PDA

View Full Version : Open Cut Outs

Murphy
12-26-2005, 03:24 AM
when i turbo my car i plan to have a 3"DP meet up with a cutout that will then match up with my current exhaust. I was wondering what type of cutouts people were using and how they like the. Links would be great!

Thank You

GLHSKEN
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
I use the race ready 3" sold by jegs... 3 wingnuts.. works great.

3Bar_Mopar
12-26-2005, 03:06 PM
when i turbo my car i plan to have a 3"DP meet up with a cutout that will then match up with my current exhaust. I was wondering what type of cutouts people were using and how they like the. Links would be great!

Thank You

How about electric cut out? Open you exhaust from the comfort of the drivers seat!

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=115+400042+308992&autoview=sku

Murphy
12-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah im looking for more of an electric cutout that i can controll from the drivers seat. i plan to use it more on the street and just flip the switch when i feel the need hehe

afsautoworx
12-26-2005, 06:03 PM
They have cutouts that have a cable that u can mount inside the car. Just pull the cable and the cutout will open up. Probably cheaper and less complex than an electronic cutout.

Tony Hanna
12-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Only problem I've heard with the cable type cutouts is the tendancy to leak when closed. I haven't heard anything about this with the electric ones though. Personally, I'm thinking about going with one of the cap style cutouts like Ken mentioned just because exhaust leaks drive me nuts and it would lessen the chance of attracting the attention of cops if I got a wild hair.
I'd have to pull over and remove the cap which would give the urge to do something stupid a chance to dissipate.:thumb:

Dave
12-26-2005, 08:18 PM
For $350 that deserves a good slapping. Some folks here did a group buy of electronic cut outs and got the price knocked down to $95 or $100 for one each.

Can't remember the name of the company but they seemed to have some good feedback.

I just have a manual cut out and it works great, I dont mind crawling under the car, and actually I can do it all in under 20 seconds... of course I'm young, so there's my advantage. :thumb:

Murphy
12-27-2005, 12:12 AM
i was thinking about a manual one too but im kinda leaning toward an electric one

i wonder if i could get a group buy thing started that would be sweet getting one for $100

tryingbe
12-27-2005, 12:34 AM
My cut-out. Sorry for the burrieness.

http://www.hardcars.com/headerman/dodge/exhaust.jpg

Murphy
12-27-2005, 08:17 PM
My cut-out. Sorry for the burrieness.

http://www.hardcars.com/headerman/dodge/exhaust.jpg

cool what kinds is that? electric right?

Bossman429
12-27-2005, 09:44 PM
ATP Turbo makes a "VES" Cutout that has a wastegate can that activates the cutout under boost (or wherever you feel like with a G-valve).
I think they are sweet and will probably buy one some day:
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-010&Category_Code=BCS

bfarroo
12-27-2005, 10:31 PM
http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

tryingbe
12-28-2005, 01:09 AM
cool what kinds is that? electric right?

Yes, electric.

The previous owner put it on, I don't have any other info other than it works and it works great.

Keito
12-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I have one of these for sale.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4ddddbd2eb.jpg

Weld it to your downpipe and your good.
I'm going to purchase a McCord electric cutout
because I can't get underneath my SRT to open it unless
I drive one side up on 2x6's.

Tony Hanna
12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
I think I'm going to fabricate mine so that the cap sits flush with the body. That way no crawling under the car is needed for removal.

boost geek
12-28-2005, 08:48 PM
If you consider a dump a cutout, this is what I run on my s.c. 3" mandrel to the dump, then 2.5" out the back. I like it, quiet, but yet noisy when I want it. Woke the car up, even with the cap on.

Tony Hanna
12-30-2005, 11:47 PM
I like that setup boost geek.:thumb: That's exactly what I had in mind for the Sundance.
Out of curiosity, how did you tie the tailpipe into the 3"?
Got any pics from under the car?
Thanks!

MOPAR2YA
12-31-2005, 12:18 AM
I did a group buy 2 years ago on the McCord unit. Its woked very good for me. Priced about 105.00

boost geek
12-31-2005, 01:16 AM
The dump could have been fishcut a little nicer, pipe was kinda ovalled where it was welded. 3" is necked down to 2 1/2" right after the dump, going to a turbo muffler. Turbo spool is louder, even with the cap on. I also drilled a small hole right before the dump cap, it's amazing how quickly you get water inside that can't come out. :yuck:

oh ya, what verse is that?
must be psalms...

