PDA

View Full Version : Split back rear seat (P-body)

135sohc
05-17-2009, 12:21 AM
What years were those offered ? all model years or only during the early/mid production run ? how do they differ from a standard seatback in how they mount ? is the base bracket the only difference or is welding required to add in something ?

asking all these questions becasue I'd really like to get a split back rear seat for the utility value. and would like to know how to best go about getting & installing one. anything to lookout for or issues to be aware of. Thanks

jl93sundance
05-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I know 89 es's had them, might have to swap whole interior to match though. I think you just need the whole rear assy., no welding required *99% sure*

Dodge Aries K
05-17-2009, 02:50 AM
The split seat was standard up until I believe 1990 or 1991. They offered it on high level interior only after that.

Dusty_Duster
05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
My '93 Duster has the high-level interior, but the back seat does not split.

Dodge Aries K
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
If it doesn't have the seats with the red striping on them, it's not the highest level interior.

Turbodave
05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure on the availability by year, but my 89 Competition Package Shadow had the base interior and a single fold rear seat. I installed an ES interior and added the split rear folding seat.

The center bracket on the split seat is welded to the floorpan of the car, to properly convert it would be best to cut this bracket off and transfer it over. I used an extra side bracket that I modified on my car and it is screwed to the floor between the seats. It works but isn't an ideal setup, I wouldn't trust it in a collision or if I had any kids in the back ever. Since it's rare for anyone to ride in the back of my car I haven't worried about it.

DC Turismo
05-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Personally, they're a PIA to install and remove dealing with that center bracket that's welded to the floor. You get a sharp enough chisel though and you wouldn't have to cut it out. If I were you, I'd just leave it as the single flip down since you would also have to change the interior sail panels. Those that have the single flip down seat also have the small attachments on the sides positioned in the interior sail panel trimming. You'd basically be needing to convert both of those pieces and removing/measuring/welding that bracket into place all to be able to do what, plop one side of the seat down rather than the whole thing? lol....

Just giving my $.02! :D I love the single rather than the split, they should've made them all that way. The 89 CSX's came with teh split, and IIRC the other CSXs in 87 and 88 did too.

135sohc
05-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Ok then. I'll can that idea permanently and move onto the next thing.

JDAWG
05-19-2009, 11:54 PM
my 88 had one