PDA

View Full Version : Axle paint

turboshad
05-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I'll be dropping the back axle next week to get blasted and paint. I'm not looking to spend a pile of cash on it otherwise I woudl send it to the coater. So I was wondering what others were using for a durable axle paint?

DJ

bakes
05-08-2009, 05:57 PM
i like to use POR (paint over rust ) its not cheap but it goes a long way

135sohc
05-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Several light coats of rattle can black.

minigts
05-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Several light coats of rattle can black.

Ditto. Clean them well and put a descent coat of black and clear. It will go a long way. Won't hold to the test of rocks and stuff hitting it or lots of chemicals the way powder coating will, but cheap and to be honest, most won't ever see them, even when trying to see them from the engine bay. Don't waste your money on powder coating for that unless just can.

neongary
05-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I like to use Eastwood's Chassis Black. Rattle can easy and very durable. Not as cheap as off the shelf paint though.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=14351&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=410&iSubCat=415&iProductID=14351

135sohc
05-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I like to use Eastwood's Chassis Black. Rattle can easy and very durable. Not as cheap as off the shelf paint though.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=14351&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=410&iSubCat=415&iProductID=14351

I didnt even think about that and I've got a qt can of the 'extreme chassis black' sitting right here by the computer! forgot they sold it in rattle cans also :o

nsd811
05-09-2009, 06:49 PM
that stuff is far and away the best choice never used in rattle can though always brushed it.good luck

turboshad
05-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Sometimes I really wish I lived in the states. By the time I buy stuff like that it turns into $40 a can and takes 2 weeks to get here. I think I will just try a good ol rattle can job. If it starts chipping up really bad I plan ahead and order up something like the eastwood stuff. After all it isn't all that hard to yank the axle again if I have too. Thanks for all the input. :clap:

DJ

neongary
05-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Sometimes I really wish I lived in the states. By the time I buy stuff like that it turns into $40 a can and takes 2 weeks to get here. I think I will just try a good ol rattle can job. If it starts chipping up really bad I plan ahead and order up something like the eastwood stuff. After all it isn't all that hard to yank the axle again if I have too. Thanks for all the input. :clap:

DJ

There are some decent off the shelf paints too. I've used Rustoleum in the past with good results. I think prep is the key to a good paint job.

minigts
05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Prep is 90% of all paint work. I've sprayed rattle can on my brakes and haven't had ANY issues with it flaking off. Some brake fluid and some rocks have chipped and messed it up, but inside where the pads sit is still the silver I sprayed about 7 years ago.

83rampage
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM

DJ

The last stuff I got from Home Depot. Don't remember the brand name, but it was "satin black" (might have been Rustoleum). Looks very close to chassis black. Was $6-7 a spray can.