Tony Hanna
12-31-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks!
That's almost exactly how I intend to set mine up except that I'd like to have the dump just a little bit farther forward so that it's a straight shot out the side. I'd like to tie the tailpipe into that with a "T" sort of like how you have the dump tied in.
Thanks for the heads-up about the drain hole too. I'd have probably not thought about it until stuff started to rust.:eek:
Thanks Again,

GLHSKEN
12-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Personally, I'm thinking about going with one of the cap style cutouts like Ken mentioned just because exhaust leaks drive me nuts and it would lessen the chance of attracting the attention of cops if I got a wild hair.
I'd have to pull over and remove the cap which would give the urge to do something stupid a chance to dissipate.:thumb:

Exactly... And it's like a minute to get it off at the track...

Diabloed
12-31-2005, 12:51 PM
I did a group buy 2 years ago on the McCord unit. Its woked very good for me. Priced about 105.00

i was thinking about a manual one too but im kinda leaning toward an electric one

i wonder if i could get a group buy thing started that would be sweet getting one for $100

Am I missing something here? I went to their web site and they sell them for $110 already? Other thing I noticed was only thing else you would need is the cheapo Y cut-out from jegs/summit in order for their unit to bolt on, right?

WVRampage
01-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Im using a warlock muffler with the cut out on the muffler its 3 inch and it uses the 3 nuts for the cap.

R/T
02-01-2006, 10:37 PM
If you have a good exhaust, there's no need for a cut out.

( Other than that sweet sound!!! ) :amen:

sergio
02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
...depends on what your idea of a "good exhaust" is.

To me, a good exhaust flows well enough for daily driving, is quiet enough I don't wake the neighborhood, and won't fail me on smog or attract the cops.

That's why I got my electric cutout. No compromises necessary, I can have my cake and eat it too.

Mario
02-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I have a 3" Downpipe, connected to a 3" exhaust cut-out (same one as Ken mentioned), 3" Pipe to the rear of the car, connected to a Dynomax 3" Straight thru muffler (forget the name of it).

I just bought two new things for the exhaust, a flange for the cut-out the goes from 3"-3.5" and then is controlled by a 3.5" electric exhaust cut-out. I'm hooking it up sometime this week. Should be fun.

2.216VTurbo
02-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Last month's Turbo Magazine had an electric style cutout with a stepper motor that could 'infinately' vary the amount valve opening. It looked like a big throttle body plate:thumb: Can't remember if they listed a price, no doubt not cheap

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 11:40 PM

To me, a good exhaust flows well enough for daily driving, is quiet enough I don't wake the neighborhood, and won't fail me on smog or attract the cops.

That's why I got my electric cutout. No compromises necessary, I can have my cake and eat it too.

Another nice thing is that you only have to run large diameter pipe part of the way. I'm planning to run 3" out the driver side straight across from where it makes the 90 deg bend. I'll put a removable cap on the end of that and "T" a stock over-the-axle pipe in. No worries about clearance to the gas tank, and no annoying squeaks and rattles.

Mario
02-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Another nice thing is that you only have to run large diameter pipe part of the way. I'm planning to run 3" out the driver side straight across from where it makes the 90 deg bend. I'll put a removable cap on the end of that and "T" a stock over-the-axle pipe in. No worries about clearance to the gas tank, and no annoying squeaks and rattles.

Yeah I've been thinking....after I put the electric cut-out on, I should run 2" pipe all the way back with a nice "grandma" muffler out back. ;)

Tony Hanna
02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Yeah I've been thinking....after I put the electric cut-out on, I should run 2" pipe all the way back with a nice "grandma" muffler out back. ;)

That would definately surprise people when you switched the cutout open.:thumb:

GLHSKEN
02-02-2006, 07:48 AM

Agreed... I needed a cat for emissions... On the dyno, my full 3" mandrel bent system cost 22 ft lbs and 11 whp with the set-up capped. Uncorking it freed up a lot of power...

glhs142
02-02-2006, 09:23 AM
i just used a v band after the down pipe do i can just take my exhaust off whenever i go to dyno/track/fun whatever. less weight that way. exhaust pipe and cat can get heavy.

green IROC R/T
02-05-2006, 09:00 AM
I have a 3" exhaust front to back but wanted a cutout for the strip. I bought a cutout on ebay from Summit for about $25 and got a $20 coupon for my next purchase from them. Instead of just capping it I bought an electric cutout from the guy on ebay for about $120- good quality. I gained 2/10's my first time to the track using it verses the 3" exhaust.

MOPAR2YA
02-07-2006, 02:57 AM
If you have a good exhaust, there's no need for a cut out.

