PDA

View Full Version : L-body door handle adjustment

cordes
04-23-2006, 09:05 PM
What is the best way to go about this. My omni requires me to pull up very hard on the handles to open the doors, and it is getting old. I tried to fiddle around with them last fall, but to no avail.

supercrackerbox
04-30-2006, 12:23 PM
First you need to inspect the plastic clips that hold all the rods in place. If they are worn, there will be a lot of slack in the rods, requiring you to lift the handle more. Replacement clips can be found in the Help! section at your parts store, or at the dealer. You may want to take note of which ones go where, as there are a few different sizes and orientations.

Also before you take it all apart, take notice of how everything works and which rods do what. With the door panel off, operate the door handle, and see where the slack is in each rod. When you remove that rod, you may see that it is bowed slightly. Light bending will straighten it back out. A little minor trial and error will get everything funtioning smoothly.

Finally, remove the latch mechanism from the door jamb. Clean it thoroughly in a solvent tank or with brake cleaner. Compressed air, if availble, will help blow the crap out of there and speed drying time. Once it is dry, pack it full of white lithium grease, wipe off the excess, and reinstall. Also adjust/replace your door striker as needed. If you need to replace it, get it from the dealer, the Help! ones are junk.

If all done properly, your door should open and close with almost no effort, and you shouldn't break another door handle.

WVRampage
04-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Theres also a small adjusting screw in the end of the door,with the rod off the handle loosen the screw and pull the handle up a little and then tighten the screw and hook the handle back up,every thing will work great.

86Shelby
04-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Do both, what Supercrackerbox and WVRampage suggested. You should be able to open the door with your pinky finger. The adjusting screw can be seen through the small hole near the latch. it's an allen head screw.

cordes
04-30-2006, 06:49 PM
sweet. thanks guys. I will check that out soon.