PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 or 3" Exhaust on the mini

Mr overkill
05-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Ok so i have another project (shhhh to the wife)

I have a 3" sw 3" dp NO cat and a Full 3" exhaust with a mangaflow muffler On the daytona Which i loke the noise BUT!!!!!! if i do the same thing on the mini WITH a cat will that cut down on the droneing inside the van or should i just go with a 2.5 Full exhaust And will it be enough for 15-20 psi of boost

A.J.
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I have a TU 3" S.V., 3" D.P., Magnaflow muffler, and 3" all the way back and no cat. I got use to the drone. I would say from experience (on other vehicles) that putting a cat on will reduce the drone some. I have to put a cat on my van in November to pass emissions. If you can wait until then I can give you first hand before and after reviews.

A.J.

Mr overkill
05-19-2009, 06:13 AM
lol i have the same combo in my daytona just trying to see if i should just stay with 2.5 since this is gonna be my dd car i mean van

Mr overkill
05-19-2009, 07:03 AM
i was even thinking of using a flowmaster 50 series muffler that should quiet it doen more then the manga flow

RoadWarrior222
05-19-2009, 08:54 AM
I'd go for 2.5 unless you're wanting to make more than about 250HP, will help keep velocity reasonable at lower revs for more pickup out of boost. (i.e. keeps city driving more bearable in the under 2500 rpm range)

Mr overkill
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Im leaning with a 3" install a cat and that should make it quiter then the daytona

I have the magnaflow on the daytona WITHOUT a cat and it had a lot of drone (i like it)

Anyone have experience with the dynomax ultraflows how do they sound Less drone????

Juggy
05-20-2009, 05:40 PM
im runnin the SS 3" ultraflow....ive also ran previous ultraflows on other cars. i really like the sound of them on my turbo mopars...hence why i purchased a 2nd one.

my car is drony because ive removed alot of padding and such from the car, L bodies are typically tin cans on wheels...i mean tin boxes lmao

Pat
05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
3" with an ultraflow on a GLHS, a Spirit and on a Shadow...they all droned like crazy. For a race car/toy, it's fine but for a car that gets driven, I wouldn't like it at all.

I think 2.5" is fine for 90% of the street cars out there and a hell of a lot quieter. If you're running a mistu, I don't think the 3" will be any better than the 2.5. If you're running a T-II Garrettt, I still think that with a .48 housing is a bigger issue than a 2.5" exhaust.

iTurbo
05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
How about a cutout? Keep the 3" S/V and downpipe, and stockish cat back system. That's what I'm planning on doing to my CSX.

Mr overkill
05-21-2009, 12:07 AM
GRRRRRRRRR thats not the question the question is what muffler helps control droning

iTurbo
05-21-2009, 09:13 AM
How about a stock muffler? Those work pretty good for that:D

Pat
05-21-2009, 10:22 AM
GRRRRRRRRR thats not the question the question is what muffler helps control droning

I thought you wanted opinions on 2.5 or 3 for the mini....as the thread title implies. Or maybe I misread! :p

Ultraflo with a 3" system drones. No way around it. I've had that set up on three different cars and it drones. If you don't want drone, don't use that set up.

What doesn't drone? A my 2.5" with a Magnaflow doesn't drone. Super turbos don't seem to drone either.

turbovanmanČ
05-21-2009, 01:20 PM
I've tried every combo on the planet, the killer is the 3 speed, it puts the engine into RPM drone zone on the highway, :(

Flowmasters are the worst for droning so stay away from them on a van.

Large body cats will reduce the drone alot, I've done back to back and if your not looking for all out power, then run a large body Walker cat, STAY away from Magnaflow large cats, they don't last.

With my old 8 valve setup and TIII turbo, I tried a 3 inch setup with a rear Magnaflow, drone city, so I put another large body Magnaflow up front, better but still droned, so I put a large body cat in, quiet but boy did it choke up the engine.

My current setup is a full 3 inch system, small hi-flow cat, Hooker Max flow muffler at the stock location, then a Magnaflow at the back, side exit tailpipe. This setup is very liveable. I had the setup without the Magnaflow and it was deafening. If I get the energy, I am going to remove the Maxflow and put a Walker Ultraflo into its place, that should help finish off the rest of the drone. :thumb:

Van's need a muffler and large cat, or muffler and muffler/resonator and large cat due to the length of the piping and the interior acts like an amplifier.

Turn down's are friggin loud as are rear exit. The side exit like stock is the quietest.

Mr overkill
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
ok then that should awnser that looks like i should go with a 2.5 full exhaust with a cat and a mangaflow

turbovanmanČ
05-21-2009, 03:26 PM
ok then that should awnser that looks like i should go with a 2.5 full exhaust with a cat and a mangaflow

I would personally go with an Ultraflo.

turbo84voyager
05-22-2009, 12:01 AM
My 84 turbo mini has no cat and no muffler and 2 1/2 inch pipe with splits into dual exhaust where the muffler would be. The van does not drone and it sounds like a diesel. My 89 turbo mini has the same setup except it has a 1 into 2 2 1/2" xlerator ( identical to ultraflow dynamax). It drones a lot. Now the 84 is a stick and the 89 auto but it is night and day inside. My 91 shadow turbo has full 3" including swingvalve and a 3" ultraflow style muffler all the way in the back and no cat. It isnt loud and no drown. This car is an auto as well.

If you know a good pipe bender have them bend up dual's for it. It is quite simple and my friend who did my 84 years ago and then my 89 learned the drivers side is the stock passenger side with the bends reversed. My 84 have exits on both sides behind the wheel like stock, my 89 exits straight out the back with 3" chrome tips. There was a 2nd gen van in town years ago that had them exit on an angle on both sides basically below the tail lights.

turbovanmanČ
05-22-2009, 12:25 AM
It drones a lot. Now the 84 is a stick and the 89 auto but it is night and day inside.

That is the difference, :(

crazymadbastard
05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
You have to live true to your handle and go for a 4". Go 3 inch with a nice muffler, you can always add a dump too.

Mr overkill
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
dont temp me crazy LOL

Juggy
05-23-2009, 08:30 PM
You have to live true to your handle and go for a 4". Go 3 inch with a nice muffler, you can always add a dump too.

i think he needs to passs that username onto someone else willing to own up to it :amen:

Chad T
05-24-2009, 11:27 AM
I have a 3" swingvalve and exhaust on the Omni and it's fairly quiet with no droning. Probably different than a van but I used the biggest straight through Magnaflow muffler i could fit along with a magnaflow high flow cat.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2/d/84806-1/exhaust6.JPG

I forget the exact part number but it's a 5X8X18 core and it's offset so the perforated tube is angled where it passes through the muffler. I figured this might help it absorb more sound and it helped with the fitment.

At idle and light cruise it's almost quieter than the stock system but it's loud at WOT and does a lot of popping on decel which might be annoying with an auto trans. It's very muffled though. I would think you could fit a really big muffler under a van? Maybe 2 mufflers or a muffler/resonator combo?

Mr overkill
05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
never !!!!

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
never !!!!

NEVER what? :confused: