PDA

View Full Version : ideas on cooling

1BADVAN
05-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I have a 2.5L minivan and I am having trouble keeping it cool. Any ideas on radiator upgrades or other ideas? Thanks

GLHNSLHT2
05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
all the factory shrouding and splash gaurds in place?

bakes
05-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Is you heater core plug it wil give you weird over heating problems too.

turbovanmanČ
05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I have a 2.5L minivan and I am having trouble keeping it cool. Any ideas on radiator upgrades or other ideas? Thanks

Define not keeping cool?

Rad upgrades are hard to do without a custom rad, and it also depends on how you have your IC setup.

An oil cooler will help and its cheaper than a new rad.

+2 on a blocked or internally coated with gunk heater core, they run hotter and more inconsistant.

A.J.
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I agree with Simon about your definition about "keeping it cool." If your not reading the coolant temp sensor with a scan tool or a mechanical gauge your being mislead. My mechanical gauge and coolant temp sensor disagree about 5 degrees. It's too close to care who is more accurate.

If you need a mod to run cooler I'd say oil cooler. Mine cooled off my engine about 20 degrees here in the valley of the sun.

A.J.

Mario
05-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Flush the system

WaterWetter by Redline

Use the least amount of antifreeze possible when making your mix, dependent upon the coldest temps the car sees.

Oil cooler isn't a bad idea, I'd make sure you have a Oil Temp and Pressure gauge though after installing one.

Higher flowing / more efficient fan(s)

Also, if you are running an underdrive pulley, ditch it.

Toss in a new thermostat. I'd stick with a 195 unless you have revised fan schedules to take advantage of a 180 degree stat. Also, drill a small hole in the top of it and when installing make sure the whole is on top.

I'd try all of those before I'd try an aluminum radiator or a thicker one.

turbovanmanČ
05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Flush the system

WaterWetter by Redline

Use the least amount of antifreeze possible when making your mix, dependent upon the coldest temps the car sees.

Oil cooler isn't a bad idea, I'd make sure you have a Oil Temp and Pressure gauge though after installing one.

Higher flowing / more efficient fan(s)

Also, if you are running an underdrive pulley, ditch it.

Toss in a new thermostat. I'd stick with a 195 unless you have revised fan schedules to take advantage of a 180 degree stat. Also, drill a small hole in the top of it and when installing make sure the whole is on top.

I'd try all of those before I'd try an aluminum radiator or a thicker one.

Agreed on everything but the 195 stat and UD pulley. The 180 stat is almost a necessity with TD's, even with a stock cal, they run so much cooler.

I've tried the UD pulley back to back with no difference in coolant temps noticed. :thumb: