PDA

View Full Version : Pt Cruiser front lower control arm bushings bad??

Clay
05-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Ive noticed a knock or clunk in the front passenger side of my wifes 03 PT Cruiser GT on occasion. Its only when you are going forward, and hit a very soft/shallow bump. On the rebound side, when the front suspension comes unloaded for a second, you get a small knock.

last night I put the PT up on a lift at a friends house and the only thing I really saw was the rear rubber bushings on the lower control arms on both sides were ripped a bit.

Im wondering if this could cause the issue? and if its a common problem? Also, are poly bushings a good replacement for this?

thanks,
clay

SoCalCSX
05-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Im wondering if this could cause the issue? and if its a common problem? Also, are poly bushings a good replacement for this?

thanks,
clay

Yes, yes, and yes. Mine does the same thing, I've just been putting it off until I have another reason to work on the suspension/brakes. It's almost time for new brakes so I should be doing this soon.

rich tideswell
05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes, this is a problem on the SRT-4's/ Neon's as well (same bushing). the rubber didn't bond to the metal sleeve and seperates causing torque steer and a noise. Most dealers will cover this under warrenty (assuming the vehicle is still under warrenty). Mopar does sell the verticle bushing seperate or you can go aftermarket

Lower Control Arm Bushing - Front Horizontal:
Moog K7472

Lower Control Arm Bushing - Front Verticle:
Moog K7471
NAPA NCP2673665
SPICER 5651299
AC Delco 45G9299

contraption22
05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I put the Prothane front control arm bushings on my SRT-4 and really like them. Not too hard of a job either. Had to burn out the old bushings tho.

SoCalCSX
05-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I put the Prothane front control arm bushings on my SRT-4 and really like them. Not too hard of a job either. Had to burn out the old bushings tho.

Yeah I was gonna ask about that. I want to do mine this weekend or next when I do the brakes and didn't want to have to take the arms somewhere and get pressed out.

contraption22
05-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah I was gonna ask about that. I want to do mine this weekend or next when I do the brakes and didn't want to have to take the arms somewhere and get pressed out.

Yeah I burned them out with a hand-held MAPP gas torch and then cleaned up the bores with a wire wheel. Whatever they coat those control arms with is some good stuff! Barely even discolored it.

A tip tho... get yourself some extra grease. The little tube it comes with is barely enough. I like Green Grease, which is a name brand of a quality synthetic grease.