PDA

View Full Version : TPS wiring for 89 Dodge Caravan Turbo I

jeff1234
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Hello all, I need the pin outs and wire colors for 1989 throttle position sensor for a turbo I in a Dodge Caravan. In other words, of pins A B C, which is signal, which is 5 VDC and which is ground and what are their colors?
I looked at oldschoolhotrodder and their site is down for upgrades or something.
Thanks, jeff1234 :)

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Not sure what A and C.

A/C=vio/white-5 volt ref voltage from computer
B=orange/drk blue-signal return from TPS to computer-this is the voltage that changes based on throttle position
A/C=blk/lt blue-sensor ground.

jeff1234
05-11-2009, 11:24 PM
TVM, Thanks, I ought to be able to get there with that info. The colors match what I have on the bench. SAVED:nod:

cout
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Not sure what A and C.

A/C=vio/white-5 volt ref voltage from computer
B=orange/drk blue-signal return from TPS to computer-this is the voltage that changes based on throttle position
A/C=blk/lt blue-sensor ground.

Interesting. Why did they flip them? Did some cars have the TPS on the opposite side of the throttle body?

On my '89 4cyl turbo, I have A as BK/LB, B as VT/WT, and C as OR/DB, but on the wiring harness I grabbed from a V6 from the same year, A is OR/DB and C is BK/LB.

So if I want to measure the voltage, I would measure between OR/DB and VT/WT? If I measure between BK/LB and VT/WT, then the voltage is inverted from what it should be.

turbovanmanČ
10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Interesting. Why did they flip them? Did some cars have the TPS on the opposite side of the throttle body?

On my '89 4cyl turbo, I have A as BK/LB, B as VT/WT, and C as OR/DB, but on the wiring harness I grabbed from a V6 from the same year, A is OR/DB and C is BK/LB.

So if I want to measure the voltage, I would measure between OR/DB and VT/WT? If I measure between BK/LB and VT/WT, then the voltage is inverted from what it should be.

Not sure what you mean about flipping the sensor, nearly all have the TPS wiring setup the same, well domestic cars anyhow. The middle is the signal, which is where you check the sensor for flucuating voltage, then the outers are the 5 volt ref voltage and ground, so you'd simply measure the outer ones to ground, note which one is power, then you can check the ground going from A-C, if A is ground, then A-B will give you the TPS output.