PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank maintence/parts question

135sohc
06-04-2009, 10:53 PM
In the next few months I'd like to drop the fuel tank so I can inspect it internally and take care of some rust thats forming on it. and clean up & paint the underbody in that area. and strip & repaint the filler tube as its not rusty but not looking so great

The insulator pad between the tank and the car. Pad there now (or whats left of it anyways) appears to be some heavy paper/fiber based sheeting. I'm thinking a thick piece of tar paper would suffice ?

and the filler tube grommet. Are these still available from chrysler ? or do I have to cross my fingers that the one on there now wont crumble apart ?

final question do the rollover valves have a tendancy to go bad ? I have a new spare grommet for that should it be needed.

Thanks

135sohc
06-10-2009, 02:03 AM
bump :confused2:

a new rollover valve is only $9 so I guess i'll get a new one.

turbovanmanČ
06-10-2009, 02:08 AM
I use rubber mat for the straps when the stock fibre paper stuff goes.

Yes, grommets are still available from the dealer.

Never seen a roll over valve go bad but for $9, why not, ;)

Skibbe
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Amazing what the search function will net... I've been trying to find a replacement source for the rollover valve. I broke the vacuum line nipple off mine when trying to move it from the old tank to the new tank. Is this a standard parts store item?

Skibbe
09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, apparently it's dealer only, and I was quoted ~$30 for a new one!

Guys at Napa were the funniest, "Huh? Rollover valve? Fuel tank? Is that like a muffler bearing??"

chilort
09-15-2009, 11:53 PM
The filler neck grommet is still available to back up what Simon said. I got one just last week and it was even in stock (must fit a number of other vehicles...). It was just over $25 with tax.

You might find a rollover valve in the JY. It'd surely be cheaper than the dealer.

As for the OP, I took my tank down and what a PITA. I've been able to reuse both the pads. The front one was easy. It came free of the tank and the car with no problem. The one more toward the rear of the car was not as easy. I was able to pull it up and scrape it up using a putty knife. I used 3M spray tac to put them back in place.