PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for when going Jyarding for a tranny...

Hooty
04-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey All,
So I am thinking of going out to the J-yard to see if they even have any transmissions for my lebaron (a-413, turbo 1) and I was wondering if some of you more experienced pick'n'pull jockeys may have a few tips? I'm also kind of thinking of doing a rebuild on my own on the j-yard tranny or am I asking for serious trouble being inexperienced with transmissions? (Give me a desktop or laptop computer any day). My main goal is to save money on this whole shebang and get my baron back on the road. I don't have a lot of facilities either, so this whole thing could take some time. I know other T1s used the a413, but which ones and what years can I use (I have an 89). I also know there has been talk about which Torque Converter to make sure it has because there is a major difference with the TBI and the turbo t.c. Thanks all. Going to go out junkyard sniffing today to see if I can even find one local to me.:eyebrows: Thanks ya'll

-Will
96 T-bird 4.6L lightly modded
89 Lebaron 2.5L T1 *now with a blown tranny...mmmm... crunchy!*

butchsuppe
04-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Not much on automatics, but I do know the turbo minivan trans are HD and more clutches in them

Darkwolf
04-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Trannies get swapped around a lot over the years so there is really only one good way to know what you are getting.
http://www.robskorner.freehomepage.com/faqs/Trans/a413trans.html
Print that out and take it with you. The numbers listed at the bottom of each of those little boxes are stamped into the tranny right above the valve body pan on the driver's side. Bring a can of degreaser, rags, and a flashlight with you. Even then you won't really know whats inside till you open it up. I think in 87 all the turbo version got the 4 clutch rear drum and in 88 all the turbos got both front and rear 4 clutch drums but I am not positive on that.

Hooty
04-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Okay, So here's the next question in my series of a couple, and that is, where is a good place to look for rebuild parts? I remember seeing some kits online but I can't remember for the life of me, and I know I remember there being a ton of different kits and parts available, but I am thinking of tackling the rebuild on my own, crazy or not. So, anyone know of a good supplier for these types of kits? www.txchange.com was one possibility, but they really don't give much information online. Thanks.

-Will

supercrackerbox
04-26-2006, 10:07 AM
One point I can offer is this: When you pull the axles out of the tranny, shine a flashlight in there and look for severe scoring on the diff pin.

Hooty
04-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Well, I'm thinking of ripping the whole thing down and rebuilding it, as I am a glutton for punishment, but if I can spend 3-5 hundred on a possibly not working Junkyard tranny, why not just spend the money on the parts and rebuild mine.... but what is the scoring indicate? The diff pin is the one I am thinking of that can slide out, right? Thanks again for you help guys, but if you do know an online supplier, I would love to know.

-Will

supercrackerbox
04-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Scoring on the diff pin seems to be caused by one wheel spinning more than the other. A little bit is probably guaranteed, but a LOT will indicate an abused tranny/car. You can still buy them from the dealer, I *think* it was around $30.

altered7151
04-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Try to find a car that looks like its been wrecked, that way you know it was running when it met its demise. If a car looks to be in good shape, chances are its in the yard because either the motor or tranny went south.

Hooty
04-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Good advice all the way around. I was looking at some kits online earlier for rebuilding, but they seemed to be toward friction material and gaskets, is there much more that I need? Maybe a new differential or is it on a case by case basis as to what I'll need? Or am I just annoying the heck outta ya'll by asking all these questions (my goal here is get enough information together before I do anything so I don't waste money and time by getting in over my head). Thanks

-Will

Hooty
04-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Well, for better or for worse, I ordered a copy of the Technical serive manual for the transmission, so I guess worst case, I have a copy of the technical service manual to go with the rest of the technical type books I have in my library and best case, I can use it in it's intended purpose. (and yes, I have patience, I work on laptops all of the time etc.). I guess that will be the final determination as to whether or not I want to go through with it.:dancingbana: Thanks ya'll

-Will

Tony Hanna
04-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Will, to answer your previous question, on a normal rebuild, the clutches/steels, and band(s) are normally replaced everytime. The hard parts are checked and reused if ok or replaced if they are worn out of tolerance or damaged. Good call on ordering the manual btw. That will tell you better than any of us ever could if it's a project you'd be comfortable with.

DBB mini
05-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Get yourself an ATSG manual. They run about $20.00 usd & they pretty much copied the factory shop manual. In a typical baseline rebuild kit you get new clutch discs, new seals & rings & a gasket kit & O-rings. I think that about covers it. Check out Paul Smith's site on some good basic freshen up info too. Sorry, don't have a link. You'll need a few special tools to do a complete rebuild, if you're just replacing the clutch discs, you can make due with basic tools. I get most of my kits from a local trans supply store, they run about $80.00 total. Remanned stock high stall converters run about $80.00 at the same store.