PDA

View Full Version : Can't get rid of P-0344

SoCalCSX
06-03-2009, 07:27 PM
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent

First got it a few weeks ago. Changed the cam sensor and cleaned up the oil the was leaking from the old one not sealing and everything seemed ok for a few days. Then it went into limp mode throwing the same code. Turn it off then back on, no limp mode but still CEL. Let it sit overnight and the CEL goes away.

It's been doing this off and on the last couple weeks, any ideas?

turboaddict
06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
it might be the ckp throwing that code.

SoCalCSX
06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
ckp??

glhs0426
06-03-2009, 11:27 PM
ckp=crankshaft position (sensor)

cmp=camshaft position (sensor)

Sometimes the ckp causes the cmp code and vise versa. Was the cam target screw tight in the end of the cam? Has there been anything done on the timing belt end of the engine recently? A loose belt can cause this code. A loose belt could be cause by a bad water pump. Do you have a coolant leak?

Chances are the crank sensor is at fault. It depends on the year, but I think there was an update for erroneous p0344 codes. More information needed to look it up.

John

SoCalCSX
06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
ckp=crankshaft position (sensor)

cmp=camshaft position (sensor)

Sometimes the ckp causes the cmp code and vise versa. Was the cam target screw tight in the end of the cam? Has there been anything done on the timing belt end of the engine recently? A loose belt can cause this code. A loose belt could be cause by a bad water pump. Do you have a coolant leak?

Chances are the crank sensor is at fault. It depends on the year, but I think there was an update for erroneous p0344 codes. More information needed to look it up.

John

Didn't check the cam target screw but I will tomorrow or Friday. Nothing done on the timing belt side of the engine, water pump is good, no coolant leaks. I'll also check the belt tension, it's getting close to time to do the belt anyways.

Turbozcs2003
06-04-2009, 09:45 AM
How many miles out of curiotsity? I have PT GT and have a spare cam sensor since I know they tend to fail.

ANy drivability issue when triggered ?? IE could you still drive it? what does it do when in limp mode??

SoCalCSX
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
How many miles out of curiotsity? I have PT GT and have a spare cam sensor since I know they tend to fail.

ANy drivability issue when triggered ?? IE could you still drive it? what does it do when in limp mode??

It's got about 79,000 miles. I alreday changed the cam sensor a few weeks ago so it should be fine.

It goes into limp mode at first but usually I can turn it off then back on and it's fine except the CEL is still there and it still shows the code when I do the key dance.

Limp mode is like a self defense mechanism against the driver. Won't let me go over 2500 rpm, when you hit 2500 rpm it's like hitting a rev limiter.

CNH320
06-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Due to the intermittent nature i'd suspect the wiring. Clear the codes, start the car and mess with the wiring to see if you can trip a fault.

SoCalCSX
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Due to the intermittent nature i'd suspect the wiring. Clear the codes, start the car and mess with the wiring to see if you can trip a fault.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Does anyone know if there is a pigtail on the sensor or is the plug wired all the way back into the harness? Would be nice if that were the issue and I could just get a new pigtail.

glhs0426
06-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Does anyone know if there is a pigtail on the sensor or is the plug wired all the way back into the harness? Would be nice if that were the issue and I could just get a new pigtail.

No pigtails per say. There is an "injector" harness, but that is about it. Camshaft and Crankshaft connectors are available with a short length of wire to solder into the harness.

P/N's

05014007AA Camshaft Position Sensor Connector
05014007AA Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector

Yes, same P/N! List price $26.50. LA and San Francisco warehouses show plenty of stock provided you need one.

tommyturbo
06-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm starting to think my issue may be the crank sensor. Car runs, but drops #4 cylinder, no codes. I've got 76K right now.

SoCalCSX
06-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm starting to think my issue may be the crank sensor. Car runs, but drops #4 cylinder, no codes. I've got 76K right now.

I don't know WTF mine's problem is. No CEL for a few days but it's been stumbling at stop lights to the point of almost stalling. I drive about 15 miles to school half freeway, half surface streets and it does it once or twice each way.

tommyturbo
06-10-2009, 01:17 AM
that is exactly what mine was doing, no codes, thought it was an eratic tps signal. then driving one day accelerating very lightly and bamb, starts running like ---- dropping #4 and gutless. Barely made it a mile back home.

thematrixcode
06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok my guess would be replace the crank sensor, first. I had a friend that had that happen on his o4 srt, got one from the local parts store and it lasted about 2 months and it did the same thing. After that he went back to dodge and got a mopar one and the issue was fixed.

