PDA

View Full Version : re-painting engine parts

shrapnel
06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I' ve decided to re-paint some of the beat up parts on the engine like the airconditioner condenser connections, power steering pump, etc. What is the best paint(s) anyone will reccomend?

rare_ram
06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd say clean real well and a final clean with brake cleaner and use high heat paint.

rich tideswell
06-05-2009, 09:41 PM
use this on radiator and a/c condenser. high heat stuff on everything else
http://www.eastwood.com/paints/underhood-paints/ew-radiator-black-paint-gloss-aerosol-12-oz.html

1984rampage
06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Powdercoat them.. You wont regret it

Marcus86GLHS
06-06-2009, 05:25 AM
another option is go to Eastwood's website and check out the variety of rattle-can OEM-style finishes they sell, they make great stuff if you want a quality finish that duplicates the original appearance of various engine parts.

mpgmike
06-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Rustoleum has a Stainless Steel paint that matches aluminum better than aluminum paint. It's only available in the Professional grade. When the can says "Shake Well for 2 minutes", do it.

Mike

Nemesismachine
06-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Powdercoat them.. You wont regret it

You powdercoat a power steering pump and let us know how that turns out. :confused:

I know Evo guys like to use grill paint on the wide can part of the exhaust, so you can't see the huge can under there, so that might be an option (grill paint, not buy an Evo).

1984rampage
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
You powdercoat a power steering pump and let us know how that turns out. :confused:.

My bad dood, no reason to be a dick about it. I didnt read the post, I just saw painting engine parts and for the most part, powdercoating is better than painting... Just my opinion

Nemesismachine
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not being a dick. It's common sense if you've had anything powdercoated before, because they will make you feel like an a ss when you ask them. Trust me, I have. Any part you want to powdercoat gets heated up in an oven, you know that right? Thats why we say brackets and bumpers are fine. A tank that has bearings and plastic parts? Not the best idea.