PDA

View Full Version : Why would you Resize Rods?!

89ShelbyGuy
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey Guys...i am in a delima...bought this 2.5 block a few years back...found the crank needing to be ground....i found the orignal ad for it...which is this:

This is just the bottom end for sale... I can include top end for a bit more...
.30 over with mahle pistons, stock rods shotpeened and ARP bolts installed. Motor was professionally gone thru last winter, 10k on it, everything is new. no leaks and i'd like to keep the pan (2.2) if possible. It does have the balance shafts deleted and plugged. I can have it out of the car in a day due to the trans being pulled. I've only used mobil 1 synthetic in it since broken in.
$450obo

machining-300
rods resized/arp bolted and shotpeened 200
pistons-100
rings-60
bearings-50
gasket set-80
assembly-250
wiping the smirk off the mustang owners face- priceless

Rods Resized? Don't think the crank was touched....what are your thoughts?

contraption22
06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
The rods need to be resized when installing new rod bolts to assure the big end remains perfectly round.

89ShelbyGuy
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
so they basicly keep to the stock size then? or do you need different bearings other then std.?

contraption22
06-01-2009, 02:02 PM
No, It should still use standard bearings unless the crank has been cut.

Turbodave
06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
The OD of the rod bearings doesn't change, so regardless of how much the crank is cut the big end of the rod needs to be the same size. The bearings will be thicker for an undersize crank, so smaller ID

But like Mike said, the resizing of the rods is done to make sure they are true once the new rod bolts are installed.

89ShelbyGuy
06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
this sucks...found my crank to be cut already.....its at .010/.030
this sucks...kevin doesn't think the guy will cut it anymore..and i told him let me find you a untouched one....damnit...hopefully joseph still has that one..

His crank has some surface rust on it...cutting it down should take that right off right? on a untouched crank?

Tom

contraption22
06-01-2009, 02:51 PM
this sucks...found my crank to be cut already.....its at .010/.030
this sucks...kevin doesn't think the guy will cut it anymore..and i told him let me find you a untouched one....damnit...hopefully joseph still has that one..

His crank has some surface rust on it...cutting it down should take that right off right? on a untouched crank?

Tom

Sometimes even a minor polish is all that's needed to take care of minor surface rust.