PDA

View Full Version : New Intercooler Pipes Today

The S is Silent
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM
I spent the afternoon piecing together some of the mandrel bent piping I got from Racing Solutions. I think I did a pretty good job so far. It's not done yet. I need to get a reducer to go from 2.5 to 2.25 for the throttle body, and then I need to take it to an exhaust show to get the BOV port welded on.

Here's a shot of the old engine bay:

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Van%20Pics/Intercooler%20Piping%20Old.jpg

And shots of the engine bay with the new intercooler piping:

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Van%20Pics/Intercooler%20Piping%20Pass%20Side.jpg

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Van%20Pics/Intercooler%20Piping%20Driver%20Side.jpg

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Van%20Pics/Cold%20Air%20Intake.jpg

I think it looks a LOT better than it did (no offense to the Chicago guys that did such a great job putting it together for Matt). The smaller air filter fits in the engine bay a lot better, and I think it might actually get colder air to it than the giant one. I might take it all to get welded together when I get the BOV port welded on. Where do you guys thing the best place for it would be? I'm thinking about putting it on the 90 bend closest to the TB, or the straight 2" pipe going from the turbo outlet to the intercooler.

Comments please.

LynX853
04-25-2006, 03:59 PM
i know on e-bay you can order already made pipes with bov flanges. I know some welding shops charge an arm and a leg for 5 seconds of work. I think you did an awesome job so far. maybe down the road you can hard pipe the turbo to IC piping more just for a piece of mind. as for positioning the bov its harder to weld it on the bend so it looks right, but its still doable, thats how I have mine. but I'm definetly gonna add another bov right after the compressor, just to make sure i have no surge at all. plus twin RFL's should sound sweet. how do you like your MSD?

anyways, bottom line is great job, and keep up at it!

The S is Silent
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm not worried about how much it costs to get welding done. There is an exhaust shop down the street that does a lot of work for the University Sports Car Club, so I can get it done on the cheap.

So far I really like how the air intake pipe turned out, and most of the upper IC pipe that crosses the engine. I had to get a reducer to go down to the throttle body size...and it's a little bit small compared to the TB. The finished pipe has a lot of rubber hose by the TB that is going to get cleared up when I take it all to the welder.

As for the turbo to IC pipe, it is a hard pipe...it just has an expander to go from 2" to 2.5" at the end. I think I'm going move the expander closer to the turbo, and add more 2.5" pipe at the top to get rid of some of the hose near the IC. I can probably shorten the hose on the other side of the IC a lot too.

It still needs work...but hopefully by the end of the week it'll look pretty slick.

The S is Silent
05-04-2006, 06:19 PM
http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Van%20Pics/Intercooler%20Piping%20Welded%20Front.jpg

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Van%20Pics/Intercooler%20Piping%20Welded%20Close.jpg

http://people.clemson.edu/~mkessin/Pictures/Van%20Pics/Intercooler%20Piping%20Welded%20Passenger.jpg

Took the pipes to get welded today, and I really like how it all turned out. :thumb:

altered7151
05-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Looks nice! Definitally looks much better than the original setup.

mcsvt
05-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah definately looks good :thumb:

Ground Rat
05-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Looks a lot better. Are you going to paint it or powder coat it?

Wink
05-06-2006, 10:47 AM
smooth down the welds and paint the tubes. Or better yet, have them chromed!!!!

The S is Silent
05-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't think I have the time or the energy to get them looking hawt. I'm going to just leave them as is for now. There are mechanical issues to deal with before I start making it look really good.

phantom rt
05-09-2006, 03:09 PM
hi there i acquired an srt-4 ic and ur install looks great do u have more pics of the ic i want to make the install my self

The S is Silent
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Sure...lets see what I've got. Nope...I don't have anything besides what I have posted already, so I'll have to take some more. Let me know specifically what you are interested in so I can focus in on that.

The setup as of now is this:
Large NPR in my van
The upper pipe is two 90* bends welded together with a straight section in the middle...the black section is from the old setup, and is just a reducer to go down to the throttle body size. The section of hose connecting it to the IC is a nice section of truck radiator hose that goes from 3" to 2.5". Works beautifully, but I have no idea what vehicle it is off of because it was on the old setup.