( Other than that sweet sound!!! ) :amen:

No true, 86Shelbys previous owner has a full 3 inch system and made about 30 h.p. more with the open cutout. I did a search we got the cutout for 91.00 back in 2003 :thumb: :thumb:

GLHSKEN
02-07-2006, 09:37 PM
+1^^^^ It is a noticible difference...

R/T
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Serious Wood with a 2.5" crimp bent side exit and catco converter: 14.13

4 days later with open downpipe: 14.11

Same track, boost, tires, gas....

I bet it really depends on how big your downpipe is, in this case the rest of the system really did'nt matter. :p

SpoolinGLH
02-07-2006, 11:05 PM
You guys are telling me that if I have a 3inch swingvalve,3inch downpipe and 3 inch all the way back with no cat and maybe not even a muffler..That I would gain that much with a cutout??..

GLHSKEN
02-08-2006, 11:04 AM
No need for a completely open exhaust like that. When you are running through "some" sort of exhaust system the gains are noticible. Reeves runs exactly how you described.

8valves
02-08-2006, 02:11 PM
The placement of your cutout is critical to optimal performance though. I used to run a 3" DP and to an electric cutout, then totally stock 1 7/8" piping in teh rear. With the cutout entirely open even at idle speeds the exhaust coudl still be felt coming out of the rear tailipe section... think of what would happen at WOT w/ velocity pushing right past the cutout.

It needs to be in a straightline off the exhaust, where when it's open it's harder for the exhaust to travel the legnth of the pipe rather then just out into the open.

This brings up a lot of good points to people... for those like me with an external wastegate, lots of DSM/EVO guys and even the turbo 350Z/Supra crowd are seeing gains of 30-40WHP from dumping their externals to atmosphere with a seperate downpipe.

I think a lot of people on here would see gains jumping to a 4" exhaust as well.

Aaron Miller

SpoolinGLH
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
No need for a completely open exhaust like that. When you are running through "some" sort of exhaust system the gains are noticible. Reeves runs exactly how you described.

When you say no need for a completely open exhaust ,your saying theres no need for the cutout ,correct? Or no need for an exhaust like that?....Yeh thats how I plan on running.....

GLHSKEN
02-08-2006, 06:29 PM
EXAMPLE... Reeves 2.5L Omni has 3" EVERYTHING, side exit mandrel bent 90 going to the side. He has a 3" race magnum "bullit" style muffler on the end. just a hollow chamber. I don't think a cutout would help him much.

I have the SAME set-up, except a catco cat. The cut-out helped quite a bit.

SpoolinGLH
02-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Ok, thats what I was thinking....

Russ Jerome
02-14-2006, 12:46 AM

That was a great deal, mine is still working great.

Nice having full exhaust and with a blip of the switch
3" dump at downpipe! Messing with cars on freeway
and track, idle up to staging lights and BAWAAAA!!!
Rolling back return road quiet as a mouse..ahead of
the other guy :)

Koreth
03-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I'd considered a cutout, as I will be needing to run a cat to pass emissions in CO. However, the class I want to run in at the track is a 'street' class, and thus nothing illegal on the street is legal in that class. This includes things like cutouts, punched out/no cats and the like. If I were to run in another class, then things might be different.

Keito
03-28-2006, 07:34 AM
My stock SRT-4 picked up 2 tenths in the 1/4 with just a cutout.

Diabloed
03-28-2006, 07:41 AM
does anyone have some good pictures of one mounted on a daytona? I got mine on and i'm thinking it's way to low to be driving on the street, and wanted too see where others put there's

thanks

Will Martin
07-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Just got my pipe in the other day. I'm mounting it tomorrow with the electric cut out. Came with gasket, block off plate, mounting bolts/nuts, and clamps.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/719000-719999/719818_172_full.jpg

Ground Rat
07-10-2006, 02:55 AM
I don't have an electric cutout on my van yet, but will be buying one very soon. They are well worth the money. Here are a couple of pics of the setup on my old truck:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/GroundRat/454SS/exhaust_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/GroundRat/454SS/exhaust_4.jpg

BTW, those are QTECs, I didn't have any problems with them. I'm not sure who I will be going with this time.

Will Martin
07-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Finally got it in today. Man, this thing is da bomb! :thumb: Throttle response is better and the turbo really spools now! Even has a light that tells me when it's open/closed.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/719000-719999/719818_173_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/719000-719999/719818_174_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/719000-719999/719818_175_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/719000-719999/719818_176_full.jpg