PDA

View Full Version : "Normal" Oil Pressure? 2.2L TII

JamesWilson
06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Just picked up the car, needed a fuel pump/filter/lines but got it running this afternoon.

Amid a few other problems, it seems like the oil pressure is a bit "low".

10w-40 engine oil, Purolator filter, if that matters. 0 miles on oil change.

Video of the stock gauge here--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzf1IajrDoo

Does this seem low? Car was up to temperature (fan on and running) but the oil was still cool.

Thoughts? I know I need to hook up a real oil gauge in the near future.

Thanks,

JW

neonsox
06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
These cars are notorious for bad oil sensors. You probably have both a gauge and light, so you'll see two sensors on the front of the engine block. You want to replace the bigger, rounder one on the driver's side. That's what I did and readings are much improved on the stock gauge although you are getting good fluctuation as it is now... maybe something else is going on.

cordes
06-05-2009, 10:13 AM
I would check it with a mechanical gauge.

turbojerk
06-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Ditch the factory gauge in favor of an Autometer oil pressure unit. I NEVER trust the 20+ y.o. factory clusters...

turbojerk
06-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Your timing belt sounds to be too tight also...

cordes
06-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Your timing belt sounds to be too tight also...

You're right. You can really hear it whining at the end of the vid.

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Top of this section-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22030

JamesWilson
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, did not know that about the timing belt. Yes, checking the tension on the back side it does seem awefully tight, I'll check into the adjustment procedure.

I think I am just going to get the 3-gauge pod, the cheapy Sunpro gauge cluster with mechanical gauges, for $29 from AutoZone. That way I'll have a little bit more $$ for the A/F gauge as well.

cordes
06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
You should be able to give the front side of the belt about a 1/4 turn. They make a tool to set the tension. It obviously isn't required, but the first time I used one I was surprised with how little tension is supposed to be on the belt.