PDA

View Full Version : for those with blown turbos...take the bottom end bearings out as well?

Aries_Turbo
04-23-2006, 01:09 AM
I have a buddy with a turbo sunbird using one of our T3's with a TU 3" SV as well that the turbo popped from a restrictive drain (submerged under the oil level... oh well, we all make mistakes) and a bunch of guys are saying "Rebuild the motor, we have too much money so we expect you to as well!!!" lol.

my question is, for those whove had a turbo go bad, did it wreck the rest of the motor from the debris of the turbo going bad?

I know that you want to keep the oil clean for the new turbo that goes on but thats not the point of this poll. :)

I dont think it happens often or at all but I want some real concrete evidence. Thanks

Brian

mech1nxh
04-23-2006, 01:31 AM
on a build I did I lost two turbos before I figured out the cartridge
does not need eng oil press....yeah I know moron mistake....oh well
anyhow to the point....two complete teardowns later, no rotating
component damage, no bearing damage, some oil pump "witness"
mark debris intrusion,
so.....replaced pump (probably would have been ok, but I am a perfectionist)
and ran the car ..no issues
I did however replace the drain tubes and changed the oil 2 times in 500 miles
but a complete rebuild.....nope!!!!

inmyshadow
04-23-2006, 03:37 AM
I had a turbo failure last fall. Turbo shaft snapped in half when I was pulling 20lbs of boost.

I quickly went to netural and shutdown the motor. At the time, I didn't know exactly what went. So I had the car towed home. I maybe ran the motor for a few minutes to find out what happened.

What I tore down the motor, that was when I noticed the failed turbo. I pulled the 4th cylinder's piston to make sure I didn't melt a piston. I then put in new rings and rod bearing.

So far, I'm not having any problems. TU explained that the bearings in the turbo are softer then engine bearings. So I shouldn't have a problem with bearings.

I've been driving the car since Dec with no problems. I've back to beating the snot out of my car. I'm also back to running 20lbs of boost too.

Charger R/T
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
The debris should not make it to the bearings. Thats what the pick up screen and oil filter are for. When I bought my R/T the guy had just got it back from the shop for a cracked head and had fresh oil in it but the turbo froze and was pouring oil into the exhaust. I put a reman turbo on topped the oil and have 2k on the same oil.
Tim

cordes
04-23-2006, 09:22 PM
I had a turbo that was smoking like crazy, and I was forced to run it for a couple of weeks until I could swap it out. I just changed the oil and put the new turbo on. I even did the swap with the head on. No problems since.

WVRampage
04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Never taken the pan off after a turbo change just change the oil and go on.

turbo xtc
04-29-2006, 06:24 AM
i have had turbos leak oil through the exhaust side as long as the turbines have not got eating you can change the turbo and be ok but if the tubines are trashed then the cylinder is more than likely trashed too

ShadowBrad
04-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Had the bearing on the exhaust side of a Mitsu turbo go out while running 15lbs. Didn't know what had happened, just had no boost. Engine wasn't missing so I continued home. Took the intake tube off and the turbo wouldn't spin. The shaft had bent on the turbine side right inside the bearing, shaft was almost cut in two pieces and the turbine wheel was well clipped from hitting the housing. Swapped my garret on, changed the oil and went about driving it. Haven't had a problem since.