PDA

View Full Version : Rear Cam Seal Plug-What do you use to seal it?!

89ShelbyGuy
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey guys, i was reading on the dodge garage not to use the regular rtv on that rear cam plug as it acts ike a lubircant...he says to use Permatex Number 1....i was looking at my local auto store and found Permatex Form a Gasket 1A....is this the same stuff?

Has anyone had and luck with other products??

Tom

GLHNSLHT2
05-20-2009, 09:47 AM
I've used a very small amount of rtv before with no issues. Lately though I've been using the anerobic sealer like you use around the snow gaurd and the intermediate shaft retainers on the block. The red stuff that doesn't dry out till there's no air. Works great, doesn't leak.

slasky
05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
You can also use the yellow weatherstrip adhesive as well/

Twisted Noodle
05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I just knocked mine in with a mallet. Hasn't leaked yet. There didn't seem to be any on the old one. There was a rubber seal on the one I put in so it has held pretty tight.

t3rse
05-20-2009, 12:34 PM
tiny bit of rtv...anaerobic sealer does not set until there is NO air and this is not a place to use it...only use it on machined mating surfaces

turbovanmanČ
05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
tiny bit of rtv...anaerobic sealer does not set until there is NO air and this is not a place to use it...only use it on machined mating surfaces

NO RTV, its like grease, Anerobic hardens almost instantly.

ShelGame
05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't use anything...

BadAssPerformance
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't use anything...

+! I dont think you have to use anything?

I typically use a thin film of the Mopar or Permatex black RTV and let it set up for 24 hours... sometimes have to hold it in for the first couple few minutes to make sure it doesnt pop out tho... good idea on the Permatex #1 that may be a quiclker fix.

89ShelbyGuy
05-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Yea, it shouldn't need anything, but its a felpro one...rather would be safe then sorry...SPECIALLY wouldn't wanna put oil on this freshly cleaned and polished engine!!!

Heres a pic of the stuff i am going to use...it accually says for use on brass freeze plugs!

http://www.permatex.com/images/DisplayImage.asp?210|/images/ProductPhotos/80007.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys!

t3rse
05-20-2009, 03:17 PM
NO RTV, its like grease, Anerobic hardens almost instantly.

Don't guess you've ever looked at a fsm? Anaerobic only hardens when there is no air...you do know that "anaerobic" means "without air" right? You can leave the cap off and it will not set ever, until there is no air.

If you use too much and it blocks the oil return hole, the cap will eventually leak, or if you use Anaerobic sealer and it squirts out the back, it will never harden and plug the hole and the same will happen, which is why you don't use anaerobic sealer.

87glhs232
05-20-2009, 04:23 PM
+1 for nothing. I have never had to seal one. Make sure you have the right size cap. I had a friend that learned that one the hard way....

turbovanmanČ
05-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Don't guess you've ever looked at a fsm? Anaerobic only hardens when there is no air...you do know that "anaerobic" means "without air" right? You can leave the cap off and it will not set ever, until there is no air.

If you use too much and it blocks the oil return hole, the cap will eventually leak, or if you use Anaerobic sealer and it squirts out the back, it will never harden and plug the hole and the same will happen, which is why you don't use anaerobic sealer.

Exactly, NO AIR, when you push the seal in, guess what, it hardens, durrrrr. RTV can take hours to days to never to fully cure.

As for blocking oil galleys, there is air in the galleys, the moment you start it, the liquid sealer is dissolved. I've used this method for 15+ years and NEVER had an engine failure or issue with seals popping back out. RTV acts like liquid grease and the seals come flying out, ask any mechanic, my tech didn't listen and used RTV, he worked for free to repair the blown seals.

I use sealer as it makes the seal go in easier, no risk of tearing or messing it up as you bang it in.

rampant150
05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Exactly, NO AIR, when you push the seal in, guess what, it hardens, durrrrr.

:lol:

Twisted Noodle
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Anaerobic only hardens when there is no air...you do know that "anaerobic" means "without air" right? You can leave the cap off and it will not set ever, until there is no air.

I'm not familiar with Anaerobic sealer so this is a question that pops in my head.. What happens when you put the cap on? ..lol

I use sealer as it makes the seal go in easier, no risk of tearing or messing it up as you bang it in.

I usually just spit on it..:eyebrows:

87glhs232
05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not familiar with Anaerobic sealer so this is a question that pops in my head.. What happens when you put the cap on? ..lol

Air is trapped in the tube and does not allow it to cure.

puppet
05-20-2009, 10:36 PM
I put them in dry.

Juggy
05-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Yea, it shouldn't need anything, but its a felpro one...rather would be safe then sorry...SPECIALLY wouldn't wanna put oil on this freshly cleaned and polished engine!!!

Heres a pic of the stuff i am going to use...it accually says for use on brass freeze plugs!

http://www.permatex.com/images/DisplayImage.asp?210|/images/ProductPhotos/80007.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys!

i wouldnt recommend that stuff. its brown, and it gets REAL hard when dried. it works but i prefer the black or copper RTV.

or the red anerboric sealer however the F u spell it LOL

supercrackerbox
05-22-2009, 02:09 AM
I've always used the Felpro plugs with a thin bead of Anerobic. I've never had a leak or failure.

In fact, my thermostat gasket is the only place I used RTV on my entire engine.

t3rse
05-22-2009, 04:00 AM
Exactly, NO AIR, when you push the seal in, guess what, it hardens, durrrrr. RTV can take hours to days to never to fully cure.

As for blocking oil galleys, there is air in the galleys, the moment you start it, the liquid sealer is dissolved. I've used this method for 15+ years and NEVER had an engine failure or issue with seals popping back out. RTV acts like liquid grease and the seals come flying out, ask any mechanic, my tech didn't listen and used RTV, he worked for free to repair the blown seals.

You've also destroyed more stuff than anyone I've ever met...btw, Mopar Rtv dries pretty damn quick compared to the cheap permatex crap...and guess what, I've never thrown a seal either. I would assume in your infinite wisdom that you know to let RTV set before installing.

supercracker...I'll bet you aren't using anaerobic on your oil pan...how about the trans end plate? (ok fair enough...not exactly part of the motor)

CSXT802
05-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Don't slam it in there dry. Use a little spit, works every time................:faint:

BadAssPerformance
05-22-2009, 08:15 AM
^^^ lol...