PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/ T2 conversion

cordes
04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
OK, I have competed the 86-87 GLHS to 87 TII conversion per the faq on this site, but my car will not start now. The car is a 86' GLHT, and ran fine on the GLHS comp that was in the car until this morning.

Some things to considder that have me a little baffeled.

1. when moving pin 14 on the blue connector to pin 9 on the red connector, there was an extra wire there which all accounts indicate it should not be there. It is black with a blue tracer.

2. I am putting my own cal in the car, and I have checked to continuity between the chip legs and the ZIF socket legs on the other side of the board. No suprises there.

I am going to run out side and use a spare 2 bar map to test the MP 87 TII chip that I have.

Help, as I am down to zero cars now:thumb:

cordes
04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
OK, I just got back from trying the TII chip with the 2bar map, to no avail.

Could this extra wire be my problem?

tryingbe
04-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Time to convert back to the GLHS computer.

cordes
04-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Time to convert back to the GLHS computer.

Yeah, I think I will give that a go after a quick meal here. I will leave cavity 9 on the red connector open though, and see what happens. Who knows what that extra wire goes to.

cordes
04-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Just a thought, but does the LM use the mount for a ground? I would think not, and I have tried it with it in the proper place of course, but I just want to be sure.

cordes
04-25-2006, 07:37 PM
I just tried the GLHS computer again, and no dice. I noticed that for some reason my power loss light does not come on any more with any combination of the three LMs.

however when I tried the 87 TII LM again when I went back out side, it would turn the fan on when I unhooked the map line with the key forward.

I haven't the fogiest how this went awry, as I only had to move to darn pins from one connector to the other.

Any advice or ridicule is greatly appreciated.

Lee'sdaytona
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
OK I think you are referring to the wrong side of the connector. As I remember, I looked at the diagram from the top where the wires go in, and I too had an 'extra' wire, but I soon realized that the numbered diagram of the plug is actually read from the female side of the plug where it meets the pins of the logic module. I hope thats your mistake, because otherwise I would tend to think your LM has issues....
-Lee

GLHSKEN
04-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Swap things to the way they were and try the car. There are a total of 4 I belive that need to be swapped.

Damn I've done it so many times but I still am clueless. There should have been NOTHING on the #9 connector anf from the color/tracer description you gave... That should be a sensor ground...

cordes
04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Ok, I will probably have to go out and look at the connectors again. I took a diagram out there with me which showed how the pins were numberd and that the fat part of the connection is on top when looking at it.

I guess I could have pulled the wrong pin some where along the line, and now I will have to figure it out. I tried to re-trace my steps an run the GLHS LM again, but to no avail.

Like I keep saying, I am not very good with electrical, but I am poor enough to learn.

Lee'sdaytona
04-25-2006, 07:58 PM
alright, just make sure you look at the connector from the side that goes into the LM, not where the wires come in. Just as a reference, try to match up the numbers with the wires according to color scheme so you have an idea of actually which pin is 1, 2, 3...etc...
good luck!
-Lee

cordes
04-25-2006, 08:00 PM
alright, just make sure you look at the connector from the side that goes into the LM, not where the wires come in. Just as a reference, try to match up the numbers with the wires according to color scheme so you have an idea of actually which pin is 1, 2, 3...etc...
good luck!
-Lee

Yeah, I have been looking at it properly all along, but not paying much attention to the color of the wires. I probably messed up there.

tryingbe
04-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Check fusible links and the fuses...

cordes
04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Check fusible links and the fuses...

Fuses all checked out, I will try the links next.

cordes
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Update:

Uppon reading the directions in the faq, I decided to actually follow them and splice into pin #25 on the red con rather than leaving it out and running a new one. I just kept over looking the obvious, and the fact that I wrote down the directions wrong did not help.

I am much more adept at trouble shooting now.

My cal seems to be working just fine thus far.

I think Ken wins the prize on this one since he called the use of the wire by color, and noted the fact that I should not have any extras other than the orange with green tracer.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.:thumb:

GLHSKEN
04-27-2006, 03:54 PM
LOL... glad you found it... When you are like us (electronics and wiring are NOT my thing) the task is daunting at first. Once you do it, it's one of those... that all there was to it???

85_600
04-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Tell me about it :o Here I made a whole post about figuring out the wiring, and I go and "almost" screw it up :yuck:

Again, thanks to Ken for clearing this up. And I havn't even started on my conversion yet - not for another 2 months :o