PDA

View Full Version : original JRB exhaust?

Tony Hanna
04-25-2006, 03:32 PM
FWDP bought the rights/tooling/whatever to make the original JRB 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems right? I'm wanting to buy the 3" version of the old school 2.5" JRB that I had on the Daytona to install on the Sundance. You guys remember the one, starts just below the flange on the down pipe and runs complete to the back bumper. If you wanted to run a cat or muffler, you cut a section of pipe out of the system to make a place for it, otherwise you had a straight pipe system from front to back.
Now comes the problem. FWDP sells the original JRB style exhausts in 3" for $200, but only for the l-bodys and vans. All that's shown for G/P bodys is a combo setup that requires you to buy a cat-back system, a down pipe, and a test pipe seperately to the tune of $317.
Now for the question. Back when JRB was still making the exhaust systems, I seem to recall that they only offered 2 systems. 1 for the vans and 1 for everything else. Can anyone else remember if that's true? If so, then the 3" l-body system that FWDP is selling should work fine on the Sundance right?
Thanks,
Tony

tryingbe
04-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Find a muffler shop that do mandrel bands...

Tony Hanna
04-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but all the exhaust shops around here do compression bends. I'd rather buy the complete system from FWDP if it'll work.

ShelbyZD
04-30-2006, 11:05 PM
That's what I was wondering too. Why wouldn't the L body 3" exhaust fit our Daytona's and Shadows and whatnot. My brother brought up an interesting point however. If that exhaust was made for a manual car it would have to have a bend up near where the shifter linkage is on the L-bodies. However, I can't see that being a problem.

Also, my bro put an exhaust from a 91 Shadow es. (from the downpipe to the cut before the axle) on his SC without any problems.

So the only conclusion I could come up with is that yes the L-body 3" exhaust would fit likely with a few minor mods (around the axle area). However I don't have any actual proof.. hopefully someone else does or can shed some light on this. :D

Force Fed Mopar
05-01-2006, 12:27 PM
The L-body is probably a slight bit shorter, and also doesn't have the track bar at the back. Not sure if either would be a big issue.

glhs727
05-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Have you ever thought of just calling us up and asking? Just because it isn't in the catalog doesn't mean we don't have it or we can't get it.
later,
Cindy

butchsuppe
05-01-2006, 10:31 PM
I found a 2.5" mendral bent ex. system in the j-yard on a 99 Neon which I bought and it was almost a perfect fit on my 86 Lazer. Only had to cut + splice the over axle pipe. the neon sys goes to the bumper + makes a 90 degree turn where the muffler runs side to side. This sys. cost me a whopping $18.+ 3hrs work. I really love making my own parts, last project was an adjustable fuel pres. reg. cost less than $10. + works really good. Next project is a rising rate fuel pres. reg. but haven,t found the right part in the j-yard yet but I wil because I,m a cheap SOB.

Garret
05-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Why not find a mack truck dealership and get less than 20 dollar 3inch 90 degree mandrel bends? I got mine for 12 dollars CND so i can only imagine the price in the US

Tony Hanna
05-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Have you ever thought of just calling us up and asking? Just because it isn't in the catalog doesn't mean we don't have it or we can't get it.
later,
Cindy

Good point Cindy. :thumb:
At the time I originally posted this though, I hadn't even got the engine back in yet and was just kicking around some ideas for exhaust. I figured somebody here would have a quick yes or no answer so I wouldn't have to bother you with questions before I was ready to order.
I take it from your post that you do have an original JRB style system that will fit my Sundance? If so, I'll be placing an order within the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the ideas everybody, but if Cindy has or can get the system I want then I'll go that route. I enjoy fabricating, but my current situation has me working in a gravel driveway so when it comes to the under-car stuff like exhaust, I'd rather go with a prebent system. The less time I spend laying in the gravel under the car, the happier I am.:nod: