PDA

View Full Version : question for stranded member.

mark
04-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Hi, I just got a call from a fellow TM member that their car is broken down, it was driving fine then started backfiring/misfiring. now it will not even start. it cranks, and can hear the fuel pump.

Is this the dreaded HEP?

shadow88
04-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Codes, year, set-up? related symptoms? We need a place to start.

mark
04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
got me on those questions.

he called me and didnt run the codes yet. was running fine then backfiring. its a daytona, no clue on the year. Just finished a t1->t2 conversion last week and was running fine till this evening.

ive never had to deal with the infamous HEP problem. Basically. What are the symptoms of a bad HEP?

mark
04-23-2006, 09:43 PM
just got an update. apparently the coil wire has a problem. LOL

glad it was a minor issue.

thanks

turbovanmanČ
04-24-2006, 03:49 AM
ive never had to deal with the infamous HEP problem. Basically. What are the symptoms of a bad HEP?

It will die and won't restart for 1 secs to whenever. Its random and when you try to figure it out, it runs. It will set a code though, most of the time. On a older TD, its always a good bet to put a new one on when you buy the car, and use only OEM Mopar, the aftermarkets are junk, or buy a new one and keep it in the car.

Frank
04-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Did someone's coil wire get cut on the timing belt? ;) hehehehe

Bucar told me.

Frank

bobr19
04-24-2006, 07:50 AM

Bucar told me.

Frank
Been there-:thumb: -Done that--just cut on the backside though--was heck to see and car would bearly run--don't know how it would even start the way it was cut--bobr19

mark
04-24-2006, 08:48 AM

Bucar told me.

Frank

yea, he called me up asking for a huge favor, i was like sure what is it. then kevin asked if I had a coil wire... I was like yeah I have the one from my charger, then hes like can i borrow it for a day, I was like dude, you can keep it. cause my charger isnt leaving the garage cause im waiting for IC piping to be finished. lol

It's all about keeping friend's cars running.

The S is Silent
04-24-2006, 09:01 AM

Bucar told me.

Frank

:) Yup, I think we've all been here. Zip-tie it...or put the timing belt cover back on ;)

CletusJones
04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
:) Yup, I think we've all been here. Zip-tie it...or put the timing belt cover back on ;)
The previous owner actually relocated the coil on my car to the top of the AC compressor bracket to prevent that very occurrence (it has no timing belt cover). It took me forever to figure out what was different.