PDA

View Full Version : Oil temp sensor location question?

turbovanmanČ
05-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I just picked up my oil temp gauge, so I can just tee it into the oil cooler inlet line? I don't want to remove my oil pan, its so nicely sealed up right now, :thumb:

Edited post due to my misuse of english, :o

Juggy
05-30-2009, 05:06 PM
id much rather know the temperature of the oil coming out of the motor then going in

turbovanmanČ
05-30-2009, 05:19 PM
id much rather know the temperature of the oil coming out of the motor then going in

Well its either the oil pan or outlet, wondering if there is that much of a temp difference. Don't really care about in temps.

zin
05-30-2009, 07:31 PM
The oil pan will give you the best idea of the overall operating temp of the oil. Other placement might not be as consistent. You could put it on the inlet to the engine, but that won't really tell you much other than if your cooler is working up to snuff.

Mike

zin
05-30-2009, 07:32 PM

That's pretty much what you have when you take the temp in the pan...

Mike

black86glhs
05-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Can you modify an oil galley plug from the head and take your readings there?

zin
05-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Can you modify an oil galley plug from the head and take your readings there?

That might work, though it starts becoming open to debate as to where to get a "real" or "most accurate" reading... Is it in the galley going to the head?, to the mains?, etc. Most of the published info on what is a "good" or "proper" oil temp are based on oil pan readings so that's what I go with. Not to say that it wouldn't be interesting to see how much the temps vary from point to point. Checking the temp after the cooler and comparing it to ambient would be a good indicator of the efficiency of the cooler and/or the location (air flow, etc). But if you just want to see if you are getting close to "cooking" your oil, the pan is the man!:eyebrows:

Mike

bakes
05-31-2009, 02:21 AM
go for the pan too bad you couldnt. use the oli drain plug hole .sorry just thinking drunk out loud.

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2009, 03:43 AM
If I was taking off the pan, that's where it would go but like I said, its not coming off right now.

I really can't see much difference from oil pan to cooler outlet, it should be damn close in temp.

zin
05-31-2009, 12:13 PM
I really can't see much difference from oil pan to cooler outlet, it should be damn close in temp.

I'm sure that's not what you really meant, because if you check in the outlet it would have already been cooled to the lowest temp it will be, and not represent what temp it is really running at... I imagine you meant the inlet since that would be the next best thing....

Mike

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm sure that's not what you really meant, because if you check in the outlet it would have already been cooled to the lowest temp it will be, and not represent what temp it is really running at... I imagine you meant the inlet since that would be the next best thing....

Mike

Ok, I see, I should have worded it differently, sorry, I meant the sandwhich adapter outlet, that's what I was thinking the whole time but typed cooler outlet, :banghead:

zin
06-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Ok, I see, I should have worded it differently, sorry, I meant the sandwhich adapter outlet, that's what I was thinking the whole time but typed cooler outlet, :banghead:

Any way you slice it, if you get the oil's temp coming out of the pan/pump, it's the next best thing to having it in the pan, should be within a few degrees...

Mike

PS you can probably add it pretty easily too, Earl's sells in-line gauge adapters to fit up to 10an (I think), they are just a male/female adapter with a hex drilled and tapped for 1/8NPT, bolt in and go!