PDA

View Full Version : WARNING on cast arm polyurethane bushings

Johnny
04-24-2006, 12:33 AM
poly cast a-arm bushing WARNING
I sold (now with a warning) the Moog and Spicer brand front control arm bushings for the 1991-95 FWD mopars.(not made by them, just sold by them. they are made by the same company...remco) I even installed them on my 94 k-frame in my 86 turbo wagon 2 years ago. They DID NOT FIT right. Thought it might just be the 94 a-arms I bought. SO, I bought a 91 and a 92 a-arm to see if these bushings fit these. THEY DO NOT fit. The small one fits fine but the larger one is sloppy in the control arm and will wear out fast, as they did in my wagon. PLEASE give me feedback on your install of these, if you have. MAYBE you didn't even notice and just put them in. I (of course) watched how they fit with a critical eye. I am "thinking" of making these but then, they might not sell because of the "Just get them from Moog".
If you plan on installing these in your cast arms, watch it close!!

Johnny

turbovanmanČ
04-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Do a poll Johhny with an aprox price, I bet you'll get a ton of yes's. It needs to be done.

Would you make them with the sleeve bonded to the material, like the older ones?

inmyshadow
04-24-2006, 01:26 PM
And I was just about to order set. Looks like I'll just throw in a new set of bushing from the dealer.

91DSX
04-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Got a set on my car, my shop who helped me install them didn't say they fit badly or loose but I'm going to tripple check now!!!

What is the best way to check now that they are in there?

turbovanmanČ
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Got a set on my car, my shop who helped me install them didn't say they fit badly or loose but I'm going to tripple check now!!!

What is the best way to check now that they are in there?

Use a prybar between the control arm and K-member. They will move a tad but it shouldn't be so much your like, WTF? Also, it will really start to wander and torque badly, much more so than it ever did. My van would change lanes just by touching the gas, :censored:

Johnny
04-26-2006, 09:56 AM
And I was just about to order set. Looks like I'll just throw in a new set of bushing from the dealer.

By a set from your local parts store, see if they fit. If not, take them back for a refund.

IF you dod do this, let me know.

Johnny

supercrackerbox
04-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Mine came in this morning (the set we discussed in email), and I'm hoping to get them installed Friday or Saturday evening. I'll try to arrange pics as well if possible.

supercrackerbox
05-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, finally got the front end torn apart today for those bushings. Put them in, the fronts (smaller) have a negligible amount of play, and on the rears, one half fits nice and snug, but the other is sloppy as hell. Guess I'll be taking them back. Too bad, for the $50 that these cost, I'd just as soon have spent another $20-$30 for Johnny to make some and know they're right.

So what other options are there besides the Moog/Spicer?

turbovanmanČ
05-07-2006, 01:52 AM
So what other options are there besides the Moog/Spicer?

Stock, thats what I had to put in, :mad:

supercrackerbox
05-07-2006, 10:21 AM
And those are rubber, aren't they? Bummer. I'm not even sure how I'd go about pressing stockers back in there. . . Poly ones are cake being in two halves.

turbovanmanČ
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
And those are rubber, aren't they? Bummer. I'm not even sure how I'd go about pressing stockers back in there. . . Poly ones are cake being in two halves.

Yep rubber. The large ones press in very easily, I have a ball joint press. The little one is a royal PITA until you make a litte adapter. I used some exhaust pipe that was the size of the control arm then expanded it out to act as a funnel. Once I got that part right, they slid right in. Of course, remember to use lots of lube and put the big bushing in the correct way.

mech1nxh
05-07-2006, 09:55 PM
By a set from your local parts store, see if they fit. If not, take them back for a refund.

IF you dod do this, let me know.

Johnny

Thanks for the heads up, looks like that project is on hold for now....

86Shelby
05-19-2006, 09:20 PM
I bought a set this summer for the R/T and they worked fine. Wierd part is I was replacing the blue moog pieces that were installed earlier that spring by the P.O., those went to hell in a handbasket quick. The ones I pruchased were the black remcos from Napa. All of them were a snug fit, light hammer taps snug. I did have to switch them around in various positions to get the snug fit IIRC. Is it possible the holes in A arms are tapered a little, or the bushings themselves? I dunno, mine fit ok, but I'll still be checking them when I work on the car again.

supercrackerbox
05-20-2006, 09:35 AM
And going off that cue, I picked up a set of Napa ones. The casting marks were identical to the Moog ones, the only visible difference was the color. Wierd part is, they fit worse than the Moog pieces, they were even looser.

Thinking I might go pick up a set of stamped arms. :(

86Shelby
05-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, if you get too friendly too quickly with a curb you'll only bend those instead of cracking the cast arms...