I try to keep 1 of every sensor from the srt motor in my trunk just incase, and an extra set in the garage.

thematrixcode
06-15-2009, 10:56 PM
oh and did you ever have the recall fixed for the TB? wires were breaking off due to how the people at the assembly line hooked them up....:thumb:

SoCalCSX
06-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok my guess would be replace the crank sensor, first. I had a friend that had that happen on his o4 srt, got one from the local parts store and it lasted about 2 months and it did the same thing. After that he went back to dodge and got a mopar one and the issue was fixed.

I try to keep 1 of every sensor from the srt motor in my trunk just incase, and an extra set in the garage.

It's on my to do list but I need to get underneath and see what crank sensor I have. Seems the 03 ptgt's have a one year only crank sensor that runs over $100 compared to the $30 or so of the rest of them.

oh and did you ever have the recall fixed for the TB? wires were breaking off due to how the people at the assembly line hooked them up....:thumb:

No havn't heard of that bet they seem to be ok now.

glhs0426
06-16-2009, 11:25 AM
It's on my to do list but I need to get underneath and see what crank sensor I have. Seems the 03 ptgt's have a one year only crank sensor that runs over $100 compared to the $30 or so of the rest of them.

What? The parts book at work shows P/N 5269873AB as the P/N for all 2.4L from 2003 to 2007. List price in DealerConnect less than $30.

Domestic turbo 2.4L all were NGC (engine controller) and had the sensor on the front of the block. The earlier 2.4L used the SBEC (engine controller) and had the crank sensor on the back of the block.

The early sensor 1994-2002 is P/N 5269703 and lists for over $100 in DealerConnect.

SoCalCSX
06-16-2009, 11:59 AM
What? The parts book at work shows P/N 5269873AB as the P/N for all 2.4L from 2003 to 2007. List price in DealerConnect less than $30.

Domestic turbo 2.4L all were NGC (engine controller) and had the sensor on the front of the block. The earlier 2.4L used the SBEC (engine controller) and had the crank sensor on the back of the block.

The early sensor 1994-2002 is P/N 5269703 and lists for over $100 in DealerConnect.

Sweet, looks like I'll do it this weekend then.

SoCalCSX
08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Update on this....

Ended up being oil in the spark plug tubes from boost blowing through a bad pcv valve. I found this when I changed plugs a few weeks ago and the spark plug boots were soaked about an inch up.

So after I changed them I added a catch can and check valve to the pcv line and all is good. Changed the valve cover gasket and spark tube seals last night and they were raggity to say the least.....

JamesL
08-08-2009, 12:44 PM
So you get a cam sensor code because oil was fouling the plug wire? Wierd. Just proves there's no substitution for eyes on.

glhs0426
08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
OK, I'll add that to the brain matter for things to check when a car comes in with P0344. Weird indeed. The sensors are supposed to give false readings causing false misfire codes, not misfires giving false sensor codes!

Have you checked to see if your car needs the PCM update for false P0344 codes? Maybe this is the reason for the update.

SoCalCSX
08-10-2009, 12:17 AM
No havn't checked on that. It's got an SCT tune on it as of Friday night so I don't know if that would change anything. I've got a couple other things to adress before I start puting miles on it again to see if it's truly gone for good but I am optimistic...

SebringLX
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
You were on revision AG, your tune uses the most current revision of your PCM, whcih is AM. So I'm sure that fix is on there. ;)

Big_P
08-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Cars are so weird. I had a Mustang GT in a few weeks ago with a cam position code. Ended up needing an alternator.

Now if I can get the get the Small Evap Leak code out of my Caravan so I can sell it.... :confused:

SoCalCSX
08-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Aaaaaaaand it's back......with a vengeance lol. I just got the car buttoned up from the recent work I've done. SCT tune was loaded up and I was about to do my tranny learn, grrrrr

Badger
08-13-2009, 03:15 AM
umm....maybe try changing out the crank sensor?

SoCalCSX
08-13-2009, 03:20 AM
I just took off the cam sensor to take a looks and there was a bit of oil on there. I'm gonna check the target screw( I think that's what it's called) tomorrow but I'm burnt out tonight. Been working on it off and on all day trying to button up 3 or 4 little projects/f ups.

SoCalCSX
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
I pulled the cam sensor today to check if that screw was tight and as soon as I pulled the sensor off oil started dripping out of the end of the cam, sweet. The sensor was coated in oil so I'm guessing this would be the cause? Anybody know what it could be causing the leak? Is it a cam seal?

glhs0426
08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I pulled the cam sensor today to check if that screw was tight and as soon as I pulled the sensor off oil started dripping out of the end of the cam, sweet. The sensor was coated in oil so I'm guessing this would be the cause? Anybody know what it could be causing the leak? Is it a cam seal?

This is why there is an o-ring seal pressed into the cam sensor. The sensor seals the crankcase at that point.

