PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk rods.

Mike_Shepard
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Over the weekend I toasted a set of Wiseco's, Needed gas going on a cruise thought it would be wise to use 89 octane since I didnt plan on any spirited driving, EHHHHH on the way home I played with a Saleen Mustang and was kicking arse till I noticed smoke in the rear view, Blew a headgasket ok no biggie I pull the head and all 4 cylinders are mared up and the top edges of the pistons are chewed up as well.

So now im looking to rebuild a block that is currently at the shop being worked on. I'd like to use the rods that are in my junk block but I think that if im going threw all this extra work why not (it's only money right) so Im looking for a good rod under 500 to go good with another set of wiseco's.

So give me your thoughts and help a guy out

bradp
05-13-2009, 04:32 PM
huh Huh huh he said "RODS"

1984rampage
05-13-2009, 04:40 PM
What are your power goals? Im pretty sure the stock rods are good to over 300hp

cordes
05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
huh Huh huh he said "RODS"

I was thinking the same thing.

Regarding the actual content of the post though, I don't see much of a reason to go with anything more than well preped TII rods unless you are planning on 400+HP. I don't know if he is still using them, but didn't Reeves use TII rods very reliably over 400HP for the longest time? I believe others have too.

Mike_Shepard
05-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks the ones I have are the oil cooled T-2's with the ARP rod bolts. I imagine they are still good I'll find out once I pull them. As for power goals I am close to the 300 that I origanally hoped for I think but never got it dynoed. I guess this is all alittle early as I dont know the condition of the current rods but I wanted alittle more insight

85daytona
05-13-2009, 05:26 PM
You just made a mistake running the regular. I'd save the $$$ stick with TII rods who cares what shape those are in just grab some more if you need them. Save your $500 for a custom plenum or something cooler :thumb:

Mario
05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Is this daily driven?

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I would either go Eagles or TU's K1 rods. They are lighter than stock and will take anything you can throw at it. By the time you got stock rods redone and ARP's installed, your most of the way there.

BTW, get your engine balanced, you'll thank me later, :thumb:

rx2mazda
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
under 500hp, TII rods FTW! Don't waste your money on expensive rods that you don't need. I'm putting down >400hp @ 30psi on stock TIII rods with over 180K on them. Others have put down >500whp on stock rods.

my .02$

Mike_Shepard
05-13-2009, 10:15 PM
You just made a mistake running the regular. I'd save the $$$ stick with TII rods who cares what shape those are in just grab some more if you need them. Save your $500 for a custom plenum or something cooler :thumb:
And one I wish I didnt do but at the same time I didnt think I'd be playing around.

Is this daily driven?
Yes and no. I want it to be reliable enough to go out and drive when ever I want BUT I also like being able to go beat on it alittle then park it and sometimes cruise

I would either go Eagles or TU's K1 rods. They are lighter than stock and will take anything you can throw at it. By the time you got stock rods redone and ARP's installed, your most of the way there.

BTW, get your engine balanced, you'll thank me later, :thumb:

Yeah Adam has taken the crank to the machine shop to have them cut it for the block, Im pulling the rods this weekend and taking a peek at them, Im thinking they should be okay

WickedShelby88
05-15-2009, 02:31 AM
I remember seeing Titanium rods advertise from MP or Shelby Performance in a hot rod mag from back in the day when I was a kid. It was kinda cool to see the FWD stuff represented even though it was in the back with the other advertisers. Does anyone know anything about these? If you go with an FM build you can get them for 1100 dollars :wow1: Their the same as 360 rods right?
Here is a good article though about all automotive connecting rods.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/82378/

turbovanmanČ
05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
They are not the same as 318/360.

WickedShelby88
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah I guess they aren't the same. I looked up the specs. I heard that said somewhere. Must of been BS info. Not even long enough for a tall deck build.

turbovanmanČ
05-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Okay well I thought they were the same length and journal size. Hmm. For those of you running ticking time bomb aluminum rod engines I found the above article rather interesting. A tenth the service life of steel in a racing environment. Hmm....

V8 rods are offset due to sharing the same crankpin.

Yeah, aluminium don't last as long BUT technology has come along way. A few guys on here are using them, :thumb:

WickedShelby88
05-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Their plenty good for the street. Only time will tell how they hold up in a street/strip scenario. I would probably go with a good forged set. I don't see a machined forged set being worth the extra dinero in one of our engines due to the fact that the block or crank would probably give up before these would. What kind of rods are you running Simon?

turbovanmanČ
05-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Their plenty good for the street. Only time will tell how they hold up in a street/strip scenario. I would probably go with a good forged set. I don't see a machined forged set being worth the extra dinero in one of our engines due to the fact that the block or crank would probably give up before these would. What kind of rods are you running Simon?

Some of the high HP guys, IE Reeves switched to aluminium this year, :eyebrows:

I ran deburred and balanced stockers with ARP's for years until my motor let go bending one, so I found a deal on a set of Eagles for an SRT and am now running those. The 2.5 likes them, seems to rev up alot faster which makes sense as they are alot lighter than stockers, :thumb:

tryingbe
05-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Save that $2 and blow the engine.