PDA

View Full Version : P-body gas tank strap?

Shadow24
05-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, driving back to my appt the other day i heard something dragging on the road. i pulled over and the drivers side tank strap had partially fallen off. the rear part of the strap where it bolts to the body had rusted enough that it just fell off.

Is there an easy way to fix this or am i going to have to break out the grinder and the welder next to the gas tank? I was thinking if i can access that spot through the trunk, i could just drill a couple holes and bolt the sucker back on and call it good for now. any other ideas would be great and ill get some pics to post today

iTurbo
05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I got new straps for my Lancer at NAPA. I'm sure they have new ones for P bodies too. But if the stud broke, you can get new studs from the dealership. They come with a plate on top that you have to weld in from the top. You have to peel back the sheetmetal floor for access. I have new studs ready for my Lancer but for now I just drilled a hole adjacent to the original stud and have it bolted up. Sucks when I have to drop the tank because I have to have somebody hold the bolt while I remove the nut underneath.

Mario
05-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I got new straps for my Lancer at NAPA. I'm sure they have new ones for P bodies too. But if the stud broke, you can get new studs from the dealership. They come with a plate on top that you have to weld in from the top. You have to peel back the sheetmetal floor for access. I have new studs ready for my Lancer but for now I just drilled a hole adjacent to the original stud and have it bolted up. Sucks when I have to drop the tank because I have to have somebody hold the bolt while I remove the nut underneath.

I did the same...but double nutted it. I'm sure someone will have a great comment about that.

Dusty_Duster
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
NAPA and most other auto parts stores can get those straps for you. They aren't very expensive, if I recall.

Mario
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
No they aren't. And you can get them at RockAuto.com as well. :thumb:

crazymadbastard
05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I did the same...but double nutted it. I'm sure someone will have a great comment about that.

tea bagged it?
:thumb:
I was trying to remove my tank but the welds must have broken off and the stud kept spinning not letting crack the nut. ;)

turbo84voyager
05-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I broke the studs when I puled the tank from my shadow. I ground the studs flush and welded studs i picked up at the local hardware store in.

Shadow24
05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
hmmm, maybe ill drill and put a new stud in but weld the stud to the sheet metal, no spinning stud then! :) ill look and see what the straps are going for where i am, even though mine look ok, just the mounting broke off

cordes
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
hmmm, maybe ill drill and put a new stud in but weld the stud to the sheet metal, no spinning stud then! :) ill look and see what the straps are going for where i am, even though mine look ok, just the mounting broke off

I took a piece of threaded rod, double nutted it, and smeared a little JB Weld over the top where the stock plate sat. It works great.

raccoon
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
1 cut straps
2 remove tank
3 use torch
4 remove bolts without breaking studs.