In my experience, when you change either the cam or crank sensor you will not physically see anything wrong with either sensor.

Big_P
08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
+1, odds are the sensor will look fine but will somehow fail internally.

SoCalCSX
08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
The cam sensor in it has less than 2000 miles on it. It's from Autozone though so it wouldn't surprise me if it were dead already.

SoCalCSX
09-07-2009, 01:05 AM
So I've come to the conclusion that the code is directly related to my air conditioning. If I leave my A/C off, no codes, ever. If I run the A/C I get the code almost immediately. I've been driving around all weekend with the A/C off trying to get the code to come up and nothing. Go figure....

glhs0426
09-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I have seen A/C cause a misfire code on a Grand Cherokee, so, it wouldn't suprise me if it could cause a P0344. I never saw where you have changed the crank sensor, only the cam sensor. Have you invested in a crank sensor?

SoCalCSX
09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes, crank sensor has been changed.

SoCalCSX
09-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Ugh, it came on again tonight. Just when I thought it was gone. I give up with this car, if it's not one thing it's another. Time to de-mod it and look for a nice fox body mustang me thinks...

DodgeZ
11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
you get it fixed?

20w/ashelby
11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
If it seems to be related to the a/c check for common links in the wiring. Possibly a shared ground somewhere? Could be the A/C compressor clutch drawing too much, causing the CMP to starve so to speak. I know it can be overwhelming sometimes, but it's just wires and sensors, there has to be a problem somewhere.

EDIT: For future reference, avoid aftermarket sensors. When it comes to electronics, trust Mopar. If you need a ball joint go aftermarket.

SoCalCSX
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
you get it fixed?

No, crank sensor is still sitting in my glove box. Don't have the time or any real motivation to tear into it. It's colder out now so it takes longer to go into closed loop and set off the CEL. Most of my trips are under 10 miles so it doesn't ever really bother me. I'll handle it eventually, probably when I go back to school and have access to everything I need.

cep71847
03-17-2011, 07:52 AM
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent

First got it a few weeks ago. Changed the cam sensor and cleaned up the oil the was leaking from the old one not sealing and everything seemed ok for a few days. Then it went into limp mode throwing the same code. Turn it off then back on, no limp mode but still CEL. Let it sit overnight and the CEL goes away.

It's been doing this off and on the last couple weeks, any ideas?

After replacing the cam and crank sensors less than a year ago, and verifying that the wiring harness was in good shape, my mechanic did some digging to see what might be causing the same engine light codes again. He discovered a vacuum leak. Here is his description:
"REPLACE INTAKE PLENIUM AND GSKS TO CORRECT VACUUM LEAK CREATING RUNNING PROBLEM AND ENGINE LIGHTS."
Doing these things has also solved rough idle problems that were not resolved when the sensors were replaced on the previous visit. Hope this helps you because it drove me crazy!

rus0sell
10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
After replacing the cam and crank sensors less than a year ago, and verifying that the wiring harness was in good shape, my mechanic did some digging to see what might be causing the same engine light codes again. He discovered a vacuum leak. Here is his description:
"REPLACE INTAKE PLENIUM AND GSKS TO CORRECT VACUUM LEAK CREATING RUNNING PROBLEM AND ENGINE LIGHTS."
Doing these things has also solved rough idle problems that were not resolved when the sensors were replaced on the previous visit. Hope this helps you because it drove me crazy!

Today my girlfriend tried to pass an emissions test and two fails came up (knew they were there, haven't had the time to deal with them). First is "P0441: EVAP Control System Incorrent Purge Flow" and second is "P0344: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent". I've read about the two individually on the site, but after reading cep's comment, I am wondering if one problem is causing both codes. Any insight (and what it will cost!)?

CNH320
10-07-2011, 10:21 PM
For the P0441 check for a kinked vacuum line between the intake manifold down to the purge valve which is located on the drivers side bottom of the firewall just above teh K-Frame. It could also be a kinked line between the purge valve and the evaporative canister back behind the passenger side rear tire. the vacuum diagram underhood will give you a rough outline of the routing. Its also possible the purge valve is stuck closed.

Crazycustoms
03-22-2013, 11:55 PM
i have the same code on my 2003 dodge neon se 2.0L. I already replace the cam sensor with a dealership part new. checked wiring for any shorts or opens its good too. put my lab scope on it and it does not match the way its supposed to be. checked my timing and its off by one tooth? would that affect it by any chance?????

Samatva
07-23-2014, 09:18 PM
I *finally* fixed my P0344 code on a 2005 Dodge Caravan 4-cyl by changing the magnet on the end of the camshaft - about $20 from Amazon Airtex 5S7062