PDA

View Full Version : suspension/brake recomendations

Directconnection
04-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Replacing and also upgrading my VNT Shadow's suspension and brakes from the stock 10" setup to the '89 Shelby setup on the fronts only. If it's too costly, I will just go with the stock brake setup. But, I'd like people's input on what parts they used. Where I work, they have a Keystone account and I can get parts discounted, but need a part # to order.

So...I need part #s and what brands did you choose when doing your's.

BTW... wheel bearing, tie rods, balljoints, discs/calipers, etc...

Steve

Speedeuphoria
04-22-2006, 11:04 PM
the napa spicer ball joints and tie rods are the best by far(the more expensive ones they have)
you can get the 11" brakes for the front cheap from a yard
you may also want to include poly suspension bushings from johnny
you may also need a 24mm master cylinder for the brakes

turbovanmanČ
04-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Do you have the 11 inch setup yet? I have that if you need it, :nod:

I'll work on getting part numbers later for you.

inmyshadow
04-23-2006, 03:45 AM
There is no advantage of the 11in brakes, short of road racing the car. The setup is to costly in performance and cost compare to the caravan upgrades.

Have you priced a brand new 11in rotor? Only place I've been able to get them, is from the dealer. Parts stores wanted twice as much as dealer. If they could even get them.

Upgrade to caravan front brakes and good pads with my 90 Shadow ES. Weight is pretty much the same. Parts are cheap and easy to get. Throw in some good biting pads and you are all set. Take the money you save on 11in setup for braided lines.

I've never been able to fade the caravan brake setup in two years of autocrossing.

turbovanmanČ
04-23-2006, 01:32 PM
James, I agree with the price on rotors, when I put the 11 inch on my van, last year, they were damn expensive. Now, for some reason, there very reasonable.

Directconnection
04-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Do you have the 11 inch setup yet? I have that if you need it, :nod:

I'll work on getting part numbers later for you.

Thanks for the offer Simon... but I have a couple sets already:eyebrows:

Part #s would be great! That way I could order via Keystone with the work account and get my parts pretty cheap. (maybe I could return the favor):lol:

turbovanmanČ
04-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the offer Simon... but I have a couple sets already:eyebrows:

Part #s would be great! That way I could order via Keystone with the work account and get my parts pretty cheap. (maybe I could return the favor):lol:

Hahhha, you never know. Send me a PM on everypart you want and I will get it done today or tomorrow. I assume Raybesto's, Bendix, Carlson are all ok for you?

Directconnection
04-23-2006, 02:50 PM
There is no advantage of the 11in brakes, short of road racing the car. The setup is to costly in performance and cost compare to the caravan upgrades.

Have you priced a brand new 11in rotor? Only place I've been able to get them, is from the dealer. Parts stores wanted twice as much as dealer. If they could even get them.

Upgrade to caravan front brakes and good pads with my 90 Shadow ES. Weight is pretty much the same. Parts are cheap and easy to get. Throw in some good biting pads and you are all set. Take the money you save on 11in setup for braided lines.

I've never been able to fade the caravan brake setup in two years of autocrossing.

11" rotors being expensive? I didn't think so. I'll have to double check.

As far as braking goes... I don't plan to autocross my car. I am more concerned at what my brakes are going to do at 120-140mph without having to sacrafice everyday driving.

But...tell me about the Caravan vs 11" Shelby setup. I have forgotten! I think the Caravan uses a bigger piston, yet are still 10"" brakes, right?

Directconnection
04-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Hahhha, you never know. Send me a PM on everypart you want and I will get it done today or tomorrow. I assume Raybesto's, Bendix, Carlson are all ok for you?

Yes. I need balljoint and tie rod and wheel bearings.... not sure what other reccomend, except Spicer/Dana. CRAPA is Spicer/Dana, correct?

I'll PM you later Simon. I have to go back to housework...yeah! Married life has castrated me.

turbovanmanČ
04-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes. I need balljoint and tie rod and wheel bearings.... not sure what other reccomend, except Spicer/Dana. CRAPA is Spicer/Dana, correct?

I'll PM you later Simon. I have to go back to housework...yeah! Married life has castrated me.

Yep, Napa/Spicer good, Moog bad, :nod:

Hahhaa, not marrried yet but close. I have it good, her work asked them to do the 10KM Sun Run, she asked me if I wanted to do it, I laughed and said no. She just called me, she has 2 more Km's to go. She was up at 6:30, I slept in till 10, hehehehhehhehe!

afsautoworx
04-24-2006, 12:10 AM
I am more concerned at what my brakes are going to do at 120-140mph
:evil: :D

Whorse
04-24-2006, 12:19 AM
I got a deal, but still, I paid 165 bucks for front and rear discs (E-Brake Drum on Rear Disc) and pads for all 4 sides, and that's CDN. If you just want regular vented discs, they're not too bad. Maybe get the GTC rims? I can try to find a part number from what I bought.

inmyshadow
04-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Back a few years ago when running my daytona. Each rotor cost me 45 bucks from the dealer on my account. I couldn't even get most parts stores to order them. Some couldn't even get them. The parts store going price was 85 bucks a rotor.

The caravan brakes are simply a larger caliper along with bigger master cylinder. I've have never faded the brakes on my 90 Shadow ES durning the years I owned it.

turbovanmanČ
04-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Only $45, thats nothing. Dude, if thats an expensive rotor, you haven't lived, :p

I priced them out last year, $120 MY COST, from Jobber. Dealer was more. :eek:

inmyshadow
04-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I just went to the parts store. They are asking 45 bucks per 11in rotor.

And yes I do think 45 bucks a rotor is expensive. I personally like to replace rotors instead of having them turned. So at 190 for all four, I'd stick with 80 bucks or so for 10in. Plus I can goto any part store and buy 10in rotors on the spot. Can't do that with the 11in rotors.

Only $45, thats nothing. Dude, if thats an expensive rotor, you haven't lived, :p

I priced them out last year, $120 MY COST, from Jobber. Dealer was more. :eek:

Garret
04-25-2006, 12:25 AM
So using the Minivan Master cylinder is a complete bolt in for a rear disc equiped car? and the Minivan calipers you just need the calipers and brackets correct? The reason I ask is I am junking my 89 Turbo mini, and I'll just remove the calipers and M/C and put them on my daytona if they will work