Turbo to IC pipe is a straight 2" pipe off the turbo with an expander to 2.5" and a section of 2.5" pipe welded on to the end of it to attach the hose to. The hose connecting it to the IC is the same thing that was on the upper pipe.

The intake piping is a stock molded intake pipe with a 2.5 straight pipe jammed in it. On the straight section I welded an inch section of a turbo oil drainback tube that is pressed into the block for a PCV nipple. Coupled to that is a Mandrel bent 45* section with the cone filter on the end of it. That puts the cone up in the grill right next to the IC. Cold air, and no hydrolocking the engine like a stoopid ricer.

Let me know if you want pictures of anything.

Dave
05-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Oh my god yes! *humps computer screen* Looks a lot better dude! :thumb:

That intake pipe is kinda ugly. Go 3", it does a world of difference my friend.

phantom rt
05-10-2006, 09:03 AM
THANK U

ILL APPRECIATE ANY HELP

SO FAR

I HAVE AN STOCK 2.5 ENGINE AUT.TRANS. :( WITH A MITSU-TEOH4...STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM....IVE ONLY REMOVED THE CAT CONVERTER AND INSTALLED A HIGH FLOW MUFFLER mmmmm.....I HAVE A COUPLE OF VALVES ONE IS FOR BOOST PREASURE THE OTHER ONE TRICKS THE MAP SENSOR SO IT DOESNT MARK OVERBOOST....I HAVE 16PSIS

IVE MADE 15.5 IN THE 1/4 MILE :( RUN IN A 2800FEET ALTITUDE

AND IVE ACQUIRED AN SRT-4 IC..(NOT INSTALLED YET).BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MODS I SHOULD DO TO MY CAR...IM A LIL NEW ON THIS SUBJECT BUT I WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WHAT I HAVE:nod: :nod:

Dave
05-12-2006, 09:39 AM
THANK U

ILL APPRECIATE ANY HELP

SO FAR

I HAVE AN STOCK 2.5 ENGINE AUT.TRANS. :( WITH A MITSU-TEOH4...STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM....IVE ONLY REMOVED THE CAT CONVERTER AND INSTALLED A HIGH FLOW MUFFLER mmmmm.....I HAVE A COUPLE OF VALVES ONE IS FOR BOOST PREASURE THE OTHER ONE TRICKS THE MAP SENSOR SO IT DOESNT MARK OVERBOOST....I HAVE 16PSIS

IVE MADE 15.5 IN THE 1/4 MILE :( RUN IN A 2800FEET ALTITUDE

AND IVE ACQUIRED AN SRT-4 IC..(NOT INSTALLED YET).BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MODS I SHOULD DO TO MY CAR...IM A LIL NEW ON THIS SUBJECT BUT I WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WHAT I HAVE:nod: :nod:

The simple trick in making any type of engine to make power is to let it breath. Get air into and out of the combustion chamber as quick as possible.

Start there... now find your restrictions:

First off, the most important, the exhaust. Turbo engines benefit the most on the exhaust side of the engine. Get atleast a 2.5" crushed exhaust, 3" mandrel bent is recommended. Also be sure to get a cut out after the downpipe. It's been proven to add 22-30 HP and it takes off 3/10 of a second on the 1/4.

Secondly, the turbo. That mitsu has (if I remember right) a 13b wheel, I think the TSI's have a 12b wheel. If that helps any, the wheels and housing are tiny. They suck. Atleast upgrade to a T03 Garrett (TII turbo).

The SRT4 intercooler will be a very good choice. I'd go with 2.25" or 2.5" intercooler piping. That will help keep some good pressure to increase velocity but not too much pressure to cause heat expansion.

Get some gauges to monitor what you're doing. I'd get a Dawe's Device A/F gauge to watch your A/F's. There's a way to test it's signal from the O2 if you'd want to know how, ask me.

A 15.5 with a stock exhaust and turbo, that's freaking awesome! Put all that stuff I told you on there and you will be running low 14's for sure.

One more thing, upgrade that tranny if you can. Get a tranny cooler, either get a shift kit or RMVB and turn the line pressure up. The harder it hits, the less clutch slippage and burning you'll have, that equals less heat and faster shifts. When you get a tranny that hits so hard that your coffee flies out of the mug, you know you got a good one! Have fun and be safe bud.