PDA

View Full Version : What camshaft would you recommend for me

kberguy
05-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I have been gathering parts for a Turbo IV engine rebuild for a while now. My aim is to get up into the 400 hp range, and I need to decide on an initial camshaft profile to try. My engine combination will be as follows:

1989 casting date VNT/Turbo IV engine block bored .040" OS and fitted with four bolt Pro-Gram main caps and ARP main studs
Cast iron common block crankshaft
TU forged connecting rods (by K1/Carillo)
Wiseco forged pistons and rings
Professionally ported 445 casting G head with 1 mm OS intake and exhaust valves, PT lifter conversion and Comp Cams Beehive springs/LS1 retainers to allow for 7000 rpm redline and .575" valve lift
Cometic gasket and ARP cylinder head studs for a better seal
Lower intake manifold runners from a 87 Turbo II manifold fitted with a custom intake manifold plenum and +40% injectors
TU Cast exhaust manifold with 3" swing valve
Garrett GT3076R turbocharger with Chrysler flange
Spearco air to air intercooler system.

The engine will connect to a A-568 17 spline Transaxle, and will be in a 1988 Chrysler Lebaron 2 door coupe that has been lightened to around 2600 lb. It will have a 3" mandrel bent exhaust system with 3" catalytic convertor to ensure low restriction.

This car is not going to be a daily driver, but will see both street and strip driving. I am aiming to get into the low 11 second range at the strip with slicks.

BadAssPerformance
05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I would start with a stock '89 turbo cam and see how it runs before making a guess at what cam to put in it...

If you want to guess, I made ~400whp with an FM475 cam, anything with more lift and duration like an S60 has the potential to make more power.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, he's a local for me, :thumb:

I suggested he post up here, my recommendations are an S3 or the S60, :thumb:

Warren Stramer
05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
With that combination of parts and HP goals I would use a FWD P4 roller as it will make similar power and torque as the S3 but be easier on valve train parts. The P4 has a more symetric lobe profile and slightly wider LSA. At the track they are equal in power.

kberguy
05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
With that combination of parts and HP goals I would use a FWD P4 roller as it will make similar power and torque as the S3 but be easier on valve train parts. The P4 has a more symetric lobe profile and slightly wider LSA. At the track they are equal in power.

Did you mean an FWD Performance F-4 camshaft, or is this a different company/grind? I looked at that, but was wondering if an F-3 profile would meet my needs.

Does anyone have experience on the seat of the pants difference between an F-3 and an F-4 in the same engine combination?

One thing I have decided is that it will need to be done on a billet blank so I have the stock base circle. From what I have heard, you need to shim up PT lifters too high if using a regrind cam.

bakes
05-11-2009, 03:58 PM
How high do you intend to spin up this motor in the 1/4 (not what the valve train take)?

R/Tony
05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I would start with a stock '89 turbo cam and see how it runs before making a guess at what cam to put in it...

If you want to guess, I made ~400whp with an FM475 cam, anything with more lift and duration like an S60 has the potential to make more power.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

the FM475 has .475 lift... but which one will be better, the FM505 or the S60 ?, they have almost the same lift ~.500... I want it for a 2.5

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Did you mean an FWD Performance F-4 camshaft, or is this a different company/grind? I looked at that, but was wondering if an F-3 profile would meet my needs.

Does anyone have experience on the seat of the pants difference between an F-3 and an F-4 in the same engine combination?

One thing I have decided is that it will need to be done on a billet blank so I have the stock base circle. From what I have heard, you need to shim up PT lifters too high if using a regrind cam.

FWD cams.

You still need shims even with a new cam, the PT lifters are shorter than stock, no way around that.

Warren Stramer
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM

I'm sorry, yes I meant F4. Do not be concerned about using shims, at least with stock type lifters. for me they have been trouble free.
Also I can see no reason to use a slider cam in one of these engines when there are so many roller cam choices now.
Simon's S60 roller might also be worth a try but I've never used one so I cannot say how they are power wise, but if they are an exact copy as far as all the timing events go then they are probably a good cam.

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Also I can see no reason to use a slider cam in one of these engines when there are so many roller cam choices now.
Simon's S60 roller might also be worth a try but I've never used one so I cannot say how they are power wise.

Agreed on the sliders.

I have a few S60's out that were supposed to be dyno'd but no one has done it yet, :mecry:

BadAssPerformance
05-11-2009, 07:00 PM
the FM475 has .475 lift... but which one will be better, the FM505 or the S60 ?, they have almost the same lift ~.500... I want it for a 2.5

Depends on the rest of the setup... bigger is not always better... but usually is, LOL!

kberguy
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
How high do you intend to spin up this motor in the 1/4 (not what the valve train take)?

I will likely limit engine speed to around 6800 rpm, depending on how the ported head flows. If it is still a bottle neck, there will be no point to revving that high.

bakes
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
i would try Simons S60 then