PDA

View Full Version : Timming sprockets

Muertoloco
05-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I have this rebuilt engine and I was checking the timming on it before I start to put it in my car. When the engine is at TDC the cam and crank sprockets are where they need to be. The intermediate shaft sprocket is off. I was told I can undo the belt and turn the sprocket to where I need it (with the pump gear parallel with the crank). Turn the engine 2 times check timming again. I just wanted a second opinon on this since i'm not sure if this would affect any of the other functions of the intermediate shaft(I've heard people refers to it as a balance shaft).

turbovanmanČ
05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
The intermediate shaft has no correlation to the balance shafts.

The simplest way is remove #1 plug, crank until it puff's, then line up TDC thru the flywheel mark at the transmission. Remove the dist assembly, 13mm bolt. Now the cam gear should be straight up, IE the little hole should be at in the middle of the valve cover-sometimes its easier to draw a line using a paint pen. Now look down the hole where the dist was, the slot should be parallel or facing 9 and 3 o'clock, if not, then you can carefully slide off the cam gear-zip tie the belt to the gear if the cam tiiming is correct, lower the gear down, use the dist or a screwdriver and rotate the oil pump drive so its facing correctly, put the cam gear back on, turn over and recheck.

2.216VTurbo
05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I have this rebuilt engine and I was checking the timming on it before I start to put it in my car. When the engine is at TDC the cam and crank sprockets are where they need to be. The intermediate shaft sprocket is off. I was told I can undo the belt and turn the sprocket to where I need it (with the pump gear parallel with the crank). Turn the engine 2 times check timming again. I just wanted a second opinon on this since i'm not sure if this would affect any of the other functions of the intermediate shaft(I've heard people refers to it as a balance shaft).

What you heard was correct, the intermediate shaft doesn't 'care' how it lines up but it does need to drive the distributor drive and obviously that has to be timed:)