PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 Computer may be bad, how to fight chrysler to warranty it?

tommyturbo
05-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Got a stage one kit at the end of last year and installed it right around new years. It's on an 03 pt gt. Just recently the car has acted up, with little quirks ever since the kit was installed. Right now it's dropping #4 cylinder, but not setting any codes for missfires, and when probing the injector it's pulsing it erratically like mad, but not when it should. Car runs like crap.
I've got the factory computer and we are going to try putting it back in tonight or tomorrow to see what happens.

If it's the computer, how do I get chrysler to warranty it and get me another stage 1 computer? I remember reading someplace that they would not warranty them. But it was an expensive kit, and I think that for the money I dropped I am entitled to something. Does anyone have an idea how to get them to cover it? I have never had any luck with any chrysler dealer in my life, they are like dealing with an insurance company, they deney everything and always have an excuse.

Captain Chaos
05-13-2009, 05:08 PM
MP parts are sold as is, no warranty. You may be able to send it back to Flight Systems for repairs, but that would be about it. Unless FS wants to warranty it.

tommyturbo
05-13-2009, 05:19 PM
do you hvae any contact info for flight systems?

SoCalCSX
05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

Hello,
My name is Stephanie and I am from Flight Systems, the company that supplies you with your turbo kits. If you have bought a used PCM and need your VIN number reflashed into it you can send your PCM to me and I can reflash it for you. As you should know, if you do not do this and try to install the PCM in your vehicle without changing the VIN, your vehicle will not start. The charge for this will be $25 plus s&h. I can either ship it back to you overnight air which is quite expensive or ground which will only cost $4-5 more on top of the $25. The cost for everything will come COD on delivery. The address you will need to send it to is:

Flight Systems
1040 East Maple Road
Troy, MI 48083
Attn: Stephanie/Reprogram

Please make sure to put inside the box your VIN number, address to send it back to, a telephone number I can reach you at in case of any problems, and how you would like it sent back to you. Please make sure the PCM is packaged properly because any damage that happens on delivery to me is not my responsibility. Let me know when you are sending it out to me so I know when it should arrive. If there is anything else you need to know you can either pm me or give me a call at (248)577-2800 Ex.21. The turnaround time for this is usually only a couple days if not that same day I receive it. Have a great day!!

Stephanie
Flight Systems

tommyturbo
05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I'll try her. I think that charging $500 for a kit, and then washing your hands of it, forcing people to spend more $ to have something reflashed after only 5 months in a car is bs, but thanks for the link. Don't take my venting personanlly.

SoCalCSX
05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I'll try her. I think that charging $500 for a kit, and then washing your hands of it, forcing people to spend more $ to have something reflashed after only 5 months in a car is bs, but thanks for the link. Don't take my venting personanlly.

No worries, I'd feel the same way.

glhs727
05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Going to flight systems is to reflash your VIN, not to fix a broken pcm. I would call first and ask if they can test your pcm and make sure there is an issue with it
The stage 1 is a mopar performance piece and Mopar Performance does not warranty anything, especially electronics. So if it is fubared, you will need to get another one.
later,
Cindy

tommyturbo
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok, thanks for the thought. When I get ahold of Stephanie I'll ask her to test it first. I'm just really mad that a part that cost $500 would go bad after 5 months, and that they just basically bend you over at the dealer. By the way loving the computer in my shelby z you did. So when are you going to expand and do the pt and srt computers, hint hint.

tommyturbo
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
So tried swapping the factory computer back in, still dropping the #4 injector. Will look at the timing belt, might have jumped, but what would cause this?

butchsuppe
05-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Might want to check your grounds, doesn't take much resistence to play hell with the electronics.

Turbozcs2003
05-15-2009, 09:07 AM
So tried swapping the factory computer back in, still dropping the #4 injector. Will look at the timing belt, might have jumped, but what would cause this?

THe 03 kits came with computer and injectors(they flow more than the stock ones) and intake gasket.

First why dont you contact the vendor you bought the kit from?? They should stand behind it.

Second maybe you have a bad injector? Did you put the stock injectors back in with the factory stage 0 computer??

I have an 03 Gt stick and put the stg 1 in yers back, never had a problem

How old are your plugs and wires?? How do you know the issue is #4 inject, some code???

tommyturbo
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I know that it came with the injectors and gasket, we installed the stuff together in jan. My buddy has a scanner that can do all sorts of stuff, and it can turn on and off injectors one at a time. It was narrowed down to being the #4 by process of elimination. Whats odd is this just stopped working like a flip of a switch. Got the kit from my local chrysler / dodge dealer. they are notorious for denying every problem or claim I have ever tried to make. Plus mopar performance parts (stage 1 kit) has a no warranty from dodge....so unless flight systems will waranty it. But since I tried swapping the factory computer back in and same results, I'm leaning to a bad injector, timing belt jumped,electrical issue, etc.

rich tideswell
05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
have you swapped injector number 4 to a different cylender to see if the problem changes cylenders?

glhs0426
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
have you swapped injector number 4 to a different cylender to see if the problem changes cylenders?

Since the issue started after the Stage 1 was installed, something else may have been disturbed during the installation.

While you are swapping the #4 injector to a different cylinder (suggest #2 or #3) swap the plug to another cylinder and the spark plug wire to #1. Some 2003 2.4L Turbo vehicles had a straight coil boot on the #4 wire. This wire was subject to break down, cause a misfire, and not set a misfire code. The SRT4 had a service bulletin, the GT did not, go figure.

So.....
-swap #4 wire to #1
-swap #4 injector to #2 or #3
-swap #4 spark plug to #2 or #3...not the cylinder the swapped injector was installed into.

WickedShelby88
05-19-2009, 11:57 AM
A little off the topic here, but can't you just get your stock PCM reflashed with stage 1 programming.. I would think that is what they would do to begin with. I guess they don't do it that way so they can charge you more and so you can put it back to stock in the event of a warranty claim.. I think glhs0426 hit the nail on the head.

SoCalCSX
05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
A little off the topic here, but can't you just get your stock PCM reflashed with stage 1 programming.. I would think that is what they would do to begin with. I guess they don't do it that way so they can charge you more and so you can put it back to stock in the event of a warranty claim.. I think glhs0426 hit the nail on the head.

No, you have to buy the kit. He's got 03 autostick(I think) like me, the absolute worst year for upgrading to Stage 1. If he had a 5spd I would say F the Stage 1 and get a DiabloSport Predator with the Stage 1 injectors and your good to go, but with an autostick you need the Stage 1 to get the upgraded trans brain stuff that the DSP doesn't offer yet.

tommyturbo
05-19-2009, 01:57 PM
It looks like the belt may have jumped. Injectors and plugs/wires don't seem to be the issue. My friend with the scanner worked on another pt, and when it runs it communicates that the cam and crank sensor are syncronised. Mine has signal but they are not syncronised for some reason (ie belt jumping) And to pull the timing belt cover on the pt is a pain I understand.

I sure hope that it's only the belt.

tommyturbo
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
not the belt, belt is tight and timing is correct. Checking the crank sensor now.

tommyturbo
07-21-2009, 03:14 PM
turned out that despite pulsing properly #4 injector is bad, with only 5k on it. So it was firing, but not spraying for what ever reason, and no mopar would not warranty it.