PDA

View Full Version : flooding with super 60 injectors when trying to start

shadowdude
04-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Here is the deal ,i changed the lifters,then had to retime the car (1991 2.5 turbo shadow),turned crank to TDC at zero on the torque convertor,piston TDC ,turned rotor to # 1 plug on cap,then lined cam up with oval hole pointing up and both arrows pointing to the cam caps seams. Then the next step,put the super 60 injectors in ,with the AFPR set as low as it would possibly go (set it up with the stock injectors before hand turned it all the way out and it will only drop to 27 psi at the most ) plumbed the RRR ,from vortech, in the return line after the AFPR. Then tried to start the car and it is not starting ,took out the #1 plug and it is soaked.now i havent put a vacum line from the intake to the RRR yet .why is it flooding the crap out of the plugs?? do you have to run a vacum source to the RRR just to start the car ?? i cant turn the AFPR out/down any more ,it is as low as it will go .surly 27 psi isn,t enough with those super 60,s to flood out the car is it? It is the stock SBEC.what in the ^$#^$# is going on :banghead:

GLHSKEN
04-23-2006, 05:31 PM
It should start at 27psi. It will be rich, but should start. I would hook the vacuum to the RRg reg then give it a try.

Sounds like you timed it right. Everything checked.

Dietro
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Ran one at 27psi for a couple years....started every day...till the pump crapped out on me. ;)

shadowdude
04-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey thanks for the reply guys,it was the timing,I just went back and re did the time to exact detail and it then started(strange i swore it was right the first time...oh well it is running),but....yea always a but,you are very right Ken ,it is rich,i took the adjusting screw right out of the AFPR and it will start but i have to help it a bit when it starts with the throttle ,it then clears up and runs not to bad,has just a bit of roughness to it,still have to fine tune the time with the gun..Now ,how do i tune this thing?? with the amount of fuel right now she is going to be running rich right through to wot right? the 4 to 1 RRR i got in line with it will increase the fuel pressure ,but i wanted to try to tune it to a good A/F ratio with the wide band i am going to put on it.:confused:

GLHSKEN
04-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Tune it slowly without the RRG reg. 4:1 is a LOT of fuel. What turbo you running now and what I/c?? I was able to make about 300whp at a base of 28psi on a 2.2L and +40's with no issues..

Go up 1-2 psi boost at a time and watch it.

GLHSKEN
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
BTW, the computer will learn and adjust the injector pulse width down.

shadowdude
04-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Tune it slowly without the RRG reg. 4:1 is a LOT of fuel. What turbo you running now and what I/c?? I was able to make about 300whp at a base of 28psi on a 2.2L and +40's with no issues..

Go up 1-2 psi boost at a time and watch it.The computer will learn ,huh didn,t know that,heard about it but didn,t think it did it,learn somthing new every day.I am running the TII 1989 garett turbo.have ALOT of mods to the engine ,3"exhuast complete and other stuff.the I/C is a large unit from a newer school bus,the core it self is 24" long ,3" thick and 10" high.was aiming for 20 to 22 psi of boost .wanted to see at least 275 wheel HP.

cordes
04-23-2006, 08:42 PM

Go up 1-2 psi boost at a time and watch it.

Yeah, unless you can udjust the RRG regulator, that will kill you. 4:1 will max out the pressure the pump can deliver at less than 15PSI in all liklyhood. I agree with ken to bump it up slowly sans RRG reg. I go pretty fast in my omni with kens formula above.

shadowdude
04-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah, unless you can udjust the RRG regulator, that will kill you. 4:1 will max out the pressure the pump can deliver at less than 15PSI in all liklyhood. I agree with ken to bump it up slowly sans RRG reg. I go pretty fast in my omni with kens formula above.the walbro 255lph pump will max out @ 15psi ??? :confused:

cordes
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
the walbro 255lph pump will max out @ 15psi ??? :confused:

Sorry, I meant 15 PSI of boost. The pump can dliver about 80-90 PSI of fuel pressure from what I have read. 27PSI static pressure + 60PSI for the RRG reg. at 15PSI of boost and you are at 87PSI of fuel pressure.

shadowdude
04-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Sorry, I meant 15 PSI of boost. The pump can dliver about 80-90 PSI of fuel pressure from what I have read. 27PSI static pressure + 60PSI for the RRG reg. at 15PSI of boost and you are at 87PSI of fuel pressure.ok thats what i thought you meant, i guess i am wondering if the pump will support the 20psi to 22 psi i want run??

cordes
04-23-2006, 09:19 PM
ok thats what i thought you meant, i guess i am wondering if the pump will support the 20psi to 22 psi i want run??

HP wise the 255 will flow enough fuel for about any 8v car. However, you have to do it at a reasonable PSI. I ran 22PSI on my shadow all summer a year or two ago, and the pump worked out fine.

If your RRR is adjustable, or if you had one that was it would be a lot easier. Altough for the price of a new reg, you could have a socketed LM/SMEC/SBEC, and a chip burnt for your setup.

shadowdude
04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
thats the target for me , 22psi,dont imagen the 89 TII garett will do much for me after that but spin like crazy.I will just add the boost (carefully) like you and Ken siad and watch the wide band and see what i can get for exceptable readings once i get up to 22psi.with the walbro ,AFPR and the vortec RRR ,and the 22psi whats a "good" reading to shoot for.with the best i can get with the set up

cordes
04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
thats the target for me , 22psi,dont imagen the 89 TII garett will do much for me after that but spin like crazy.I will just add the boost (carefully) like you and Ken siad and watch the wide band and see what i can get for exceptable readings once i get up to 22psi.with the walbro ,AFPR and the vortec RRR ,and the 22psi whats a "good" reading to shoot for.with the best i can get with the set up

A lot of guys like to play it safe an keep the AFR at 11.6:1. Others like to push it and run about 12.6:1. I will definatly be leaning toward the former for my omni.

shadowdude
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Good stuff,thats what i will tune for ,i am just thinking though that those injectors may be to big ,i only want a max of 275 to 280 wheel HP.I think it is going to be to much fuel .