the Willen has all its circuitry exposed where as the Burn2 is much smaller and completely encased. Is all need to deal with are the 27s512 so.....